Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
IAD-SFO wouldn't be considered Polaris, no matter the hardware.
That doesn't matter, does it? If they aren't selling access to the seats (or showing inventory) Then the only ways to move into the cabin would be upgrade clearing, op-up or applying an instrument. Same principles apply as listed in the link. If they were selling those seats the OP should have been able to select them.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by gmt4
Isn't it possible to apply an upgrade instrument to move into F?
Actually we are already in ZN. Only used the miles because this equipment has lie-flat.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bilofsky
Thanks for the replies.
Actually we are already in ZN. Only used the miles because this equipment has lie-flat.
Ah. Gotcha. It'll have to be one of those situations where you have monitor the seat map for open seats to swap to the closer you get to departure. Use the app and refresh several times a day. You'll likely get lucky.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Upgrade to Polaris First possible

I booked flights fairly last minute, so good seats had all gone.

I used to get an option to upgrade to First on the website, but not this time. Apologies, but search did not yield an answer, is it possible to upgrade to Polaris First? There does appear to be a wait list on the App, but how do you now upgrade?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2018 at 1:34 pm Reason: moved to exisiting discussion
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueBMango
I booked flights fairly last minute, so good seats had all gone.

I used to get an option to upgrade to First on the website, but not this time. Apologies, but search did not yield an answer, is it possible to upgrade to Polaris First? There does appear to be a wait list on the App, but how do you now upgrade?

Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

First question to answer is what is your fare class. Anything above P or Z you should be able to waitlist the upgrade to First with GPUs. You can also use miles + copay on any Business fare (obviously, some fares only require miles and no copay). However, lately, it seems that some phone agents refuse to waitlist until it's more firmed up that the plane has the old First Class seats. That would be 2 or 3 days before the flight

There's some report that the GPU were returned after the upgrade clears.

I just tested the possibility of waitlisting an upgrade to First on one of my wife's trip. On the web, she can waitlist the upgrade on a P fare with miles + copay but she cannot do a cash upgrade.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 2, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

First question to answer is what is your fare class. Anything above P or Z you should be able to waitlist the upgrade to First with GPUs. You can also use miles + copay on any Business fare (obviously, some fares only require miles and no copay). However, lately, it seems that some phone agents refuse to waitlist until it's more firmed up that the plane has the old First Class seats. That would be 2 or 3 days before the flight

I just tested the possibility of waitlisting an upgrade to First on one of my wife's trip. On the web, she can waitlist the upgrade on a P fare with miles + copay but she cannot do a cash upgrade.
Fare class is P outbound, and Z on return. There is nowhere where I can apply miles etc, or even cash for an upgrade. I was told by a United agent the fare is not upgradeable - I notice on the receipt that under "fare" it says BULK. TIcket was bought through corporate TA - does that make it unupgradeable? I am sure I have been able to do so in the past..
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueBMango

Fare class is P outbound, and Z on return. There is nowhere where I can apply miles etc, or even cash for an upgrade. I was told by a United agent the fare is not upgradeable - I notice on the receipt that under "fare" it says BULK. TIcket was bought through corporate TA - does that make it unupgradeable? I am sure I have been able to do so in the past..
I'm sorry but I know nothing about BULK tickets. Someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in. As I said, I tested it with my wife P fare from HKG and in her reservation the United website showed me that cash waitlist was not possible, Miles + copay was able to be waitlisted. Naturally I did not do it because it was only a waitlist (it cannot be confirmed for if she gets switched to a plane with the new Polaris seats) and my wife only likes 2K in the First Class area. I would have been able to confirm that seat, I would have completed the transaction.

Anyways, if you don't manage to upgrade, keep checking the seat map as other passengers upgrading may free some good seats. Or, if you are lucky, your flight will be switched to one with all new Polaris Business seats.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 2, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3.3MM
United First Class?

My apologies for ignorance, but I've been searching UA flights for an International Saver Award in First Class (to NRT or LHR or CDG). After expressing frustration with UA personnel, I was informed that NO International First Class seats are available for money or MP rewards as the company is shifting entirely to United Polaris Business-Class and "Premium Plus" seats on their aircraft. Therefore, NO International First-Class seats are being sold for either money or miles (Saver or otherwise).

Has this generally been known? I don't recall seeing this information published. I've tried to secure Saver Awards on flights to NRT/LHR/CDG and there's never anything available in First (even though seats appear to be available).

Sorry if I've simply missed the boat on this.
D
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DJR0495
My apologies for ignorance, but I've been searching UA flights for an International Saver Award in First Class (to NRT or LHR or CDG). After expressing frustration with UA personnel, I was informed that NO International First Class seats are available for money or MP rewards as the company is shifting entirely to United Polaris Business-Class and "Premium Plus" seats on their aircraft. Therefore, NO International First-Class seats are being sold for either money or miles (Saver or otherwise).

Has this generally been known? I don't recall seeing this information published. I've tried to secure Saver Awards on flights to NRT/LHR/CDG and there's never anything available in First (even though seats appear to be available).

Sorry if I've simply missed the boat on this.
D
Yes.

Lots of discussion right here in the UA forum.

A recent thread, one of many:

Is GF worth catching before it's gone
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DJR0495

Has this generally been known?....
UA announced the plan to discontinue 3-class F a few years ago. As those aircraft are being retrofitted with the Polaris seat, the 3-class F is being removed. It finally has reached the point (and incertainity on which aircraft type will will fly) that UA has discontinued sales but it is still possible to be upgraded -- as is discussed in this thread.

Some histrocial threads

Is UA Really Phasing Out Global First? {Yes}

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 6, 2018 at 8:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As UA has combined the front 2 classes of 3-class aircraft, will close this thread and refer all to
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...le-1k-gss.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.