Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous years' thread -- [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

PQDs are mostly earned by flying, but not all elites are subject to PQD requirements. PQDs can also be earned by Economy Plus purchases (by flight or subscription), although for anyone seeking to qualify for Gold or above an annual plan (min. $499) gets you nothing. There is no way to "pay" UA to fulfill PQD requirement in the qualifying year. There may be a status buy-up in January of the next year -- not cheap and does not come in small increments,
Non-USA registered MP members are exempt from PQD requirements.
Others can be exempt from PQDs up to the Premier Platinum level by having a Chase PresidentalPlus credit card {not open to new members} or by annually spending $25,000 or more as a primary MP branded Chase credit cardholder.
PQMs can be earned by flying UA or various flight partners and by various bonuses related to flying (class or service, promos, ...)
PQMs can be purchased by Premier Accelerator purchases. Certain legacy (not available to new customers) Chase MP credit cards earn PQMs or FPQMs

related threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality

Will UA Grant 2019 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2018?
and previously - Will UA Grant 2017 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it to stretch for Gold (over Silver)? [2018 Consolidated]
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017 Consolidated]

Last year's last resort
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pacfly
..... For example, San Francisco (SFO) to Sacramento (SMF) same-day roundtrip would be somewhat silly but would do the trick. Has anyone here optimized a similar itinerary? .
Google flights is a good tool for this
Pick a day, pick a carrier, pick a class, pick a starting point and look at the map
https://www.google.fr/flights#flt=SF...-958076172;t:e
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I concur with the LAX suggestion - the frequency is great. SFO-SMF is limited frequency and cancels are pretty common, so there's a decent chance you get stuck there for a while.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:11 pm

Thanks

Thanks for the great suggestions! All this time I've used Google Flights, I had no idea about the map mode. Agree 2+2 seating on the little Embraer is a better economy experience than 3+3 on a Boeing or Airbus. Considering all the time boarding, taxiing, deplaning, I might as well spend less money and a few extra actual airborne minutes and head down to So Cal.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott/SPG Gold (LT Gold), Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Nat'l Exec Elite
How long were you on the ground in SIN? Did you have to find a hotel or was it a turn in the airport and back to IAH?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:51 am

obtaining silver status

I'm $27 from silver but I dont have anymore planned trips this year. Is there anyway i can still qualify. I also have 47554 PQM.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kenny23692
I'm $27 from silver but I dont have anymore planned trips this year. Is there anyway i can still qualify. I also have 47554 PQM.
That's where I'm glad I have the credit card waiver. This year is the first year I've actually spent enough to have made it without the waiver.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
That's where I'm glad I have the credit card waiver. This year is the first year I've actually spent enough to have made it without the waiver.
It sucks because I've been living overseas and never changed my address!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It sucks because I've been living overseas and never changed my address!
If you are still living overseas, you can still change your address. And not only that but do a PQM accelerator and get to Gold.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Planning to try SIN out for the first time in January most likely (and use up last 2x 2018 GPUs without having to extend them to April). Don't quite need that many miles for the end of 2018.

Sounds like I should peruse the Singapore forum and PM you for some tips once plans are more solid.
FWIW, went with SGU for a couple of weeks down the road, as I haven't been out to Zion & Bryce in a while. I had the perfect itin, which gave me 107 PQM to spare and $7 PQD to hit 1k, but my wife reminded me I was helping her with a craft fair those dates. So I moved the trip up a week, IAD-DEN-SGU (in W?) and SGU-LAX-IAD (in C, with SGU-LAX in S), which cost me a little bit more (about $90) and gave me a few more miles than the original trip.

Still looking at SIN to start 2019 off right and use up my remaining 2018 GPUs...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA GLOBAL SERVICES - 1.2 million miles
Hopefully will re-qualify for GS

modal window popup
YTD Premier qualifying miles:
YTD Premier qualifying segments:199.5
YTD Premier qualifying dollars:modal window popup
Over $12,000
Regional Premier Upgrades:Regional Premier Upgrades:
Global Premier Upgrades:Global Premier Upgrades:
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If you are still living overseas, you can still change your address. And not only that but do a PQM accelerator and get to Gold.
Thats the thing, I dont have anymore flights planned for the rest of the year. I actually just crossed the 50k mileage mark yesterday with my flights into Africa but not purchased on united so no PDQ....
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thats the thing, I dont have anymore flights planned for the rest of the year. I actually just crossed the 50k mileage mark yesterday with my flights into Africa but not purchased on united so no PDQ....
If you passed the 50k mileage then you don't need to purchase a mileage accelerator. Did you do 4 segments on United? It has to be United or United Express metal.

If you have bills proving that you live abroad, like rent or electricity or whatever, you can change the address of your account to your address abroad. You will really benefit from this for your international flights.

Maybe I was not clear: if you live abroad you don't need to meet the PQD requirement. But you do need to meet the 4 segments on United.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 31, 2018 at 10:14 am Reason: Add Information
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by findark
I'd go to SoCal somewhere in Y on an E75 -- it's comfortable enough for two 50 minute flights and less than half the price. If you must be up front, you're going to struggle to pay much less than about $200 per direction. LAX is $183 right now.
On the other hand, as someone likely to come up a tad short on PQD for 1K, I've realized that it's the best situation if you have to fly - I'm looking at F tickets with the shortest turns. Seem to be ample opportunities for short flights out of IAD that would get me the ~$400 I likely need. No need to maximize miles . . .
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:25 pm

I have $12k+ in PQD but approx 12k miles short of 1K ... looking for suggestions on the best way to get these extra miles.

I can travel almost anytime and would rather not do MRs, but stay for a day or two (will work remotely). Was thinking of SFO-KIX and then to Hiroshima by train, for starters.

Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
LAS-SFO-LAX-LAS total 7 hours travel LAS to LAS, 1500 PQM, $149 total cost, used 1 Regional Upgrade Certificate (upgraded on all 3 segments) . This gives 100100 PQM and $11830 PQD for the year (luckily not USA resident, but so close otherwise!) to maintain 1K status for 12th year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.