FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:19 pm
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by scracer14
I almost did this last night in MCO. Needed one volunteer, and I had bid $800 in the app, so I approached the podium. GA took down my info and I waited to board, about halfway through boarding, she protected me on a later flight but said we would have to wait until the end.

Once everyone boarded, she said she needed my seat, and would print the voucher shortly. I said "for $800 right" and she laughed and said, "no, $500, we don't use bid numbers." I replied, "Okay, I'll stick with this flight then."

She called a supervisor over who told her to go to #2 on the list (although was fairly certain I was the only one who had been waiting to board), so she paged another PAX. I hadn't boarded yet so I thought about it, and then took the $500. When the other PAX got to the podium, the GA said, "sorry, there's no room for standby on this flight" - It was 100% a bluff, and she got me!

I was happy with the $500 ultimately, and I cant be mad at the bluff, because I was doing the same. Won't get me a second time though!
I'm fairly certain you were not bluffed at all. Anyone who checked in via the app (or even kiosk) and saw the offer to volunteer and did so would be on that list. There was almost definitely someone after you on the list. Now whether they were already boarded on the flight or not is a totally separate issue but whatever name the GA paged on the PA system was not made up (IMO). You could have held out for the $800 or had the GA go on board and find another volunteer for $500. Keep in mind you would have been stuck in whatever seat the person who ultimately took the bump vacated.

-RM