Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
MSN today was one long pre-board announcement of ExtraTimeMilitaryGloabalService1K followed by “families with small children”. I was the only GS and I mentioned that it was tough to pre-board when the groups are all lumped together. She said I called Global Services so I just kept moving in the boarding line behind some very eager 1Ks
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yea - I had that at EWR too recently. No GA ever showed up for the flight and the gate was right next to the GA office. ur pilot finally told the assembled passengers that he had timed out but couldn't say for sure whether the flight would be canceled. The pilot was most apologetic and told us he couldn't believe he had to tell us that it did not look good, but that someone needed to do so. The flight finally did cancel a short while later. The only way we knew was that the gate screen flashed and then changed to show a different flight.
​​​​​​Does this sound plausible? Agent is about to go on break or go home? He can go to gate and announce the cancellation and deal with all the angry passengers, or he can just avoid that gate and let them rebook online, at the customer service desk, or at the UC and avoids dealing with it?
Old Aug 11, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
Would it be better if called folks their 24K flyers?

David
Change the status from 1K to "solid gold" and sure.

Why not just "1K"? (Which itself doesn't actually describe 100K)
Old Aug 11, 2023, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
​​​​​​Does this sound plausible? Agent is about to go on break or go home? He can go to gate and announce the cancellation and deal with all the angry passengers, or he can just avoid that gate and let them rebook online, at the customer service desk, or at the UC and avoids dealing with it?
I wouldn't put it past an EWR GA to do that. But there was never any gate agent there for the flight at all. Not during ANY of the rather lengthy delay. Nbody announced anything. Passengers were left to figure out the cancellation on their own. Some of us had to explain the cancellation to passengers who did not speak English and had no access to the UA app. And of course by this time it was already around midnight.
SPN Lifer and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I wouldn't put it past an EWR GA to do that. But there was never any gate agent there for the flight at all. Not during ANY of the rather lengthy delay. Nbody announced anything. Passengers were left to figure out the cancellation on their own. Some of us had to explain the cancellation to passengers who did not speak English and had no access to the UA app. And of course by this time it was already around midnight.
I had a very similar experience at EWR when flying to Lisbon. Flight was scheduled to start boarding, GA announced a delay, hung around for a bit and then said it was going to be at least an hour and left. The pilot was the one that ended up announcing the cancellation via the gate mic when he came out a few hours later.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Wow. At least in my case the flight was "on time" (until ~20 minutes after departure when it was delayed...despite all of the players except the GA being there...it eventually canceled about 2 hours later, IIRC). (A retired FA was answering the gate phone because she got tired of hearing it ring, the FAs were showing me the messages in chat on their handheld devices -- "Departure in 10 minutes, confirm cabin readiness?" "As a courtesy it would be nice if someone could come to the gate and at least tell us what is going on", etc. )
Xyzzy and narvik like this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
I was surprised to see a dedicated "pre board" line this week at EWR. 787 EWR-LAX service. I dont recall seeing this before, outside of Japan. Because they tried to get all the pre boards in the one line, everyone was out of order when they called the individual categories. Most GS appeared to avoid the process anyway.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1200GS
I was surprised to see a dedicated "pre board" line this week at EWR. 787 EWR-LAX service. I dont recall seeing this before, outside of Japan. Because they tried to get all the pre boards in the one line, everyone was out of order when they called the individual categories. Most GS appeared to avoid the process anyway.
Some ORD gates on B/C have this as well which is quite nice -- not so much a "line" but a "here's the gap in the sanctions we expect you to use"

Contrast to a recent IAD boarding where the two GAs were giving conflicting instructions on where they wanted preboarders (one wanted us against the wall near the mobility-challenged seating, the other wanted us out on the concourse side), and one who had issued the wall edict was just shy of berating both travelers who listened to the other GA or arrived after her PA and wheel chair attendants ("No! This barrier is going to stay where it is and stay closed! You need to go around. We preboard from over there!" when one attendant tried to take the straightest path )
CPS89 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
I think the process has merit, if they can figure out a way to filter who belongs in which pre-board group.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 10:08 am

I think the process has merit, if they can figure out a way to filter who belongs in which pre-board group.
Thats what UA @ Japan does....

A gate agent combs through all the lines (BG1, BG2, preboard line), checks docs since intl flight and verifies you are in correct boarding group (and asks you to take a seat if you don't qualify)

requires effort though, and space in the gate area
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:41 am

RT on UA this weekend gave me a sense as to how out-of-hand UA's pre-boarding has gotten (at least at certain stations). DCA/IAH 40+ pre-boarders, including friends and family of pre-boarders. GA unwilling to challenge "friends" of pre-boarding families. Lots of military with families. IAH/DCA-GA boards all pre-boarders except special assistance at once. 30+ people head to the Gate at the same time. Lots of elbowing ensues. It's really time to re-think the process at UA. AA, and I believe, DL, only pre- board special assistance and invitation-only elites. Others are assigned to Groups.
Repooc17 and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
DELETE - duplicate post
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by JetAway
RT on UA this weekend gave me a sense as to how out-of-hand UA's pre-boarding has gotten (at least at certain stations). DCA/IAH 40+ pre-boarders, including friends and family of pre-boarders. GA unwilling to challenge "friends" of pre-boarding families. Lots of military with families. IAH/DCA-GA boards all pre-boarders except special assistance at once. 30+ people head to the Gate at the same time. Lots of elbowing ensues. It's really time to re-think the process at UA. AA, and I believe, DL, only pre- board special assistance and invitation-only elites. Others are assigned to Groups.
Process works fine if done properly, although it can be challenging in a gate with limited space.
It's when the GA calls out of order, or all at the same time, (or missed a pre board group entirely!) that problems invariably occur.
GA also needs to space the pre-board out and give time for ppl to actually get to the scanner... Calling the five groups out consecutively in one sentence is not optimal!
LHR is excellent - usually separate lanes for GS, 1K, Group 1, etc., and then calling other pre-board groups when they're ready.

1K's won't like this, but as they seem to be the most numerous of the pre-board groups, a way to improve would be to move them to Group 1 along with FC
PanAmWT and narvik like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
LHR, with its spacious gates, has something similar, though there GS and 1ks are separated into distinct herds.
1200GS likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Bump

United should change boarding process.

Wheelchairs, extra-timers (real and fakers)
First/Polaris
GS/1K ( if GS ain’t up front in the first place, too bad)
premPlus (in those markets), plats, gold
Military, silver, boarding gate carryon checkers, Chase cards
Remaining non-BE
BE

Tail end of cruise and margaritas are making the suggestions.

Edit: I forgot people using sub-two spawn props - they just board where they fall above.

Takes groups down to 7 from 9 (I think)
Delta has 10 (I thought no)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2023 at 9:32 pm Reason: unneccesary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.