Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BThumme
If you could guarantee me/ a 1K a spot for their bag on top of where they sit, this would help a ton. I fly a ton of 175s out of Detroit, and if I am not one of the first handful to board, My bag has to go back in the economy section because only half the overhead bins are usable.
It would help if UA FAs monitored and protected the F bin space, as the FAs do on AA.

But the E75 is a special problem due to the very limited full-size bin space.
SPN Lifer and BThumme like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
UA has the WORST overall boarding process. Poor GA communication, DYKWIA pax, people using pre boarding when they are not supposed to (and GA not enforcing).

I usually board last, partly to watch the fun of the dumpster fire that is of UA.
The rare times I fly UA is always paid F. But possibly due to having hubs in places like EWR, IAD, and SFO, I've found UA elites to have the worst DYKWIA behavior. AA can match UA for poor service, but I fly out PHX a lot, and the AA elites there are tame compared to the UA elites in SFO or EWR. UA probably encourages this with its boarding process and treating non-elite Y pax like they're lucky to be on the plane, but the airline has a special ability to bring out the worst in people.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by limey1K
Is it a 1K pre-board line or ALL pre-boards together?
It's usually ALL pre-boards, but managed well, in sequence. Others can chime in if they've seen 1k only. Here's GRU's (understanding this won't work everywhere due to space):

ContinentalFan and limey1K like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ftweb
I am getting increasingly fed up with 1K

The other day I had three 1Ks shove in front of me and my kids (also 1K) just because they didn't think we were 1K (and had no sense of politeness). The week before I had some group 1 customers clog up the 1K line and prevent me from boarding while other 1Ks just shoved their way through. It's also often unclear where 1Ks are supposed to line up--at some gates it's through line 1 or next to line 1, at others there's a different place to cut the line on the other side of the counter. The G gates at SFO are particularly bad, because there seem to be two lines at each side of the counter, none of them for 1K, and the gates get so crowded that it's hard to move around.

Are we really supposed to treat 1K pre-boarding like some kind of contact sport where we all just shove each other out of the way and claw our way onto the aircraft?
I have said this before and will restate it. Many of my fellow 1K flyers are delightful, pleasant and polite. However, there is a subset that annoy the heck out of me.

1K boards after families with children 2 and under. I have been one of those people and it just takes times with kids, strollers, getting settled. I always appreciated the opportunity to pre-board. However, the few 1Ks that want to shove past these families is just so rude. These families are not going to take the overhead space from them, young children get unsettled if their parents are feeling frazzled and the last thing I want is an upset child on my flight - that is annoying (it cannot he helped at times but the boarding rudeness by 1K members should not be the cause). More often than not I will just stand behind them as they fold the stroller, etc to run interference for them. I hear the heavy sighs and I just ignore them and if someone says something I state they are ahead of me and I am not going to be rude and push past them.

End of rant.

Looking forward to the return of 1K flyers who are pleasant, polite and patient....🤞
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Much of these problems could be easily mitigated by direct involvement from the gate agent to get the lines in order before boarding. At wide body gates, there are plenty of gate agents for one to step out and get the pre boarding lines setup in order and use the straps to minimize cutting and pushing into the line. Until everyone is in a single file line, no one should be boarding. At narrow body gates, proactive announcements can get all of the right people int the right lines well before boarding begins, and that includes making sure that the ONLY people standing anywhere near the gate are disabled, GS, 1K and families with strollers and children under 2 (this should really be defined as families with strollers or infant in arms only). If you're not pre-boarding, or in G1 or G2, you should be sitting down or standing far away from the door area.

The fact of the matter is the GAs, for the most part, just don't care - whoever shows up to wave a boarding pass under the scanner is let on, half the time they don't even look.

I'm particularly annoyed with the chaos of United boarding, and Air Canada boarding which is often worse than United with far more aggressive cutters and pushers because when I was a GA back in my college days, I ran my boarding with military precision, and that included paying attention to what was happening in front of me, and I would absolutely call out line cutters and pushers and have them step out and wait to board last in their priority group. I rarely had any of these problems because I wasn't afraid to get on the PA and be proactive so everyone knew how boarding would be handled.

At NRT, for the most part, they can board a widebody in half the time a US based GA can board a 737 because of going out into the line with signs, and sorting everyone into single file groups inside the straps which makes chaos and shoving much more difficult.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by UAFAM
I hope UA follow DL and get rid of 1K pre-boarding and instead give priority to first class passengers:

1. People with disability, active military, ...
2. GS
3. First class
4. Family with kids < 2
5. Group 1 , ...
Except DL lumps their GS equivalent (Delta 360) with their 1K equivalent (Diamond Medallion) together in #2. The other difference is that D360 is a "Diamond with distinction" service and not a real higher tier like GS is.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:47 am

Is it a 1K pre-board line or ALL pre-boards together?
All.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
All.
Sounds awful.I regularly see 10-15 people pre-board on a domestic narrow-body. If you double that number for a wide-body and you're standing 20 back as a GS, how do you "pre-board" past all the others standing (or sitting in wheelchairs) in front of you in the chute?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Sounds awful.I regularly see 10-15 people pre-board on a domestic narrow-body. If you double that number for a wide-body and you're standing 20 back as a GS, how do you "pre-board" past all the others standing (or sitting in wheelchairs) in front of you in the chute?
At international stations, it does seem to work - it acts as a 2-3 person-wide corral and then you still board by Pre-Board order. I haven't seen GS pushing past wheelchairs since disabilities go first.

I'm not suggesting it works domestically as the gate areas (and departure times) are much tighter.
FLYMSY and limey1K like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:14 pm

Actually, it was one of the most pleasant pre-boarding experiences that I’ve had. Very efficient and quick. It wasn’t a typical U.S. boarding scrum.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It would help if UA FAs monitored and protected the F bin space, as the FAs do on AA.

But the E75 is a special problem due to the very limited full-size bin space.
I saw a UA FA do this on a flight recently — I think it was an A320. I didn’t get upgraded, but was one of the first to preboard*. When I got to the front of the plane, she said something like “oh, please wait a moment” and then closed bins above a couple of first class rows as well as the bulkhead row. She half-apologized for asking me to wait, and I told her that while I didn’t get upgraded on this flight, I might on another flight, and I’d appreciate what she’d done if I were.

* Which I write 20 minutes after I ask why people are in such a hurry to be first on the plane on another thread. But I did have a carry-on, and I certainly realize that nobody wants to be in the middle of boarding where you end up in the long, slow-moving Jetway line. I concur with others that if I could guarantee overhead space, I’d board just before the door closes every time.
SPN Lifer, Kacee, nomad420 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Do you mean there's no benefit to being at front of pre-board line vs. bringing up the rear on preboarding? I would agree with that. But there's definitely an advantage over Group 1, particularly on E75s and Airbus, where missing pre-boarding may mean your roller has to go in a Y bin.
Yes, first to preboard vs last to preboard. The rush to be first to preboard is what causes the problem, not the preboard itself.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I concur with others that if I could guarantee overhead space, I’d board just before the door closes every time.
I generally have to check a bag for business so given I can check up to three bags free my carry on is always very limited (in for a penney in for a pound so to say). I book an aisle and exit row seat when possible, hang at the UC, and basically board dead last. Been doing that for years and the only problem I have had the rare seat poacher.
jsloan and uanj like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
All.
The last time I flew out of NRT the pre-boarding line was split: GS in the front with a special sign, 1K/everyone else behind them.
SPN Lifer and benewr like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
The last time I flew out of NRT the pre-boarding line was split: GS in the front with a special sign, 1K/everyone else behind them.
I was at NRT a couple of weeks ago. I saw the standard Group 1 / Group 2 sign, plus an additional one for "Preboarding." I don't recall seeing such a sign or separate line like that at any other station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.