Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.
What else do it need for access?
  • Reports indicate that most PL's require a passport in addition to boarding pass for access. Some locations may accept other forms of ID (driver's license, etc.). This appears to be a response to possible fraudulent attempts at access (e.g., double printing BPs for friends).
If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those departing on a *A airline in long-haul Int'l First on a plane w/ First and Business classes has guesting privileges. One guest only, and that guest must be departing on same flight, in any class..
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger. No longer relevant

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Archive: Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Is this a change in policy? Or perhaps I received incorrect information from an agent? I was denied entry into the EWR Polaris lounge even though I flew SIN-SFO earlier that day. The agent said to me you can only go into the lounge immediately following your long-haul flight in Polaris.
Originally Posted by findark
The policy has been the same since day one, but agents have been getting significantly stricter about their interpretation of "same day". You should have been allowed access at EWR, but the longer away from the Polaris flight you are the harder it is to pass the dragons.
I was in similar situation a few months ago, although slightly different since I still had another onward domestic flight out of EWR. Flew in Polaris earlier the same day (not arriving EWR).

It was interesting because I initially handed over the BP with the Polaris segment since I figured that's what would get me in. But whatever computer the agent looks at said that I didn't have access.

Then I asked to have the onward domestic BP scanned. In that case, the computer said yes.

The agent seemed very surprised by this, and even mentioned it to the other agents there. But I did my best to hurry things along before they could think up some other reason to not let me in.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
When I put it away, yes. And also the principle of it. What is the reason? If I can identify myself, what the big deal? I guess I don't like to obey stupid instructions.
I can think of one reason, which is that it would be one way to prevent domestic travelers from buying a Polaris ticket just to use the lounge...they might not have their passport on them. But: 1. They have other ways to detect and punish this 2. If you were prone to doing this you’d probably also be smart enough to have your passport along with you.

A much less likely reason would be it adds an extra chance of ensuring passengers traveling internationally have a valid passport since United is obligated to deport you at their expense if you show up without one. Business class passengers are more expensive, but I don’t think they’re required to return you in the same class of service? Again this hardly seems reason enough to institute it as a manner of policy.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
I was in similar situation a few months ago, although slightly different since I still had another onward domestic flight out of EWR. Flew in Polaris earlier the same day (not arriving EWR).

It was interesting because I initially handed over the BP with the Polaris segment since I figured that's what would get me in. But whatever computer the agent looks at said that I didn't have access.

Then I asked to have the onward domestic BP scanned. In that case, the computer said yes.

The agent seemed very surprised by this, and even mentioned it to the other agents there. But I did my best to hurry things along before they could think up some other reason to not let me in.
The very first time I used Polaris at SFO, I first used my LAX-SIN BP and it didn't work. The agent needed my SFO-LAX.

This could be the explanation for several reported lounge denials.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:18 pm

Good evening. ORD-IAD-EZE; IAD-EZE in Polaris. Am I correct in assuming that I can access the PL at ORD? Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, assuming all same day.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: 1K Mileage Plus
Question ** Polaris Lounge **

This has been cross-posted on the Airport Lounges forum.

I am very familiar with Continental/United and the United Club. I have been in the Polaris Lounge in Houston several times. Here are my questions, and thanks in advance for your response.

1) I read elsewhere on Flyer Talk that there may be Polaris Lounge passes available. Are these out there somewhere, and if so, where? In addition, do guests not flying in Polaris class have any chance of accessing the lounge with me when I am in Polaris?

2) I am flying IAH - LAX - SYD soon. The first leg of the trip is in domestic first class, and the long haul flight is in Polaris. Can I access the Polaris Lounge at IAH even though I will be in domestic first for the segment leaving IAH?

Again, thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 82Ag
This has been cross-posted on the Airport Lounges forum. ...
Please do not cross post, it is a violation of the https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#crossposting]FT Rules.. Have requested the Airport Lounge Forum moderators close that thread.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

1) I read elsewhere on Flyer Talk that there may be Polaris Lounge passes available. ...
Not true, no Polaris lounge passes

do guests not flying in Polaris class have any chance of accessing the lounge with me when I am in Polaris?
No guest if a Polaris passenger. Guests only if flying a true International First Class. Polaris is International Business Class.

2) I am flying IAH - LAX - SYD soon. The first leg of the trip is in domestic first class, and the long haul flight is in Polaris. Can I access the Polaris Lounge at IAH even though I will be in domestic first for the segment leaving IAH? ...
Yes (if the subsequent long haul is UA operated Polaris cabin)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Polaris SF access

Howdy! Quick question: I’m flying IST -> SFO -> SEA on a trip booked through united with points. IST SFO is in Turkish business, SFO SEA is in united coach.

Will I have access to the Polaris lounge or any lounge in SFO? Everything booked as one trip, with a 2 hour layover.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA MP
Since inbound flight to SFO isn't in Polaris, no access.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hergertarian
Howdy! Quick question: I’m flying IST -> SFO -> SEA on a trip booked through united with points. Will I have access to the Polaris lounge or any lounge in SFO? Everything booked as one trip, with a 2 hour layover.
Assuming IST->SFO is operated by TK and you don't have *G status or UC membership, you will have no access to a UA operated lounge in SFO.
If flying *A business (or *G or UC membership) you will have access to the TK lounge in IST.

With a 2 hour connection, you will not have much time or a lounge anyways.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Last Wednesday, I flew LHR SFO in Polaris. Arrival approx. 330pm. I overnighted. Next day, Thursday, I was flying SFO EWR (new 787-10 in Polaris - I know that doesn't give access). This was a 2pm departure, making my "Lay over" under 24 hours. I tried to access Polaris. First agent said this is fine, but couldn't get boarding passes to accept. Second agent said it had to be "same day". I left and accepted that.

As I walked to the UA Club, I questioned what "Same day" meant, when many international flights arrive on different dates, etc. I went to UA Club, and they agreed that I was eligible for Polaris access lounge. They confirmed with a higher up. I went back and they apologized profusely. The term "Same Day" is vague with international travel. They concluded it meant a connection in under 24 hours of arrival or departure of a Polaris flight.

Anybody else have a similar experience?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
... Anybody else have a similar experience?
There have been numerous reports (in this thread and others) non-same day denials while within 24-hour period. Same day seems to mean the same day as arrival in the lounge airport. But a few have been successful with the 24-hour access. Note UCs do seem to consistently use 24-hour access rule.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
First agent said this is fine, but couldn't get boarding passes to accept. Second agent said it had to be "same day". I left and accepted that.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been numerous reports (in this thread and others) non-same day denials while within 24-hour period. Same day seems to mean the same day as arrival in the lounge airport.
It's a reasonable conclusion that the Polaris scanners have been programmed to reject prior day BPs, and that this reflects UA's interpretation of "same day" for purposes of Polaris lounge access. It's UA's rule, so they do get to interpret it as they wish (nor is that interpretation unreasonable).

Note that they will accept BPs for flights departing within an hour or two of midnight the next day, e.g., SQ1 and BR17/27.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a reasonable conclusion that the Polaris scanners have been programmed to reject prior day BPs, and that this reflects UA's interpretation of "same day" for purposes of Polaris lounge access. It's UA's rule, so they do get to interpret it as they wish (nor is that interpretation unreasonable).

Note that they will accept BPs for flights departing within an hour or two of midnight the next day, e.g., SQ1 and BR17/27.
I'm thinking you're right, and United is trying to mimic the Start Alliance lounge policy, which (in part) reads:

"if the following conditions are met:
  1. Your flight departs on the same day of your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning"
And I'm thinking UA now has some agents "making up rules" after beeper says "No", but now occasionally in favor of arriving Polaris passengers who show up the next day after spending the night in a hotel or whatever. I think one should be pleased they get in but a denial is actually UA's intended official policy.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 18, 2019 at 10:23 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And I'm thinking UA now has some agents "making up rules" after beeper says "No", but now occasionally in favor of arriving Polaris passengers who show up the next day after spending the night in a hotel or whatever. I think one should be pleased they get in but a denial is actually UA's intended official policy.
Given their insistence on viewing passports (i.e., blindly following undocumented "rules"), I'm surprised that agents feel safe making up rules! But, in a way, it is refreshing that they sometimes apply some common sense in unique or exceptional circumstances.

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.