Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Will Explorer card holders that used their card to book a ticket still be in BG2 with the new WILMA boarding plan on 10/26?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
So love these threads lol

We all dance around the real issue -- the problem isn't the process -- it's the PEOPLE!

Nothing about what UA is doing will save any time -- it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic...

TBH all of this has been made much worse by the airlines themselves making sure that everyone is "special" / and then charging for checked bags / allowing people break the rules / not maintaining consistent standards...

There is a reason that Asian airlines board / de-board so much quicker.... People follow the rules -- rules that are clearly known -- and ENFORCED!
Yup. I have a series of photos of escalators in different countries. In Japan, Germany, England.... people all stand on one side; those who want to go faster walk up the other side. Not in the US: everybody just stands wherever they want and everybody gets to go slow. Similar issues with boarding on United.

Beyond that, there's the issue of bag size. Most Euro and Asian carriers enforce bag size limits strictly. United has completely given up on that. I have experienced 20+ minute delays because they had to take so many bags off the plane. Even BE pax board with big roller bags (they board with "people needing extra time" and nobody stops them).

PS: Sadly, I have still failed in my life ambition to meet BMW92Fan, Tom Stuker, or Mr. Pillows on a flight or in a lounge. Flying 200k a year, it seems like it has to happen sometime.....
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, limey1K and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by porciuscato
PS: Sadly, I have still failed in my life ambition to meet BMW92Fan, Tom Stuker, or Mr. Pillows on a flight or in a lounge. Flying 200k a year, it seems like it has to happen sometime.....
Sorry buddy - we just got back to NYC from Tokyo -- I'll be heading back there on November 1 and I'll have the PL to myself (morning flight) -- but still won't eat the food! Occasionally they have decent Champagne for my wife -- but you are right that the wine selection has gone WAY down... The Sauvignon Blanc they serve now is a headache in a bottle. Funny that the regular club will offer Kim Crawford SB (if you pay) -- but the flagship gets the junk?

I'm actually looking at routing via ORD (which I think gives way better food & service than most PL's) just to have a decent meal - and save a few bucks)... $9k roundtrip to TYO is a joke....
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:16 pm

Just waiting for the day when there are as many groups as there are occupied seats
jasonp622 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency
Just waiting for the day when there are as many groups as there are occupied seats
works for Southwest 😁
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
TBH all of this has been made much worse by the airlines themselves making sure that everyone is "special" / and then charging for checked bags / allowing people break the rules / not maintaining consistent standards...
Right. The easiest way to speed up boarding is to not charge for checked bags. But UA has obviously made the conscious decision that it's better off taking additional revenue for checked bags, and/or reducing the number of bags that get checked (thus reducing their cost of processing those bags, loading/unloading them, etc) - even if it means a few minutes longer of boarding time. And I'm sure (financially) they are correct in that decision.

If United's primary goal was to make the boarding process as quick and easy as possible they would have free checked bags, double the width of the aisles on the planes, and runs jetways to the rear door on the plane so that door could be used as well. But obviously none of that makes sense financially, so it doesn't happen. On the other hand they have seemingly deciding that adding a BG6 does make sense financially, so that's where we are.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What comes around, goes around

pmUA 2005 NYT article on changes to UA boarding procedure (i.e., "wilma")

pmUA 2006 New Boarding Method: Wilma

pmUA 2007 Whatever happened to WILMA?

pmUA used WILMA until the merger (2012?) or just before
returnoftheyeti and lsquare like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 18, 2023 at 5:12 pm Reason: 2012
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Will Explorer card holders that used their card to book a ticket still be in BG2 with the new WILMA boarding plan on 10/26?
Yes, according to the other thread. The primary charges were to move Basic Economy back to BG6 with 3-4-5; being the WILMA groups.
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post # 1)
Is there not a thread or comment already on this announcement? I couldn't find one. . . .

Group 2
  • Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Travelers with Premier Access or priority boarding
  • Select cobranded credit card holders
Which Chase United credit cards qualify? "How low can you go?" Explorer? Gateway?

Originally Posted by vicontt (Post # 22)
And pass the amunition! What are people travelling as a group and sitting together supposed to do?
If on the same PNR, board with the earliest member. If on separate PNRs, give the biggest bag to the earliest.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Which Chase United credit cards qualify? "How low can you go?" Explorer? Gateway
Gateway (no annual fee) doesnt get any boarding perk. I belive the other cards all do.
SPN Lifer and gaobest like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
half the plane are 1K. another 20% board with someone in their group in a higher boarding class. this will make no difference
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by exerda
Yes, according to the other thread. The primary charges were to move Basic Economy back to BG6 with 3-4-5; being the WILMA groups.

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2023, 5:59 pm

If anything.... I expect more wheel chairs.... :/
vicontt likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Only 1k right?

Originally Posted by sfo
As I understand it, elites gold and up who are sitting in economy plus or economy will still be boarded prior to the main cabin
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Sorry - just saw this. Thank you 1mm/Gold. Phew.

Originally Posted by malgudi
https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...process-wilma/
  • Pre-Boarding
    • Customers with disabilities and unaccompanied minors
    • Active-duty military
    • Global Services members
    • Families traveling with children two and under
    • Premier 1K members
  • Group 1
    • United Polaris Business
    • United First
    • United Business
    • Premier Platinum
    • Premier Gold
    • Star Alliance Gold
  • Group 2
    • Premier Silver
    • Star Alliance Silver
    • Chase-United co-branded cardholders
    • those who paid for Premier Access
  • Group 3
    • Window seats
    • Exit row seats
    • Non-rev travelers
  • Group 4
    • Middle seats
  • Group 5
    • Aisle seats
  • Group 6
    • Basic economy (no larger carry-on bag permitted – only a small personal item)
Boraxo and ContinentalFan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.