Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gcashin
Block time for LAX-RAR is 9 hours 45 mins. I believe it meets the intent of the Polaris Lounge as a long haul International flight in Business Class, but I'm wondering whether UA's computers will agree.
The hour shorter SFO-PPT (and SFO-LIM) works, so would be very surprized if there is an issue.

The main intent was to remove the access destination where UA would have not marketed as Polaris -- the initial issue was flights to Canada from ORD and other Nothern American, Caribean, ... destinations.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Correct, No PL on the return but you will have access to one of four United Clubs (UC) as a departing International Business passenger
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ited-club.html (hint -- IMO, the best choice is the one closest to your departing gate)
If there's more than 30-60 minutes, I'd argue the closest UC (international) is bad enough to warrant the trek to one of the others.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If there's more than 30-60 minutes, I'd argue the closest UC (international) is bad enough to warrant the trek to one of the others.
Thanks for the tip. I have about 3.5 hrs so I think I will head over to one of the other lounges then.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Disagree having spend two hours (7-9AM) there this week but that is the subject of the other thread.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
It's still the same banner I've seen at LAX, SFO, and IAH at least. But RAR being part of Oceania doesn't make it PL-eligible. The "spirit" is "long haul", and the definition is listed by continent. Asia and Europe are not "qualified" by any country listing, meaning all destinations are eligible. However, Oceania and South America have "qualification" listed. They list the four southernmost countries so anything closer you can't go in. Oceania as a continent includes Guam and Hawaii but those aren't eligible. While it's debatable whether RAR is NZ, it is in the same direction an extra hour beyond Tahiti, so I'd say RAR is eligible.
I know this is United branded lounge we're talking about, but Air NZ, which is the operating carrier in this case, classifies LAX-RAR as an international Long Haul route.

Also, the fine print on the website is not clear.
This is from their Polaris lounge access rules web page "Long-haul international flights include those from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe and select South American countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru" which is listed all the way down the bottom.
Notice they have not mentioned Oceania but simply Australia. Australia IMO is a country and if their intention was to mention continents in the above sentence they should have worded that better - e.g. Australasia (or Oceania) which includes Australia, NZ and pacific island countries which RAR (or Cook Islands) is a part of. Also the word "select" appears only applies to the South American countries. If they wanted to exclude RAR from Oceania (or Australia), I suppose they would have done it explicitly by stating "only select Australasian destinations including Australia, NZ, etc."
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I feel like many are overanalyzing the UA Polaris access signage. UA listed those countries because those are the Polaris destinations served by UA and it made it clear that Canada/Caribbean and Colombia are excluded. RAR is not a UA destination so UA probably never considered it or even bothered differentiating Oceania with all its other countries.

The sign also doesn't list "Africa" and UA is going to serve CPT in 5 months time.

Given that RAR is longer than PPT, I would assume NZ business class passengers would get access. Just as I would assume that ET business class passengers going to LFW/ADD would also have access to EWR Polaris lounge. But then again, who knows what random access rules the Polaris agents follow.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
But then again, who knows what random access rules the Polaris agents follow.
Generally, "scan boarding pass and see what the computer says."

I suspect once someone actually tries LAX-RAR, this will be a non-story.

Wait. RAR? Ted?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I realize that there has been a lot of discussion on definition of "same-day", but wondering about the following scenario:

Domestic red-eye leaving after midnight, connecting to same-calendar day Polaris flight.

Will I have access to the PL the evening before the red-eye?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by econ
I realize that there has been a lot of discussion on definition of "same-day", but wondering about the following scenario:

Domestic red-eye leaving after midnight, connecting to same-calendar day Polaris flight.

Will I have access to the PL the evening before the red-eye?
I don't think we have a clear answer. There have been mixed reports.

The one issue is most PLs close long before midnight. And dinning rooms shutdown even earlier.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:32 pm

Thanks for everyone's help earlier. I had to completely change my flights and now I will be flying business (AC) YVR-ORD, (TK) ORD-IST-PRG then (SK) PRG-ARN (SK)ARN-LAX, (AC) LAX-YVR (economy leg). So, is AC transborder considered an international flight in terms of determining the connecting airport? I just don't understand if ORD is considered my departure airport or my connecting airport. I am so confused. Anyway, would I get Polaris Lounge access in ORD??

Also, I will probably get access to the United Club lounge in LAX since I have a business award ticket, correct? TIA
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nootka
would I get Polaris Lounge access in ORD??
Yes. Though it may not be particularly convenient for the TK departure from T5.
Also, I will probably get access to the United Club lounge in LAX since I have a business award ticket, correct?
Only if you're *G. If LAX-YVR were business class, you would get UC access.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. Though it may not be particularly convenient for the TK departure from T5.

Only if you're *G. If LAX-YVR were business class, you would get UC access.
Thanks for your reply. Sadly, only the ARN - LAX flight is business. The connecting LAX-YVR is economy. I have had luck showing my business award ticket and getting into Maple Leaf Lounges in the past in similar circumstances. But, I guess I will see what happens when I get there.

So sorry, to bother you again, but I keep reading threads and people have said that TK only offers access to contract lounge in T5. Is this still the case since I have also read that the Worldwide Flights Services Contract Lounge is now closed? I just don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks again for your help/patience.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
So sorry, to bother you again, but I keep reading threads and people have said that TK only offers access to contract lounge in T5. Is this still the case since I have also read that the Worldwide Flights Services Contract Lounge is now closed? I just don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks again for your help/patience.
Not sure which lounge TK gives you invite to, but in any case there are also SK and LX lounges in ORD Terminal 5 which you should have access to as business class passenger. LX lounge closes at 7PM and SK lounge closes right before the last SK flight.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The visit to the Polaris Lounge all depends on how long nootka has in ORD as the incoming flight should arrive in Terminal 1 or 2 anyway. There's now a bus leaving from Gate B1 (Terminal 1 Concourse B) that goes to Terminal 5.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jul 21, 2019 at 5:34 am
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had luck showing my business award ticket and getting into Maple Leaf Lounges in the past in similar circumstances. But, I guess I will see what happens when I get there.
The United Club is not the Maple Leaf Lounge.

The board is riddled with complaints from people in your exact same situation who didn't get UC access.

If you really want to visit the United Club, you can generally find a pass on eBay for $20 or so. The LAX club is one of the nicer ones domestically, but it wouldn't be worth $20 to me personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.