Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I just had a GPU accepted on a TATL 777 flight from J to F for early June. I had waitlisted with it just to have a chance to ride one more time on UA F before it goes away.I am on upgraded R space on the return flight, and wonder if I will get an offer to upgrade to F on that.Right now, that one is showing empty in F.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:36 pm

What are the odds that UA will start flying reconfigured aircraft ORD to germany (FRA or MUC) by the end of the year? Wondering if I should use up my GPUs now while there is still a third class to fly...
Old May 6, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ophelia
What are the odds that UA will start flying reconfigured aircraft ORD to germany (FRA or MUC) by the end of the year? Wondering if I should use up my GPUs now while there is still a third class to fly...
Anything can happen. Yesterday, the flight 988 from FRA to IAD was unexpectedly switched to a reconfigured 772 from the three class 772. Then, it was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance. The switch made an unhappy FTer that posted about it on another thread. I guess the cancellation made many more passengers unhappy but we did not hear about that. Although maybe they get the European compensation and some passengers may be less unhappy.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I think the answer is NO but anyone have experience of upgrading from paid Z or P to F using a GPU?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I think the answer is NO but anyone have experience of upgrading from paid Z or P to F using a GPU?
I think you have to upfare to an eligible fare before you can waitlist with the GPU.

I also think that I missed my last chance of flying Polaris First again (OK, I had only flight in that class). When I purchased in March my roundtrip ORD-PVG-ORD for July, Polaris First was only $1500 more for the roundtrip that my P fare. At that time, I did not realize that Polaris First tickets soon would not be sold. I checked this past week and could only waitlist it for miles + copay. That's way too much in comparison to the $1500.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think you have to upfare to an eligible fare before you can waitlist with the GPU.

I also think that I missed my last chance of flying Polaris First again (OK, I had only flight in that class). When I purchased in March my roundtrip ORD-PVG-ORD for July, Polaris First was only $1500 more for the roundtrip that my P fare. At that time, I did not realize that Polaris First tickets soon would not be sold. I checked this past week and could only waitlist it for miles + copay. That's way too much in comparison to the $1500.
Yep that's all I'm seeing right now as well. Wish they could, temporarily, allow GPUs for P and Z fares.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Angry

A couple of weeks ago I was flying NAP-FRA-ORD in Z-fare on LH. We were delayed out of Naples (fog), and it was clear I would miss my connection. I called GS to be protected on 906 FRA-ORD. Unfortunately, C was sold out and they said with my Z fare I couldn't use a GPU for an upgrade to F and would have to fly in coach. Fortunately, by the time I arrived at the gate, I had been op-uped into 1H with no GPU taken. I guess all's well that end's well, though there was some unnecessary stomach acid secreted during that time (plus the GPU expired unused 2 days later...). So, at least then, no GPU for Z/P.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDT1955
A couple of weeks ago I was flying NAP-FRA-ORD in Z-fare on LH. We were delayed out of Naples (fog), and it was clear I would miss my connection. I called GS to be protected on 906 FRA-ORD. Unfortunately, C was sold out and they said with my Z fare I couldn't use a GPU for an upgrade to F and would have to fly in coach. Fortunately, by the time I arrived at the gate, I had been op-uped into 1H with no GPU taken. I guess all's well that end's well, though there was some unnecessary stomach acid secreted during that time (plus the GPU expired unused 2 days later...). So, at least then, no GPU for Z/P.
Thanks for that vignette. Seems you were aided by IRROPs and some compassion at FRA along with being 1K. Wish, for the next several months, that they'd just let folks use GPUs for Z or P fares. Let folks burn their GPUs! OH well.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Thanks for that vignette. Seems you were aided by IRROPs and some compassion at FRA along with being 1K. Wish, for the next several months, that they'd just let folks use GPUs for Z or P fares. Let folks burn their GPUs! OH well.
Especially since LH is letting folks use GPUs to upgrade Z and P fares already
Old May 11, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Booked ORD-FRA-FCO next week, using T-->XN and then upgraded with a GPU into PN for the ORD-FRA leg. F is still for sale, showing F5 ON3 at the moment. Given I can't double upgrade, I'm assuming little chance of upgrade at the gate as a GS. However, I would have been open to spending another 30K miles if R were to open up, and do R-->IN-->ON for a confirmed F seat. But I've been keeping an eye on this one since booking a few months ago, and R inventory hasn't opened up... and I'm assuming since it's showing J4 at this point that it's probably unlikely to open up between now and departure. Any thoughts? I assume calling GS and indicating I'd be open to paying more (miles) if R opens would fall on deaf ears given this is still an award ticket.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bluepig1
Booked ORD-FRA-FCO next week, using T-->XN and then upgraded with a GPU into PN for the ORD-FRA leg. F is still for sale, showing F5 ON3 at the moment. Given I can't double upgrade, I'm assuming little chance of upgrade at the gate as a GS. However, I would have been open to spending another 30K miles if R were to open up, and do R-->IN-->ON for a confirmed F seat. But I've been keeping an eye on this one since booking a few months ago, and R inventory hasn't opened up... and I'm assuming since it's showing J4 at this point that it's probably unlikely to open up between now and departure. Any thoughts? I assume calling GS and indicating I'd be open to paying more (miles) if R opens would fall on deaf ears given this is still an award ticket.
J4F5 could also be a J oversell, did you check? If that's the case I'd hope for an OPUP
Old May 14, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
J4F5 could also be a J oversell, did you check? If that's the case I'd hope for an OPUP
I didn't check on your oversell suggestion (I don't actually know how?). Ended up being a moot point; was able to push through a T-72 upgrade to J on the direct ORD-FCO flight.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
United could not confirm my first seat today. So I took American from ord to lhr. And cancelled the United. That is an $12k swing for them - $8k for the first class I historically would have booked. And $4k foregone for the business class I cancelled because their product is inferior. I sent the American receipt to GS. Hopefully they learn they pushing away their highest value fliers. I spent close to $200k on ua last year. Will probably only spend $50 this year. My ba / aa spend are way up.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann

Especially since LH is letting folks use GPUs to upgrade Z and P fares already
Huh? Is this anecdotal or an actual policy change?
Old May 15, 2018, 12:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by st530
Huh? Is this anecdotal or an actual policy change?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29645467-post1328.html
on going discussion in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ht-credit.html
Some issues with codeshares as agents are not aware of the change and push back on converting codeshares. But reports of success on native flight numbers

LH frum - LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.