Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ianmanka
I'm advocating for lines and processes that reward people that have their stuff together and ready. The time wasters are those who don't have their phone brightness up, or a wrinkled boarding pass, or just aren't paying attention. Have one lane for those that are following the process who can board first, and the other lane to send scofflaws back to the gate area.
How do you do this - hire the Soup Nazi as gate agent? BP wrinkled - no preboard for you! Phone on Instagram - no preboard for you!
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Sorry! I cannot remember the PMUA boarding process when this was implemented back then

How does this impact family traveling together?
For example, if husband and wife traveling together, one sits in aisle and one sits in the middle seat, would they board separately or together?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Sorry! I cannot remember the PMUA boarding process when this was implemented back then

How does this impact family traveling together?
For example, if husband and wife traveling together, one sits in aisle and one sits in the middle seat, would they board separately or together?
Together in the lowest # boarding group from what I understand, if on same PNR. E.g. if one is Gold and the other one is no status, they both get BG1.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Could be even more people - DL also allows retired military to board w/ active military.
I've heard numerous times "Active military AND veterans". As a veteran from a state that actually has it on my DL I could board with this pre 'group', but many state DL's don't have this info.
I don't pre board as a veteran, as the gate agent has got it wrong, and I board in the next pre group anyhow... but I've always wondered how they know someone is a veteran or not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
SF Chronicle headline refers to a "revolutionary change"

Even the Times picked this story up. It seems the UA media relations team has been hard at work. Not much else positive for them to say these days, I guess (Alternative stories that they decided not to push: "Fares continue to climb, while service gets worse!"; "UA meals continue to suck!"; "Elite upgrade "benefits" become ever more illusory!")
I first encountered this boarding scheme on LH back in 2017 or 2018 at a bus gate!
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
UA tested this back in Apr2023 at LAX and it was a failure. Program stopped and assume gone.

Guess some at HQ thought otherwise to save two minutes. Very doubtful.

This was the flyer from the test program:

Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
A success program/process doesn't need "talking points".
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:35 am

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...process-wilma/

• Pre-Boarding
    • Customers with disabilities and unaccompanied minors
    • Active-duty military
    • Global Services members
    • Families traveling with children two and under
    • Premier 1K members
  • Group 1
    • United Polaris Business
    • United First
    • United Business
    • Premier Platinum
    • Premier Gold
    • Star Alliance Gold
  • Group 2
    • Premier Silver
    • Star Alliance Silver
    • Chase-United co-branded cardholders
    • those who paid for Premier Access
  • Group 3
    • Window seats
    • Exit row seats
    • Non-rev travelers
  • Group 4
    • Middle seats
  • Group 5
    • Aisle seats
  • Group 6
    • Basic economy (no larger carry-on bag permitted – only a small personal item)
hedberg1661 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
A success program/process doesn't need "talking points".
There's an irony to this being post 43 in this thread...

Change will always lead to questions by some, and even if that's only a very small percentage of passengers it still amounts to a real number when considering the number of passengers UA boards every day. Having consistent messasing around any change like this is a good thing.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
There's an irony to this being post 43 in this thread...

Change will always lead to questions by some, and even if that's only a very small percentage of passengers it still amounts to a real number when considering the number of passengers UA boards every day. Having consistent messasing around any change like this is a good thing.
Boarding has been a challenge for years now, especially out of its hubs, putting some cosmetic changes which may save no more than two minutes is like putting lipsticks on pigs. Apologies to pigs.

The entire process is a mess and has been chaotic because there are no consistencies. Pax improperly board, whether purposely or inadvertently, and most gate agents don't enforce anything. Planes are often full, and even the longest scheduled board time in the industry is not long enough.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
This sounds a lot to me like the new math where 2+2=7.....but I am just a grumpy old guy, former elite who is happy to have airline choices again. Last week we went with the family, 6 of us on WN. They boarded the entire plane in about 15 minutes or less, seats were more comfortable than UA, did not have to drag bags onto the plane.....On UA we still board with group 2 so this change does not seem to effect me, it just seems to me like they are just going to make it more confusing and take even more time. Maybe I should just get my cane of out the closet and bring it along with my handicapped car pass.......
vicontt likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:02 pm

Okay dumb question on my part 'cause I think I know the answer, but where does Premium Plus cabin fall in this mix?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
9 groups like AA and DL would be far better.

GS and 1K should have their own groups instead of being required to mass with pre-boarders.
Then paid F.
Then Plat/Gold and Silver/Chase card.
Then Window/Middle/Aisle.
Then BE.

There, did it. 9 groups, less messy.

I have my own views on when families and disabled passengers should board, but don't want to hijack.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VAP1611
Okay dumb question on my part 'cause I think I know the answer, but where does Premium Plus cabin fall in this mix?
There are no special boarding priority for PE pax.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
So love these threads lol

We all dance around the real issue -- the problem isn't the process -- it's the PEOPLE!

Nothing about what UA is doing will save any time -- it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic...

TBH all of this has been made much worse by the airlines themselves making sure that everyone is "special" / and then charging for checked bags / allowing people break the rules / not maintaining consistent standards...

There is a reason that Asian airlines board / de-board so much quicker.... People follow the rules -- rules that are clearly known -- and ENFORCED!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.