Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by DELee
FWIW, here's what's posted to jetstream.united.com in their July 2018 newsletter:

David
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. So UA will take your paid upgrade to GF but not your upgrade cert or miles.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by omsflyer
Just flew UA 960 FRA - ORD with family 3 of us on paid Business -P class - and 2 on Business saver award tickets. All 3 of us were upgraded to F at the gate. Found out about the upgrade only when we boarded and scanner kicked our Bus boarding pass out. Never asked for an upgrade
Did you use a certificate for the 3 on paid biz class?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Did you use a certificate for the 3 on paid biz class?
omsflyer must not have used a certificate since it's stated that no upgrades were requested. Waitlisting a GPU (which cannot be used on P fares) or a miles + copay is equivalent to requesting an upgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. So UA will take your paid upgrade to GF but not your upgrade cert or miles.
Update:
I ended up purchasing Newark to Houston to Sao Paulo on the outbound all on 767's old sCo configuration - plus two polaris lounge experiences
on the inbound GRU - EWR I am biting the bullet with three class 777 sUA - hoping for an ugrade?

My tickets sits outside of the rules posted as it is flown in Sept - and F class is closed both fore booking and for any type of upgrade - as if it does not exist.
Anybody has new info on this three class situation has been handled recently?

as always thank you for your advice!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
I have a trip in October on a three-class 767 and I used a GPU to request a pending upgrade to F
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by nigos
I have a trip in October on a three-class 767 and I used a GPU to request a pending upgrade to F
From what fare?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
From what fare?
From a "D" fare
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by nigos
From a "D" fare
Thank you. You have good chances of getting the upgrade since on most of my flights, the Polaris First Class is filled with non-revs or has some non-revs and some empty seats.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cricketrun
Update:
I ended up purchasing Newark to Houston to Sao Paulo on the outbound all on 767's old sCo configuration - plus two polaris lounge experiences
on the inbound GRU - EWR I am biting the bullet with three class 777 sUA - hoping for an ugrade?

My tickets sits outside of the rules posted as it is flown in Sept - and F class is closed both fore booking and for any type of upgrade - as if it does not exist.
Anybody has new info on this three class situation has been handled recently?

as always thank you for your advice!
that is very unusual. Perhaps they are planning on an aircraft change? But in September ... that doesn't make sense. What happens when you click on the 'upgrade' button in the reservation?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
J9 but only one seat left to pick

ORD-PEK shows J9,..,Z8 but there is only one seat left to choose. I'm familiar with no open buckets but lot's of seats available (not everyone has selected a seat yet) but not this reverse case.
What's going on?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I would imagine it has to do with the first-class section – which is no longer really available for sale!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
I would imagine it has to do with the first-class section – which is no longer really available for sale!
I'm hoping that is true and either I'm moved up front or can slide into an aisle seat from an inside coffin.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
This. They will move people into F if they oversell J.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This. They will move people into F if they oversell J.
Are they leaving First empty when Business isn't full?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Michael D
Are they leaving First empty when Business isn't full?
Never. It's filled by GS/1Ks using instruments and then topped up with Non-Revs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.