Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Undoubtedly TCVA voucher. Cash is only given to IDB by UA. I have heard of other airlines giving out cash incintive (AA) or Visa gift cards (DL).
Credit for food/etc. came in the form of MasterCard gift cards.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:43 pm

Any Strategy for VDB when Flight is Fully Sold Out (no longer for sale by UA)?

Flying first leg CHO - IAD on Wednesday. Flight is no longer for sale at ua.com. Seat map full.
Any strategy for VDB?

Last edited by shdflyer; Nov 4, 2019 at 5:49 pm
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shdflyer
Flying first leg CHO - IAD on Wednesday. Flight is no longer for sale at ua.com. Seat map full.
Any strategy for IDB?
Do you have any status with UA? Do you have a seat assignment?

IDB is exceptionally rare (less than 100 annually for UA, out of 150 million passenger)

You might have a chance for a VDB, but there is no strategy for IDB - it is an unicorn event.

And most sold out flights end up taking standbys.
jsloan and jjmoore like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shdflyer
Any strategy for VDB?
Research alternative flights to your destination. Volunteer on the app and/or kiosk. Get to the gate an hour prior to departure. Ask the gate agent if they're oversold, and if so, if they need volunteers; if the agent says they're oversold but have enough volunteers, say, "oh, I volunteered online/at the kiosk; does that count?"

Then, prepare to board your original flight, because, sad to say, VDB is getting to be very rare as they continue to cut down on the number of oversales they allow. (Although, there are actually two zeroed-out CHO-IAD flights on Wednesday, so maybe they do have a load issue)
shdflyer likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Interesting questions regarding VDB. I hope someone can advise.

I purchased a fully refundable fare for a domestic flight later this evening because due to various factors that are quite complicated I will not know until the last minute if I need to fly or not. When I checked in for the flight VDB offer popped up so I selected the voucher option and which subsequent flight I'm willing to fly on. In the event they accept my offer for VDB, then I have the following 2 questions:

1) Does the ticket on the new flight remain fully refundable (i.e. same fare rules as my current one)?
2) In the event that I do not end up having to fly and cancel my ticket, do I still get to keep the voucher I received for VDB?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
1) Does the ticket on the new flight remain fully refundable (i.e. same fare rules as my current one)?
2) In the event that I do not end up having to fly and cancel my ticket, do I still get to keep the voucher I received for VDB?
Yes to both.

However, the fact that they're soliciting volunteers doesn't mean that they will actually end up needing any. VDBs have gotten increasingly rare.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes to both.

However, the fact that they're soliciting volunteers doesn't mean that they will actually end up needing any. VDBs have gotten increasingly rare.
Yeah so I wonder why they keep having these offers pop up during check in process...

Thanks for your response.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: United 1K
I'm flying SFO-IAH-SYD in J. A United agent called me at T-36 and states the flight was overbooked in J. She asked if I was willing to change to the direct SFO-SYD flight in exchange for a $500 voucher. I declined since I will be joining a family member who is departing from IAH.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
I'm flying SFO-IAH-SYD in J. A United agent called me at T-36 and states the flight was overbooked in J. She asked if I was willing to change to the direct SFO-SYD flight in exchange for a $500 voucher. I declined since I will be joining a family member who is departing from IAH.
If they were over by two, seems like a good opportunity to get $1000 by having your family member connect through SFO as well, assuming the schedule worked out...
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Just curious... was it the SFO-IAH that was oversold, or the IAH-SYD that was oversold? Not sure if they mentioned that to you, but if the int'l leg was overbooked, they likely would be asking for a lot more than $500 at the gate.

Many times, these proactive approaches by UA mean they are in a sticky situation.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:35 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
A true oversold J cabin is a rarity and will cost UA thousands to "fix" at the gate (presuming it was the over the ocean leg) so this was for sure a low-ball approach. I have had this happen once in the last ~10 years on a LAX > LIH leg of an ORD > LAX > LIH trip. Even as a GS at the time an agent proactively called to tried to get me to swap to ORD > HNL > LIH. My wife hates the island hoppers so I declined but they offered me $3,000 ETC ($1,500 each) to swap because they were over by 2 on a 752. I asked how that even happened and the GS representative basically said they had irrops with some mega-VIP and that this was now dropped in their lap.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Just curious... was it the SFO-IAH that was oversold, or the IAH-SYD that was oversold? Not sure if they mentioned that to you, but if the int'l leg was overbooked, they likely would be asking for a lot more than $500 at the gate.

Many times, these proactive approaches by UA mean they are in a sticky situation.
IAH-SYD was oversold.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:15 pm

I was able to view the comments the agent left on my PNR:

Code:
PSGR DECLINED DCMT FLT 101 IAHSYD/#####
01 REMARKS ADDED BY FFC SU 6P 14NOV 1558Z #####

I've redacted what appears to be the employee ID.

Does anyone know what is meant by DCMT or FFC?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I was able to view the comments the agent left on my PNR:

Code:

I've redacted what appears to be the employee ID.

I can’t answer your question regarding the acronyms without guessing. However, I’m so much curious on how you were able to view the notes in your PNR. That’s something new to me. Thanks and enjoy your travels
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Code:

I'd be guessing too, but 'decrement'? As in: Passenger declined reducing UA101 by 1 (decrementing). Just a guess.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.