Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
They seem to differentiate between premium cabin and everyone else on the website.

For Polaris and "United Business":

It doesn't say "and arrival" for any other group of people (*A Gold, United Club members, etc.).
Wording from their T&C for the Club:

Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ges/rules.html

It definitely includes arriving customers too for Club members,

For UA*G: (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)

This could be interpreted to mean all clubs along the travelers same day INTL routing.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

For OAL*G: Star Alliance member airline and departing from the same airport

In this example one flying MCO-ORD would only have access at MCO unless connecting further from ORD. Clarifies it clear that departing from the same city required.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3
If that is the case then why cut it, especially with AA and DL offering exemptions for lifetime members??
I have no idea, but I'm 100% certain it's the case.

There aren't that many lifetime members in the first place. Of those who are flying, the vast majority of them will be using UA/*A on days that they're using the club anyway. As has been pointed out, the UCs are located for maximum convenience for UA travelers. At some outstations (like AUS), that's not a huge impediment -- but, again, how many lifetime members are in the Austin airport at any given time, no matter what airline?

The most crowded clubs, for obvious reasons, are the hub airports, and I doubt that many people are trying to get to the hub airport clubs when not traveling UA. Even in airports where everything is airside, UA generally has the entire terminal to itself / *A. So, you're talking about changing terminals just to get to a UC.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I have no idea, but I'm 100% certain it's the case.

There aren't that many lifetime members in the first place. Of those who are flying, the vast majority of them will be using UA/*A on days that they're using the club anyway. As has been pointed out, the UCs are located for maximum convenience for UA travelers. At some outstations (like AUS), that's not a huge impediment -- but, again, how many lifetime members are in the Austin airport at any given time, no matter what airline?

The most crowded clubs, for obvious reasons, are the hub airports, and I doubt that many people are trying to get to the hub airport clubs when not traveling UA. Even in airports where everything is airside, UA generally has the entire terminal to itself / *A. So, you're talking about changing terminals just to get to a UC.
Same deal at ATL, the UA Club is there to accommodate UA fliers as is the Admirals Club across from it. Few AA pax might access the UA Club and vice versa, mainly departing or arriving at ATL. Both AA and UA use the North half of Concourse T with no other tenants. DL pax using the South end of T gates have a long trek and I doubt anyone connecting DL to DL will take the train to use those AAirline loUAnges.

Silly UA standing their ground making sure LT members don't have access to cubes of cheese when on another carrier.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Same deal at ATL, the UA Club is there to accommodate UA fliers as is the Admirals Club across from it. Few AA pax might access the UA Club and vice versa, mainly departing or arriving at ATL. Both AA and UA use the North half of Concourse T with no other tenants. DL pax using the South end of T gates have a long trek and I doubt anyone connecting DL to DL will take the train to use those AAirline loUAnges.
I could be mistaken here but doesn't a UC membership give you access to all *A lounges in addition to UCs? How does access work in those cases? I know the *A website says in theory on a paid membership you need to be flying * to access said lounges however I wonder if the terms back then gave an explicit carve out for these people.

In any event, you would be surprised the numerous situations where you can find yourself being close to a UC whilst flying non *. Some examples:
  • LAS - UC in Concourse D shared by AA, DL, F9, HA, etc.
  • PHL - UC easily accessible from non * flights.
  • ORD - Terminal 2 has several UCs and it's my understanding that it's not all UA that flies out of that terminal
  • LAX - Terminal 7 has their new lounge and T7 is located quite close airside to T6 which boasts AS, Thomas Cook, etc.
  • DCA - Reagan Airport Terminal 2 shared with UA, AS and DL
  • LHR - Terminal 2 shared with EI
Those are just a couple of examples. I suspect there are more glaring examples out there but thought I'd point a few opportunities those not loyal to UA have on accessing the lounge.

Silly UA standing their ground making sure LT members don't have access to cubes of cheese when on another carrier.
Gotta save that cheese for the Senator mouse

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
*in an airport where its convenient.

I still come down all the time to where's the real harm? I think its stupid and dishonest that they changed the terms, but really , realistically, who is losing out here and on what? If I'm flying DL or AA, or a LCC, I'm probably flying out of another terminal, usually a schlep or worse, a security re-clear. For what? some mediocre F&B? You guys aren't poor grad students.
As someone who is a poor grad student I resent those remarks! Every time I fly I look forward to maxing out my use of lounges. I have and will continue to switch terminals if it means I can access the *A lounge at LAX with its wonderful food and showers, the SEN lounge at IAD/EWR for its wonderful food and YUL INTL MLL for the shower and food!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I could be mistaken here but doesn't a UC membership give you access to all *A lounges in addition to UCs? How does access work in those cases? I know the *A website says in theory on a paid membership you need to be flying * to access said lounges however I wonder if the terms back then gave an explicit carve out for these people.

In any event, you would be surprised the numerous situations where you can find yourself being close to a UC whilst flying non *. Some examples:
  • LAS - UC in Concourse D shared by AA, DL, F9, HA, etc.
  • PHL - UC easily accessible from non * flights.
  • ORD - Terminal 2 has several UCs and it's my understanding that it's not all UA that flies out of that terminal
  • LAX - Terminal 7 has their new lounge and T7 is located quite close airside to T6 which boasts AS, Thomas Cook, etc.
  • DCA - Reagan Airport Terminal 2 shared with UA, AS and DL
  • LHR - Terminal 2 shared with EI
Those are just a couple of examples. I suspect there are more glaring examples out there but thought I'd point a few opportunities those not loyal to UA have on accessing the lounge.

Gotta save that cheese for the Senator mouse

Safe Travels,

James
To all Star Alliance business lounges when traveling *A. However many dragons aren't aware of this so it takes a fight,

Yep, MCO concourse shared by AA and some B6, 3M, F9, NK etc.

The mouse holding SEN status will be deemed inadmissible by the CBP Agriculture so he won't be eating cheese which can instead be given to LT members (perhaps there's even a mouse with one) before his UA flights.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
As someone who is a poor grad student I resent those remarks! Every time I fly I look forward to maxing out my use of lounges. I have and will continue to switch terminals if it means I can access the *A lounge at LAX with its wonderful food and showers, the SEN lounge at IAD/EWR for its wonderful food and YUL INTL MLL for the shower and food!

Safe Travels,

James
You need a valid BP on a Star Alliance airline for entering those. Just like now with UA Club.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This threadhas had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
SS255 and NYC2SGN like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM

Safe Travels,

James
I was too, and I enjoyed more than my fair share of free booze and food. now I'm grown up
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
For those of you who have been in the UC’s since November 1: Are they any less over-crowded?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Wording from their T&C for the Club:

Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ges/rules.html

It definitely includes arriving customers too for Club members,

For UA*G: (departure airport can be different from that of the United Club location being entered)

This could be interpreted to mean all clubs along the travelers same day INTL routing.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

For OAL*G: Star Alliance member airline and departing from the same airport

In this example one flying MCO-ORD would only have access at MCO unless connecting further from ORD. Clarifies it clear that departing from the same city required.
Whoa!

I thought I had read though the T&C. Apparently not (or... this has been recently updated).

I'm still skeptical...

Will report back later this month.

I've written in twice about this and was told both times that I wouldn't be allowed access to the United Club unless my onward boarding pass was with UA or a *A partner (even though I am an annual member and had arrived at HKG from a UA flight).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
Whoa!

I thought I had read though the T&C. Apparently not (or... this has been recently updated).

I'm still skeptical...

Will report back later this month.

I've written in twice about this and was told both times that I wouldn't be allowed access to the United Club unless my onward boarding pass was with UA or a *A partner (even though I am an annual member and had arrived at HKG from a UA flight).
AFAIK the T&C has been like that for a long time.

It could be due to HKG not seeing many terminating passengers using the UC as an arrivals lounge it confuses them.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: United 1K
Partner Lounges

I use my United Club Membership to access the Alaska Lounge in the Anchorage airport as it is a partner lounge. I can't remember what I usually scan (I'm sure a boarding pass) - I'm headed out of Anchorage soon but I've hit 1K and I'm taking Delta. Will I be able to enter by showing by United Club Card (digital) or will they want a United Boarding Pass?

The digital card does say "Physical card needed to access Star Alliance and partner lounges" but I've never had it with me before. I wonder if I'll be able to enter or not? I know the written guidelines I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience? (As it relates to the changes effective 11/1/19)
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
I use my United Club Membership to access the Alaska Lounge in the Anchorage airport as it is a partner lounge. I can't remember what I usually scan (I'm sure a boarding pass) - I'm headed out of Anchorage soon but I've hit 1K and I'm taking Delta. Will I be able to enter by showing by United Club Card (digital) or will they want a United Boarding Pass?

The digital card does say "Physical card needed to access Star Alliance and partner lounges" but I've never had it with me before. I wonder if I'll be able to enter or not? I know the written guidelines I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience? (As it relates to the changes effective 11/1/19)
I believe contract lounges for UC members have always been for UA only.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by TxTraveler18

Your digital card *should* work. For what it is worth, in my experience Alaska Lounge access is always hit or miss. Regardless of which airline I'm flying, I just share my boarding pass + AC + SC + UC + PP cards. Usually one of them works. If you get denied entry, the microbrewery immediately below the lounge is quite compelling fwiw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.