Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by raehl311
You might have better luck through some other channel, or using your GS powers on an airport agent who can make the call to someone who can apply your GPU.
You just go to the check-in counter or gate, cross your arms, and intone, "GS powers...Activate!" I could make a demonstration video for you...
RNE, COEWR2587, dinoscool3 and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
(1) Assume that the two folks on all three of these lists are standby non-revs?
Most likely, yes.

(3) Is it correct that I can't use a GPU (or other instrument) < 24 hours? (Just because it's the equipment switch and they aren't selling first?)
You cannot make a new instrument upgrade request within 24 hours -- this is independent of any equipment swap. It is possible although difficult for an agent to manually add both a waitlisted ON segment and force you onto the First standby list with the correct priority, while debiting a GPU. THat's a HUCA situation.

(4) Will check in order trump fare class (P) on the upgrade priority?
But you can't apply a GPU to a P fare anyway.

The flight is currently zeroed out and is almost certainly overbooked. The odds of getting an op-up to F should be pretty good as a GS. I would chat up the gate agent about it.
LimeyFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Thank you all for your responses.. so here's how it panned out:

No upgrades at check in.

Upgraded at the gate (which is a little sad, otherwise could have used the LH first class lounge, which is super nice.)

All the screens on the business and first class upgrades (and standby) kept the same two names on them.

The app consistently showed all cabins as full and unavailable.

No final indications of who had been upgraded in the app.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Thank you all for your responses.. so here's how it panned out:

No upgrades at check in.

Upgraded at the gate (which is a little sad, otherwise could have used the LH first class lounge, which is super nice.)

All the screens on the business and first class upgrades (and standby) kept the same two names on them.

The app consistently showed all cabins as full and unavailable.

No final indications of who had been upgraded in the app.
You have to fly LH First Class to use their First Class Lounge. UA First will only get you into the Senator Lounge.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by sannmann

You have to fly LH First Class to use their First Class Lounge. UA First will only get you into the Senator Lounge.
UAGS in UA F departing MUC/FRA can use FCL (not FRA FCT).
BThumme and LimeyFlyer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by EWR764

UAGS in UA F departing MUC/FRA can use FCL (not FRA FCT).
Exactly.. and I was in the MUC LH FCL a few weeks ago: what a pleasant place to be, with excellent a la carte menu, and a relaxed atmosphere. The only weird thing for me was that there is a polizei in the lobby who you have to give your passport to while you are there because it is Schengen and non-Schengen.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Exactly.. and I was in the MUC LH FCL a few weeks ago: what a pleasant place to be, with excellent a la carte menu, and a relaxed atmosphere. The only weird thing for me was that there is a polizei in the lobby who you have to give your passport to while you are there because it is Schengen and non-Schengen.
a very small inconvenience and understandable with folks being able to move between Schengen and non-Schengen ... really no other way to deal with this I guess.
Such a nice lounge though, well worth the 'hassle'

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 18, 2018 at 5:18 am Reason: snark removed
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:40 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Mrs 1P and I did not have this experience in the MUC LH FCL in March, going to LHR from MUC on EU passports. No Polizei and no passport requested, just showed our F from LAX (and J to London) boarding passes at the club door.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 1P
Mrs 1P and I did not have this experience in the MUC LH FCL in March, going to LHR from MUC on EU passports. No Polizei and no passport requested, just showed our F from LAX (and J to London) boarding passes at the club door.
Traveling the opposite direction LHR-MUC-US last week, passport was requested.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Confirmed on UA 268, SFO-ORD, on 21-NOV-2018, and the current seatmap shows a three class 777-200 V1. F0 FN0 A0 ON0 O0 J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9....so they're not selling seats in First, and they are selling seats in Business. Obvious assumption, but they're retrofitting this plane to Polaris, and as such they're not selling seats in F, correct?

I'd like to upgrade from Economy to Business, hopefully using an RPU or GPU. (I know that R space needs to be available.)

Questions - What are the chances that this plane has the new Polaris seats by 21-NOV? If the plane still has Global First seats on 21-NOV, and my upgrade into C has cleared, how will upgrades into F be handled?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Questions - What are the chances that this plane has the new Polaris seats by 21-NOV? If the plane still has Global First seats on 21-NOV, and my upgrade into C has cleared, how will upgrades into F be handled?
Can't tell you what the chances are of a Polaris-equipped plane. They will change that as departure date gets closer but usually by 30 days the plane type is locked.

If you get upgraded to business using any instrument (miles, GPU, RPU, CPU) you are not eligible for a seat in first. Only elites who have paid for business (J/A/C/D/Z/P) are eligible for the upgrade. Upgrades are only processed at the gate and not in advance. Non-revs will also be listed for all classes including economy, business and first.

-RM
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Thanks RM. The first and last time I flew in first on a three class plane was SFO-ORD on the 744. Bought economy, but either immediately after purchase or during OLCI I received a buy-up and was pleasantly surprised when I skipped the business cabin.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not terribly likely, just based on count of frames in mod. Probably between 10 and 50%. If it is still sold as 3-class (like it is now, even if F is zeroed out), then people with confirmed, paid Business fares will be eligible for upgrades to First.

Thanks RM. The first and last time I flew in first on a three class plane was SFO-ORD on the 744. Bought economy, but either immediately after purchase or during OLCI I received a buy-up and was pleasantly surprised when I skipped the business cabin.
The fee-upgrades have historically been able to be double upgrades because they like to book into A. I rode in the point end of a few domestic 772 runs that way
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
Hmmm.. that's interesting... I can't remember exactly which way around I did this, but I have a UK and a US passport, and I think I showed a US passport and was asked why there wasn't a stamp in it, so I then pulled the UK passport....

Did you see the Polizei booth on the left as you walked and if it was staffed?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
At check-in for our return from PVG yesterday, neither my wife nor I received a TOD to First. Website in the section where you can choose your seat was saying that First was "Sold Out" even though Flight Status was saying it was only 3/8 sold. Obviously UA felt we did not deserve an offer as we had not taken the $1900 offer for the outbound. Day of departure, First was sold 4/8 and there were 5 non-revs waitlisted for the upgrade. At boarding, one non-rev was upgraded. First left with 3 empty seats. Business was full starting two weeks prior to the flight. There were 11 passengers on the upgrade list (6 + the 5 non-revs). One passenger was upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.