Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
BRU has a separate lane for pre boarding which is marked with a sign.
I saw this somewhere and it was awkward when GS were trying to get to the front when called because a couple of 1k's refused to let them by. But the GA waited until the GS made it through

Originally Posted by Repooc17
AA's boarding process rarely has issues like UA's, which seems to be a common occurrence.

Good morning!
I find the major factor on orderly boarding is having enough space at the gate area for people to move about. In a new, modern airport where they have plenty of room there is no problem. But when space is tight, some people will always get it wrong on what line they should be in and when they board so you just get a traffic jam. One of the worst boardings I remember was in FRA on SQ to JFK. Beteen transit and non-transit and Star Gold boarding before the business class cabin it was a total mess in a very tight area.

I'll take ample space at the gate over any individual airline's boarding process any day.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Does the preboarding screen update as different groups are called (e.g. military, GS, 1K, etc.)?

I recently got to one of the gates at LAX in the middle of preboarding, not knowing exactly which group was being called. I waited back, since there were others standing around the gate area. I then saw the preboarding screen and tried to ascertain who exactly was preboarding, but seconds later the GA calls Group 1.

Well getting to the back of the Group 1 line involved walking around 50 ft around the seating area, and by the time I navigated over there everyone in G1 boarded and the GA moved on to Group 2. What a mess.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:26 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It may be unpopular, but I say again that it would make much more sense to board people with disabilities and young families last, not first. They are the ones who need extra time and thus delay the boarding process. Let them take all the time they need when everyone else is already seated and not pressing in behind them.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by econ
Does the preboarding screen update as different groups are called (e.g. military, GS, 1K, etc.)?
Nope, never has. Would be nice.

-RM
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by 1P
It may be unpopular, but I say again that it would make much more sense to board people with disabilities and young families last, not first. They are the ones who need extra time and thus delay the boarding process. Let them take all the time they need when everyone else is already seated and not pressing in behind them.
That would be illegal. Reference here, bullet number six.
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...tybillofrights
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1P
The best system would be if all the airlines just let me board first.

But I'm afraid that's not how life works.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
That would be illegal. Reference here, bullet number six.
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...tybillofrights
Just because it is a "law" doesn't make it right.... just say'n. I am all for disability rights but 1P has a point. I suspect someone has looked into this fwiw.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Steve M
I was at NRT a couple of weeks ago. I saw the standard Group 1 / Group 2 sign, plus an additional one for "Preboarding." I don't recall seeing such a sign or separate line like that at any other station.
It's more common at international outstations - I don't recall ever seeing one domestically. As folks have noted, it's available at GRU and I _think_ the last time I saw one besides NRT was GUA. I'm sure they have them more on GS-heavy international routes.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
It's more common at international outstations - I don't recall ever seeing one domestically. As folks have noted, it's available at GRU and I _think_ the last time I saw one besides NRT was GUA. I'm sure they have them more on GS-heavy international routes.
Not just GS. At NRT, you might see 30 or more 1Ks boarding a UA flight. Given a choice between UA and international carriers, status (or a corporate contract) is often the only good reason to choose UA. Certainly the only reason I'd choose UA over NH.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not just GS. At NRT, you might see 30 or more 1Ks boarding a UA flight. Given a choice between UA and international carriers, status (or a corporate contract) is often the only good reason to choose UA. Certainly the only reason I'd choose UA over NH.
So true. My last flight NRT-EWR had 7 GS and at least 22 1Ks. The pre-boarding line was loooong.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by threecap
Yes, first to preboard vs last to preboard. The rush to be first to preboard is what causes the problem, not the preboard itself.
I do enjoy being among the last to pre-board but have had a couple of instances at EWR where if we weren't in the pre-board scrum the GA was going to unleash BG1 and close off the pre-board area.
We greatly appreciated the GA in Dublin who asked all of "her" GS's and 1Ks up to the podium to instruct us on her pre-boarding procedure. She did get us to the shuttle bus efficiently.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
I do enjoy being among the last to pre-board but have had a couple of instances at EWR where if we weren't in the pre-board scrum the GA was going to unleash BG1 and close off the pre-board area.
We greatly appreciated the GA in Dublin who asked all of "her" GS's and 1Ks up to the podium to instruct us on her pre-boarding procedure. She did get us to the shuttle bus efficiently.
Im pleased to hear something positive from DUB; the airport is usually a hideous mess.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by nomad420
Just because it is a "law" doesn't make it right.... just say'n. I am all for disability rights but 1P has a point. I suspect someone has looked into this fwiw.
Sure - ya'll do your full boarding and then get the wheelchair passenger of size who needs an aisle chair to get down the aisle to Row 30 and let's watch the complaints pile up on FT.

SMH.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Sure - ya'll do your full boarding and then get the wheelchair passenger of size who needs an aisle chair to get down the aisle to Row 30 and let's watch the complaints pile up on FT.

SMH.
I get that but something can be said for the same wheelchair pax of size who boards first and is seated in aisle seat row 30 who now has to move so the pax seated in the middle and window seat can now be access there seats. While supposedly they are to de-board last I think we all know that doesn't happen on a regular basis. No real good answer here.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Believe it or not, the only perk I like as GS is the ability to board before the mob of other travelers. No, I'm not rushing on board to grab overhead bin space (I put my backpack under the seat in front of me and no, I don't grab that extra space in the middle between seats in first class) and when space is not available for my overhead luggage, I'm OK if it's many rows behind me; a non-issue. So what if I have to wait a few more minutes get off the plane in order to retrieve my bag.

What I dislike most are the untrained GAs and GS reps who often get the boarding process wrong (even when the overhead monitor indicates the correct process!!!). In Houston (IAH), it's epidemic. They allow families with children under 2 to board before GS. I have mentioned this to numerous IAH GS reps. So, when they call families at IAH, I board with them. When I was at IAH about a month ago, it happened again. When I approached, the GA told me "Sorry. Families, sir." I told her I'm GS, as a GS rep stood nearby. The GS rep then said I was incorrect, and I smiled and told her she might want to check with her supervisor and proceeded to board. The GS rep came onboard about 5 mins later and said "You're right, Mr. Smith. My supervisor said they've repeatedly reminded GAs that GS boards before families, but we're not always successful." I shrugged my shoulders and thanked her for the follow-up. If people (GAs and GS reps) are not properly trained on their published policies, not my problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.