Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser
Are UA really competition for CX?

I'm personally staggered that people would pick UA F over CX F, particularly at the same pricepoint.
If you need GS for domestic travel, it makes sense. Otherwise, no.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:19 am

UA award upgrade to Polaris business / seat assignment

I upgraded a paid full fare economy ticket to “Polaris” business to CDG which departs later today. I was confirmed but not given a seat assignment, so I called the Mileage Plus desk.

The agent said he could assign the seat for me, and said rows 1-2 were open. These show as first class on the seat map and look more desireable, so I requested 1A and he said no problem. I asked if it was an issue since it says First, but he said no and both classes book the same for his aircraft.

I went back and looked at business vs first ticket pricing, and it was the same.

Yesterday I checked into the flight to find I was assigned seat 8K. I called back and they tried to assign 1A, but said they couldn’t do it and I could do it at the airport. When I try myself on the app/website, it lets me select the seat at a cost of $1,000+.

Anyone know if the first agent was just misinformed, or if I can indeed book something in rows 1 or 2 being on a business class ticket? This is UA 777-200, 3 class cabin so it looks like the old layout/seats.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You had a confirmed upgraded Y ticket to (Polaris) Business ... you didn't have a C > F upgrade.
So the first agent was incorrect and it seems the system caught the error and moved you.
As to getting into (Polaris) First seats while they are still available, read here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rst-sales.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 2, 2018 at 6:33 am Reason: added 'no C> F"
Old May 2, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Michilander
Just to add a datapoint; booked business saver ORD-BRU some time ago. 777-200 both ways, so I waitlisted for O. Both cleared about a month ago. Flew outbound on 24 April. At check-in I was still the only person showing on the seat map in F. At 24 hours the same 9 names appeared on the standby list, business upgrade list and first upgrade list. Obviously non-revs. Some time after that, but before gate control, another seat showed assigned on the seat map. At the gate, there were still 6 seats showing available in F and the same 9 names on the upgrade list. F went out full, so I am thinking there was me and another passenger on either an award or revenue ticket, and 6 non-revs.

As of right now, my seat is the only one in F shown as taken on the seat map for the return flight.
Same thing happened on the return flight yesterday. At the gate, only my seat was shown as taken in First. Same names on standby and both upgrade lists. Cabin went out full.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by j-rad
Anyone know if the first agent was just misinformed, or if I can indeed book something in rows 1 or 2 being on a business class ticket? This is UA 777-200, 3 class cabin so it looks like the old layout/seats.
What is your fare class? F/A or J/C/D/Z/P?

The handling of F seats on the three cabin aircraft is kind of a mess right now because UA is transitioning them out of the fleet.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:01 am

Yes, First Class is not being sold for 777-200 flights starting 6/20. 767-300 is already not selling.
So the only way to get into those seats is to request a GPU/MUA upgrade but you will be waitlisted until day of departure and clear then.
If business class is oversold, UA will perform op-ups from business class before clearing NRSAs.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Yes, First Class is not being sold for 777-200 flights starting 6/20. 767-300 is already not selling.
So the only way to get into those seats is to request a GPU/MUA upgrade but you will be waitlisted until day of departure and clear then.
If business class is oversold, UA will perform op-ups from business class before clearing NRSAs.
I don’t see the option online to request an MUA - maybe because it’s the day of departure?
Old May 2, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j-rad

I don’t see the option online to request an MUA - maybe because it’s the day of departure?
Yes, it's against policy to allow new upgrade requests within T-24, so they remove the option from the website, and agents are supposed to decline your request if you call (unless there happens to be space available in the upgrade fare bucket, ON).

Also, it's not clear what your current fare class is, either. Your buy-up could have put you into an award fare class, in which case you likely wouldn't have been able to use an MUA anyway.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, it's against policy to allow new upgrade requests within T-24, so they remove the option from the website, and agents are supposed to decline your request if you call (unless there happens to be space available in the upgrade fare bucket, ON).

Also, it's not clear what your current fare class is, either. Your buy-up could have put you into an award fare class, in which case you likely wouldn't have been able to use an MUA anyway.
I believe it put me into R, so I guess there’s nothing for me to try. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:53 am

Within 24 hours of departure, you can request MUA/GPU/RPU at the airport and they will confirm you or put you on the standby list and take your upgrade instrument.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I am on the 6/11 UA106 IAD to MUC, and a few days ago called trying to use a GPU to upgrade from D class to first on the three class 777-200.

The agent told me that I would be waitlisted for the upgrade and that they were no longer selling first class: ok, consistent with what I am seeing here.

At the time I spoke to the agent, there were two seats that appeared to be assigned, and I thought nothing of it.

I went back a few minutes ago, and now three seats appear to be assigned, so I went through to try and make a booking in first and it seems to let me...

Anyone any inspiration on this?
Old May 3, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I wrote to GS customer care and asked what the policy is. Here's the reply:

Dear wxguy,
Thank you for contacting Global Service Customer care. Please see below for information regarding the suspension the sale of United Polaris first class.

Beginning March 28, we will begin suspending the sale of United Polaris first class on three-cabin aircraft in phases by aircraft type as we continue to retrofit our fleet with our new United Polaris business class cabins. This action avoids potential downgrades associated due to aircraft swaps.

• Travel on/after March 28
o United Polaris first class is not sold on flights operated by three-class B767s
• Travel on/after June 20
o United Polaris first class is not sold on flights operated by three-class B777s

To offset the reduction of United Polaris first class inventory, revenue management will increase authorization levels in United Polaris business class on three-cabin aircraft.

Customers can still submit upgrade requests for Polaris first class, and we will retain their waitlist request until departure instead of clearing those upgrades in advance.
I'm not sure what the second-to-last sentence means -- I'm not seeing an increase in PN or IN on 77W flights that I monitor.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by wxguy
I'm not sure what the second-to-last sentence means -- I'm not seeing an increase in PN or IN on 77W flights that I monitor.
I read that as they will be verselling business by the number of seats in first. They will only sort out who actually sits in the F seats at the gate. How many seats are made available for upgrades is still subject to the whims of the folks in revenue management.
wxguy likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I read that as they will be verselling business by the number of seats in first. They will only sort out who actually sits in the F seats at the gate. How many seats are made available for upgrades is still subject to the whims of the folks in revenue management.
Yes, that is how I read that too.
wxguy likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yes - "increase authorization levels" means more J space, and only in lower buckets if RM so determines. Sounds like certificates will guarantee a gate upgrade, and after that it's still a bit opaque. There was a rather disappointing story a while back on a 763 running EWR-LHR which was solder under this policy (over by 2 in Business and J4 at the gate). They op-upped two people from J to F, sat 4 NRSAs in the other seats, and refused to clear any Y->J upgrades. Don't know how I feel about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.