Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 11:27 am

On UA1310 today ORD-MSP and they had film crew there. A United representative said it was for NBC filming about the new boarding process. He said it should air in about two days.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Surprised how the main stream press is screaming about this ....
For reasons I do not understand, this was a prominent story all last week on the local Tampa TV station I am forced to watch at the gym.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ

This is controlled by Title 14, CFR 382.
§ 382.93 Must carriers offer preboarding to passengers with a disability?
TiL. Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bear96
For reasons I do not understand, this was a prominent story all last week on the local Tampa TV station I am forced to watch at the gym.
It sells advertising. Airline stories attract viewer (and reader) attention. Most of the stories are fluff. Most of the advice from experts is undiluted nonsense. It’s a mystery to me too.
IndyHoosier and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Biggest problem with United is putting Polaris in Group 1. Bill Burr nailed this 2 years ago. Skip to 8:15 in the video for the boarding process rant:

as219 and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So WILMA-Day is approaching. I board a flight tomorrow morning, the 26th, at 0105 in Dubai. It may be one of the earliest flights on the 26th. It will be interesting to see if anything changes.

I was reminded of WILMA, when the video below popped up on YouTube purporting to describe the best boarding process ever!

Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
So WILMA-Day is approaching. I board a flight tomorrow morning, the 26th, at 0105 in Dubai. It may be one of the earliest flights on the 26th. It will be interesting to see if anything changes.

I was reminded of WILMA, when the video below popped up on YouTube purporting to describe the best boarding process ever!

Here’s that video.
Interesting video. The "fastest" method was interesting, but would be derailed by any type of priority boarding, just like it is today. It seems that the hybrid of Southwest and assigned seats would be an interesting model. Basically, you get an assigned seat, and are also assigned a boarding number. Have everyone line up by boarding number (like WN does today), then get on the plane and go to their assigned seat. People traveling together could get consecutive numbers, even if that didn't follow the "every other row WILMA" scheme. You cold use the numbering to enforce the "fastest" method in general, even among elites.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:31 am

https://www.today.com/video/united-a...t-196445253656
during the puff piece NBC ran on this today they did not focus on how a large portion (elites, Cc holders, etc) of pax will not board under WILMA.

At the end they said "but don't worry, United is changing the interior of their planes so that everyone's carry on bag will fit". What is that all about?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
https://www.today.com/video/united-a...t-196445253656
during the puff piece NBC ran on this today they did not focus on how a large portion (elites, Cc holders, etc) of pax will not board under WILMA.

At the end they said "but don't worry, United is changing the interior of their planes so that everyone's carry on bag will fit". What is that all about?
I assume about the newer overhead bins that allow bags to be placed on their side. But obviously these bins won't work on smaller regional aircraft.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by MHively
I assume about the newer overhead bins that allow bags to be placed on their side. But obviously these bins won't work on smaller regional aircraft.
The new MAX, NEO, and mainline retrofits are meant to have larger bins which should fit most carry ons (in theory, as they would have to all be placed sideways, which even with a lot of reminders and signage, its never fully followed)
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
The new MAX, NEO, and mainline retrofits are meant to have larger bins which should fit most carry ons (in theory, as they would have to all be placed sideways, which even with a lot of reminders and signage, its never fully followed)
Spoiler alert: you’re going to rapidly get sick of the phrase “like a book” in these aircraft.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Spoiler alert: you’re going to rapidly get sick of the phrase “like a book” in these aircraft.
I'm already getting tired of seeing this text:

"When you board, be sure to store your bag on its side so everyone's can fit."

ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
I would say it often works too well, even though indeed it's never fully followed. I have had several times of dutifully putting my roller up on its side, the bin not getting filled up, and then my bag doing a concussive shimmy at takeoff and landing. I pick window seats, so it would be awkward to get up and lay my bag down again at the end of boarding if the bin isn't full.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
WILMA makes a good story for the press regardless. Entitled

United passengers predict brawls, threaten boycott as new boarding system takes effect

https://nypost.com/2023/10/26/lifest...-takes-effect/
Old Oct 27, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Can family members on different PNR board in Group ! along with gold member (i.e. my daughter and her husband)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.