Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by 1kEA

This.

First time poster, long time lurker!

ORD terminal 1 - at both ends of C and D are the worst. Nowhere near enough room for current process.
I’m guessing you mean B and C?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by cricketer
The intent, I believe, is that you just walk up to the (heavily NEC branded) kiosk, your picture is snapped as you walk up, and you move on. No document scanning required, but they tell you that for US citizens, the photo is erased after 14 days, whereas for others it is permanently stored. Apparently the image is being matched to your passport photo - but who knows what's really happening.

Unfortunately it wasn't quite as smooth as that... it was one at a time, from four lines, move forward only when called by the CPB officer. Unless you were a DYKWIA type, of which there were bucketloads, in which case you just barge through the lines and race forward.

Was amusing also to see a few people go through all of this, and then sent back because they weren't in rows 1-18.
LOL! Biometric exit defeating the new 1K boarding perk. How lovely.

"But Oscar, your letter said I'd get to board early!"

FYI CBP Biometric Exit FAQ (external)

Just before departure, each international traveler’s photo is taken, by either CBP-owned cameras or equipment provided by the airlines or airport authority. CBP compares the photo with existing images from passports, visas and other travel documents, as applicable, in a secure environment using the Traveler Verification Service (TVS). These images include photographs taken by CBP during the entry inspection, photographs from U.S. passports and U.S. visas, and photographs from previous DHS encounters.

Last edited by onthesam; Feb 11, 2019 at 7:28 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussions of border controls are best in Travel Safety/Security where there are multiple threads on the topic

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
At SFO last night they had two signs, blue BG1 sign on the left hand side of gate 94 (SFO-LHR) and a green BG2 sign to the right. Normally the "elites" board through the left hand door. So, when we started to line up GS and 1K went down chute BG1 to find that they way was barred with tensabarrier that stopped you about 6' short of the boarding pass scanner. They then called pre-boarding for GS and opened up a little side barrier that was within the gap caused by the 6' gap. Much groaning from the GS and 1K that were down the chute so I opened the barrier and stopped a riot. But....for the future with that sort of setup it looks like you will enter from the side so keep your eyes open !
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
UA 269 LAX-ORD yesterday 18 Feb, once the boarding process commenced GA called out GS then 1Ks by name were welcome to preboard. About 5 or 6 GS and then about 7 or 8 of us 1Ks. Seemed very orderly and eliminated the confusion at the very crowded gate. First time I've been called by name to board and thought it was nice. Maybe others have had this but I rarely fly out of LAX and haven't had it happen anywhere else.

It was a massive gaggle at the gate and I thought the GA did a great job keeping order with the groups. ORD needs to take a lesson form this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA GS
When did they call families with children two and under? They are supposed to board after GS and before 1K.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I don't remember exactly, but I *think* she went with customers with disabilities, then military, then GS by name, families, 1K by name, then so on. Even with all that it seemed orderly from my perspective- at least what I witnessed before I went down the jetway. Calling out people by name eliminated us so-called "lice" making a rush to board. Perhaps she only did this because there was a relative handful of people to call. If there were 50 1Ks it wouldn't be feasible to do. Over half the aircraft (753) was lined up in BG 1/2 lanes.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gmt4
...Calling out people by name eliminated us so-called "lice" making a rush to board...
I've noticed a couple of times once the "1" in "1K" is announced, occasionally some BG1ers assume they're being called and they step forward. Announcing names certainly quashes that.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I had a well-run 1K preboarding get me onboard ahead of a shouting match over E75 bin space, so I will grudgingly admit this benefit has its uses (although I'm sure the paid F pax boarding behind me would have their complains).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
I would assume gate agents check with flight attendants before starting boarding, but I guess that’s not always the case?

Soemtimes I was the first one to board, only to find the flight attendants were still settling in and asking me to wait in the jetbridge momentarily.

No big deal until an unfriendly encounter tonight. The purser seemed late (other FAs were ready while she was still taking off her coat). She was apparently annoyed to see us passengers. Maybe she had a bad day or just hated her job. We had to wait over an minute standing outside watching her taking stuff out, putting stuff in and storing her bag, all in super slow motion... like an SNL sketch.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bdw1120
I would assume gate agents check with flight attendants before starting boarding, but I guess that’s not always the case?

Soemtimes I was the first one to board, only to find the flight attendants were still settling in and asking me to wait in the jetbridge momentarily.

No big deal until an unfriendly encounter tonight. The purser seemed late (other FAs were ready while she was still taking off her coat). She was apparently annoyed to see us passengers. Maybe she had a bad day or just hated her job. We had to wait over an minute standing outside watching her taking stuff out, putting stuff in and storing her bag, all in super slow motion... like an SNL sketch.
This unfortunate encounter likely brought upon us all by a D0-pressured GA. Which airport?

David
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdw1120

One time when that happened and my wife and I were the first to board a plane when the FAs were not expecting us as they were just chatting in the galley, we got punished by having to wait 25 minutes for them to get our jackets and got the PDB just 3 minutes before the plane left the gate.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
One time when that happened and my wife and I were the first to board a plane when the FAs were not expecting us as they were just chatting in the galley, we got punished by having to wait 25 minutes for them to get our jackets and got the PDB just 3 minutes before the plane left the gate.
When I'm the first one down the jetway an I don't see an FA at the door I will cheerfully call out "Ready or not here we come" and pause at the door. Most of the time I'm greeted with a smile.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
When I'm the first one down the jetway an I don't see an FA at the door I will cheerfully call out "Ready or not here we come" and pause at the door. Most of the time I'm greeted with a smile.
I once arrived first at the door and encountered two FA's sitting in the first row of FC eating a meal, shoes off, all spread out. That was embarrassing for them, though I tried my best to make light of it ("I snuck by past the GA when she wasn't watching!"). If there's no one at the door (common with UAEX), I'll wait before boarding, as the FA is usually on his/her way up the aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.