Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA
All UCs are also arrival lounges for UA *G, premium cabins, and club members; the only arrival "restriction" is that there it is up to the passenger to get airside if you need to clear immigration/customs/etc.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

Originally Posted by nsx
Neither. Just a one time UC pass.
Did they already use the UC pass in SFO? Just checking, but you can't use the same pass twice. If it was a fresh pass, then it was just a mistake by the dragon and a supervisor should have been able to clear it with no issue.

Last edited by thejaredhuang; Mar 30, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
All UCs are also arrival lounges for *G, premium cabins, and club members; the only arrival "restriction" is that there it is up to the passenger to get airside if you need to clear immigration/customs/etc.

Did they already use the UC pass in SFO? Just checking, but you can't use the same pass twice. If it was a fresh pass, then it was just a mistake by the dragon and a supervisor should have been able to clear it with no issue.
Arrivals is true for UA Business and Polaris but not Star Alliance, UA*G flying on an international itinerary can use it on arrival but not *G from all others.
thejaredhuang likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA
Thanks for the clarification.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
All UCs are also arrival lounges for UA *G, premium cabins, and club members; the only arrival "restriction" is that there it is up to the passenger to get airside if you need to clear immigration/customs/etc.

No the pass is still unused.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 12:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
United Club Access 016 Hawaiian Airlines

Hello,

I’m stuck with crappy Wi-Fi at the Sheraton Waikiki which seems to also block access to FlyerTalk. Not sure which side is doing the blocking but I’m using single bar mobile to write this.

I booked HNL to OGG on Hawaiian Airline via United and my ticket is 016, under the “contracted carrier” clause, can I access the club with my UC membership?
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by seat38a
Hello,

I’m stuck with crappy Wi-Fi at the Sheraton Waikiki which seems to also block access to FlyerTalk. Not sure which side is doing the blocking but I’m using single bar mobile to write this.

I booked HNL to OGG on Hawaiian Airline via United and my ticket is 016, under the “contracted carrier” clause, can I access the club with my UC membership?
Interesting question. After a quick search, I didn't find a list or definition of "contracted carrier" on their lounge access pages. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
I don't think the 016 ticket stock is a factor. Let us know if you try and what the outcome is.

I think Flyertalk / Cloudflare has upped their blocking criteria. I am getting blocked intermittently from my work network, which never used to happen at all. Now regularly.
Hopefully they adjust soon. Very annoying.
Xyzzy and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
My guess is no unless you have a UA flight on the same day.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)
Old Apr 9, 2022, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
One of the lounges in the HNL interisland terminal accepts Priority Pass.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
If you are in first class, that gets you in.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trm2
If you are in first class, that gets you in.
First Class on Hawaiian HNL-OGG gets one into Hawaiian’s Pualani lounge (soda/coffee/juice/pretzels). Underwhelming experience. And it’s on the opposite end of the terminal complex (which is OK for a HA departure). If one is checking bags, it is sometimes worthwhile to buy up to First inter-island for the baggage allowance, lounge access, and the chance to prove one can guzzle a beer in 10 minutes between islands. Premier and Chase card bag fee waivers do not apply at Hawaiian check-in counters.

HNL—OGG does not get access w/ United Club card without same-day United or *A arrival or departure. Hawaiian is not *A partner. 016 ticket is irrelevant.

“Contracted carrier” means something like SkyWest, with UA-liveried planes, not Hawaiian.

Honolulu UC desk agents are very adept at turning away HA passengers who do not qualify - they see a lot of them. And it’s a long trudge back to the inter island terminal, although the wiki-wiki buses are running again with shut down of SafeTravels.
SPN Lifer and seat38a like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 9, 2022 at 2:21 pm
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And it’s a long trudge back to the inter island terminal, although the wiki-wiki buses are running again with shut down of SafeTravels.
I wouldn't make the walk even if I had access. Too far.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Than you all. I ended up just using PP to get into HA’s Plumeria lounge.
SPN Lifer, goodeats21 and 8MiHi like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
01Jun22: Most arriving pax lose Sky Club Access; entry allowed 3 hrs before departure - FlyerTalk Forums

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 4, 2022 at 6:08 pm Reason: Removed duplicate lifetime member discussion
Old May 4, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Previous UC benefits, now gone
  • Access to the UC even when not flying
  • Access to the UC when flying another airline
  • Amex and (former) US Airways Club tie-ins
I sincerely hope UA doesn't follow DL's new lounge policy.

Regarding the 3 hour rule, how many people are camping out in the UC for more than 3 hours in their origination city or accessing the UC on arrival? I do see you can show up early if you claim you're standing by for an earlier flight. Eight hour connection? No problem. But finish a meeting early and head to the airport more then 3 hours before flight time with no earlier flight? Sit on the floor outside the UC so you can at least use the WiFi.

As for arrivals, if airline performance wasn't so undependable, I wouldn't feel the need to fly in for a client meeting early morning and work at the UC until time to leave for the meeting. Early hotel check-in isn't always an option. Also on an early morning departure from an airport with no UC and no/limited food in that airport or on board, being able to eat breakfast in the UC on arrival is useful. I don't do it a lot but count on it when needed on occasion.

Do you really want to add to the wait to get into a UC with lounge agents having to explain why someone is still 5 minutes too early to access the Club? Don't do it UA. You already charge enough for the membership or Chase card with membership. And what about other *A flyers and the restrictions those airlines will then put on UA flyers if UA limits their lounge access?

Last edited by tarheelnj; May 4, 2022 at 7:34 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 5, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Besides DEN, EWR C74, ORD B6 and SFO E-too small, what other UCs are getting out of hand with demand?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.