Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Have to meet the normal UC entrance requirements -- same day UA or *A/partner arrival / departure BP for that airport.
I've been wondering what they actually define as "partner" outside of Star Alliance especially with the "contracted" wording?

One scenario I can think of is at MCO where Aer Lingus uses the UC so a statusless EI coach passenger with UC membership could enter?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

One scenario I can think of is at MCO where Aer Lingus uses the UC so a statusless EI coach passenger with UC membership could enter?
I'd bet no. EI is nt a *A carrier. The fact that EI buys lounge access from UA is not relevant.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'd bet no. EI is nt a *A carrier. The fact that EI buys lounge access from UA is not relevant.
The bp has to be UA,*A or "contracted partner"? So I am wondering what carries are those?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The bp has to be UA,*A or "contracted partner"? So I am wondering what carries are those?
I'd presume an EI business class passenger is a "contracted partner" BP but an economy BP is nt.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'd presume an EI business class passenger is a "contracted partner" BP but an economy BP is nt.
But given that the UC at MCO is contracted for EI Business passegers in any case why should UC membership be relevant?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
But given that the UC at MCO is contracted for EI Business passegers in any case why should UC membership be relevant?
Depends on the terms of the contract -- which we don't have access to. Suppose it is contracting carriers' responsibility to make known to passengers.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Given what’s going on with not a lot of people flying and lots of routes being stopped which may force passengers to fly other airlines relaxing the rule having to be flying UA or partner to enter club. AA and DL should do the same.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Given what’s going on with not a lot of people flying and lots of routes being stopped which may force passengers to fly other airlines relaxing the rule having to be flying UA or partner to enter club. AA and DL should do the same.
I think Kirby is happier closing a club instead...
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Much more likely to just temporarily close all clubs due to the drop in demand and the sanitary issues of buffets.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
I decided not to pay for UC membership for next year. Instead, this week I paid for AS lounge membership. AS doesn't care which airline you are flying, just as UC used to.

UC, where you now pay more for less.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2021 at 2:35 pm Reason: split post
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Guate87
... this week I paid for AS lounge membership. AS doesn't care which airline you are flying, ...
If the four AS lounge airports (ANC, SEA, PDX, LAX, with SFO in the future, JFK closed) work for you than that may be the right choice for you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2021 at 1:52 pm Reason: specific airports
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided not to pay for UC membership for next year. Instead, this week I paid for AS lounge membership. AS doesn't care which airline you are flying, just as UC used to.

UC, where you now pay more for less.
Plus the AS lounge attendants seem much friendlier.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2021 at 2:38 pm Reason: edit to reflect moderator action
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
If the four AS lounge airports (ANC, SEA, PDX, LAX, with SFO in the future, JFK closed) work for you than that may be the right choice for you.
AS lounge membership also gets me into AA lounges. I fly AA tomorrow. I am Plat with AA.

AMEX Platinum gets me into DL lounges and Centurion lounges. I fly DL Saturday. I am Plat with DL.

I have UC day passes but IAH has KLM (PP) and Centurion. CSR gets me into PP.

UC membership does not have enough value for me.

After UA took the showers out of IAH UC Terminal E and put them in the PL, I was done with UC. Polaris is nice but there is no PL membership. Now, if UA sold PL membership...

Last edited by Guate87; Apr 29, 2021 at 6:03 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 5:49 pm

AS lounge membership also gets me into AA lounges. ......
But does not AA lounge access have the same limitations as UA, same day travel? Does not sound like you have really gained that much
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:05 pm

But does not AA lounge access have the same limitations as UA, same day travel? Does not sound like you have really gained that much
Yes, but as AS MVP Gold 75K I only had to pay $300 for AS lounge membership.

After the $200 back from AMEX Plat, AS lounge membership cost me $100.

UA does not give a similar deep discount to us 1Ks.

Last edited by Guate87; Apr 29, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.