Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2023, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
This breaks Star Alliance policy. One of the published perks of Star Alliance Gold is that you get to board at the same time as First/Business class passengers. (Of course, another of the published perks is lounge access, but...)
That is sort of happening now anyway when you factor in the 1K/GS preboards ahead of G1, many of whom are seated in first/business - but as a *A Gold member, I actually don't have a problem with making this change, but if this a major issue, we can rework it as:

1. Pre-board - wheelchairs and disabled, families with strollers/car seats - no stroller or car seat? Tough, you board with your group number
2. Global Services and 1K through the "Premier Access" line (Premier Access Priority 1 on their boarding pass)
3. First Class and/or Polaris, Platinum, Gold, Star Gold, through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 2 on their boarding pass)
4. Premium Plus seated customers where applicable through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 3 on their boarding pass)
5. Silver, Credit Cards with Priority Access, Paid UC members through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 4 on their boarding pass)
6. General Boarding G1 - behind the wing - instructed to board along the general boarding line
7. General Boarding G2 - in front of the wing - instructed to board along the general boarding line
8. General Boarding G3 - Basic Economy - instructed to board along the general boarding line
Old Mar 10, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
1. Pre-board - wheelchairs and disabled, families with strollers/car seats - no stroller or car seat? Tough, you board with your group number
2. Global Services and 1K through the "Premier Access" line (Premier Access Priority 1 on their boarding pass)
3. First Class and/or Polaris, Platinum, Gold, Star Gold, through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 2 on their boarding pass)
4. Premium Plus seated customers where applicable through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 3 on their boarding pass)
5. Silver, Credit Cards with Priority Access, Paid UC members through the Premier Access line (Premier Access Priority 4 on their boarding pass)
6. General Boarding G1 - behind the wing - instructed to board along the general boarding line
7. General Boarding G2 - in front of the wing - instructed to board along the general boarding line
8. General Boarding G3 - Basic Economy - instructed to board along the general boarding line
I like this. A lot.

I’m ok with 2A/2B for GS then 1K too (before you GS Kings & Queens kick up a stink!!)
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
People needing additional time should only be allowed to preboard with +1.

Pax with F/J tickets should be allowed to board at the same time as 1K, if not earlier.

In other words, clear the preboarding area only for the following groups: pax needing additional time (+1 only), children under the age of 2 with stroller and m parents only (2 max), active military with ID, and GS.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:48 am

1K shouldn’t have preboarding. There are way too many and frankly it’s a zoo on large flights for GS to get through the mess of them. Group 1 is sufficient for 1K. It’s pretty easy to be 1K. And I agree that First should board before 1K.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerNJ
1K shouldn’t have preboarding. There are way too many and frankly it’s a zoo on large flights for GS to get through the mess of them. Group 1 is sufficient for 1K. It’s pretty easy to be 1K. And I agree that First should board before 1K.
On my DEN-SEA flight last night, more than a dozen 1Ks boarded when called. Two were sitting in F. I get letting GS board early, but those of us who actually pay for F ought to have priority over 1K. Of course, if UA went back to the pm process, GS, 1K, F and J would have their own dedicated boarding lane.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by halls120
Of course, if UA went back to the pm process, GS, 1K, F and J would have their own dedicated boarding lane.
Just do this and call it BG1, I was fine with pm boarding. The current system is a bit of a mess with a scrum of 1K’s.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:24 am

The actual problem is the 1Ks. I gladly step aside for disabled folks and families with small kids and proudly step aside for active military. In fact most GS I know do. The 1Ks don’t. You could be walking on two prosthetic limbs in shorts and they wouldn’t move, so imagine how annoying it is for me as a simple GS to try and deal with the scrum.

Further, it’s typically douchey corporate guy 1Ks who act like this. Newsflash to them: 1K is accomplished in a handful of corporate flights and you’re not that important!
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are already an embarrassing number of preboards, and I say this as a 1K. No new groups need to be given preboard status.

Some airports have added preboard lanes at (at least some) gates. This is a good enhancement and should be expanded wherever possible.

Even if some here get their wish and preboarding is replaced by adding more groups ahead of the current group 1, there still needs to be a clear way for disabled and stroller children to get up to the gate without having to attempt to scoot around everyone in the boarding line.

Part of the issue with too many 1Ks is also that the status has been liberally given out through free extensions due to COVID and fairly low qualification criteria. Maybe next year there will be a drop in the absolute number based on the significantly increased PQP requirements and hopefully final end to the free covid status.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerNJ
The actual problem is the 1Ks. I gladly step aside for disabled folks and families with small kids and proudly step aside for active military. In fact most GS I know do. The 1Ks don’t. You could be walking on two prosthetic limbs in shorts and they wouldn’t move, so imagine how annoying it is for me as a simple GS to try and deal with the scrum.

Further, it’s typically douchey corporate guy 1Ks who act like this. Newsflash to them: 1K is accomplished in a handful of corporate flights and you’re not that important!
I ve experienced far more douchier and entitled GS than 1Ks.
GS who will literally trample everyone else so they board first.
But yes its always the OPM crowd no matter the status that thinks they are more important than they really are.

As for this thread, I really wouldn't care if MM got to preboard. Theyve earned it way more than some OPM who flew 3 times last year on company dime and got 1K.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by halls120
On my DEN-SEA flight last night, more than a dozen 1Ks boarded when called. Two were sitting in F. I get letting GS board early, but those of us who actually pay for F ought to have priority over 1K. Of course, if UA went back to the pm process, GS, 1K, F and J would have their own dedicated boarding lane.
AA lets paid F with no status board right after CK. I like this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably more efficient from a boarding perspective to have a mix of first and not first pax board at the same time, otherwise everyone is bunched up on flights that only board from the front.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
Probably more efficient from a boarding perspective to have a mix of first and not first pax board at the same time, otherwise everyone is bunched up on flights that only board from the front.
Most efficient would be back to front, but that comes into conflict with everyone's idea of who should be first.

There was a brief period during covid when they would sort of board that way, holding First cabin for last. Worked fine in my opinion.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by iapetus
OK, so, maybe 1MMs pre-boarding isn't the way to go. But I feel that it would be nice if there were some more meaningful perk for me to being a MM. Most of us who have MM status shoot for status higher than gold. And, yes, I get to nominate someone else to share that status (which isn't nothing; I think it's the best part of it). But what do I get other than an occasional thank you? Honestly, I would be happy with free drink and a snack in E like 1Ks enjoy. That can't hurt United's bottom line too much, and it wouldn't really impact anyone else.
Naw - bowing and curtsying.

David
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by fumje
Most efficient would be back to front, but that comes into conflict with everyone's idea of who should be first.

There was a brief period during covid when they would sort of board that way, holding First cabin for last. Worked fine in my opinion.
I wouldn't mind boarding last for first IF 1) they guaranteed overhead space would be available and 2) there is seating in the gate area so I'm not having to stand there the entire time waiting. Too many gates these days don't have enough room for everyone on the plane.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by wrp96
I wouldn't mind boarding last for first IF 1) they guaranteed overhead space would be available and 2) there is seating in the gate area so I'm not having to stand there the entire time waiting. Too many gates these days don't have enough room for everyone on the plane.
Very important on some routes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.