Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
It was 2016 and that is not how it worked. The seats in F were assigned by someone in marketing who was targeting... well I have no idea who they were targeting. You could not buy a seat in first and you could not apply an upgrade from biz. As a GS who ended up in the 8-abreast J, I wrote an email over inflight wifi to GS saying I thought the policy was ridiculous and my next 15k in airfare was going to another airline.

123k MQMs on Delta that year.
In the interest of exhaustin, did you not appear on the UG standby list and do you know that there weren't 8 GS on higher fares than you were?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
It was 2016 and that is not how it worked. The seats in F were assigned by someone in marketing who was targeting... well I have no idea who they were targeting. You could not buy a seat in first and you could not apply an upgrade from biz. As a GS who ended up in the 8-abreast J, I wrote an email over inflight wifi to GS saying I thought the policy was ridiculous and my next 15k in airfare was going to another airline.

123k MQMs on Delta that year.
Last year, I previously reported that I received a “CPU” from J to F one a three class PS flight. A few days before the flight I received a note, thanking me for my loyalty and of the upgrade; it seemed auto-generated. I had called previously about applying an instrument but they could not apply it.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by narvik
United + Common Sense ≠ Reality
how do you know that GS manager info is accurate? maybe that is how he personally thinks it could work (for the lack of better intelligence or whatever), but that is not necessarily how UA thinks it should work.

So if a janitor at UA tells you blah blah blah, you gonna spew it out here verbatim?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
how do you know that GS manager info is accurate? maybe that is how he personally thinks it could work (for the lack of better intelligence or whatever), but that is not necessarily how UA thinks it should work.

So if a janitor at UA tells you blah blah blah, you gonna spew it out here verbatim?
Seriously? Unbelievable.

Maybe because that's what they have been doing.

I won't bother to relay any information here any longer if my sources are going to be questioned like that.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
how do you know that GS manager info is accurate?
The post to which I replied "United + Common Sense ≠ Reality" stated that someone willing to pay for First Class is unable to, and my quote: "United + Common Sense ≠ Reality" is also based on my own experience.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Seriously? Unbelievable.

I won't bother to relay any information here any longer if my sources are going to be questioned like that.
ignore them. I had the same conversation. I don’t fly as much as you but historically spent $150-200k on ua annually mostly in F ord to London. I have been forwarding them the BA first receipts. It’s asinine they won’t sell first and require upgrades. I have moved a lot of my spend.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Seriously? Unbelievable.

If F is so important to you that you'd cancel your UA ticket and take a cab from T1 to T5, buy a walkup F fare ticket at the counter (a solid 15 minutes standing there for sure), and have to clear security again, I seriously question why you are even talking to UA.

Just buy the BA ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Seriously? Unbelievable.

I also know iluv2fly's source. He is very credible and knowledgeable.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suppose that if UA does a freebie for OP, other GS who learn of it will make the same demand and those who have paid F bookings now will cancel, rebook into C and then demand their freebie as well. While I realize that UA is simply running out the thread on F, cannibalizing any revenue is just a dumb thing to do.

It's possible that the local GS guy has the ability to somehow create an OPUP for OP, but that is short-sighted thinking.

There is a reason that non-US carriers don't generally dole out freebies at all and that the US carriers don't do so on international services.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
FYI they are clearing upgrades ahead of the gate. I just received notification that my upgrade from biz to first for SFO-CDG on a three cabin PMUA 777-200 just cleared. Ticket was booked last week and travel is for end of May; I applied a GPU so it wasn’t a free op-up.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:45 am

Seriously? Unbelievable.

The only thing you managed to likely do is get this employee a slap on the wrist over being so candid with a customer who then came to a web forum to spill what they told!

I don’t think UAL is going to start doling our freebies either and i wouldn’t hold your breath.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Often1
....While I realize that UA is simply running out the thread on F, cannibalizing any revenue is just a dumb thing to do......
Of course having a parade of employees and their "buddies" waltz into First Class seats that paying GS customers can't even buy is so much smarter. Makes all those GS folks feel so valued while they sit there in their crappy 8-across seats that were advertised as "Polaris."
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by narvik
The post to which I replied "United + Common Sense ≠ Reality" stated that someone willing to pay for First Class is unable to, and my quote: "United + Common Sense ≠ Reality" is also based on my own experience.
that doesn't even make any sense. once first is eliminated, there will be 48 J seats, all upgrades will be accommodated in J before nonrev comes in (who sits in the big seats upfront might be a matter of algorthim, but it has nothing to do with nonrev)

you are seeing nonrev clearing into F is because on 777 they are still selling F until June 20th.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Of course having a parade of employees and their "buddies" waltz into First Class seats that paying GS customers can't even buy is so much smarter. Makes all those GS folks feel so valued while they sit there in their crappy 8-across seats that were advertised as "Polaris."
again not accurate. if GS is J, they can upgrade using a number of instruments or miles or money. that is how it currently works since F is still a separate cabin in 777 until at least 6/20.

for nonrev to sit in F, there is also a cost (either instrument or cash), compared to economy which is largely free. If GS is waitlisted for the upgrade, and nonrev is waitlisted for first, GS and other rev passengers will always get it first. I don't see anything wrong in this approach.

If GS is sitting in economy, why should UA upgrade GS into first simply because there is space? I think people understand this expectation is not realistic.

again after 6/20 the whole discussion will be mute, since everything is J, and considering large number of people on upgrade list using instruments on every flight, a lot less nonrev will clear into premium cabin going forward.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
The only thing you managed to likely do is get this employee a slap on the wrist over being so candid with a customer who then came to a web forum to spill what they told!

I don’t think UAL is going to start doling our freebies either and i wouldn’t hold your breath.
the problem is how do you even what the employee is saying is even sensible or even remotely accurate? i see a lot of baseless rumor in this forum that way. Again UA has almost 100,000 employees, with a spread of intelligence and know how and info. Im sure some of them will be more than happy to tell you everything they know about United or they think they know. Unfortunately, in corporate world, a lot of functions are very specific. You really have to doubt the information if it is not truly insider news.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member;overly confrontational comments per FT 12 rule removed
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by fumje
In the interest of exhaustin, did you not appear on the UG standby list and do you know that there weren't 8 GS on higher fares than you were?
See SFOdelayed's response which mirrored my experience. No F for sale, but I called in ahead of time to try to apply an RPU and they said it was not possible, but I should talk to the folks at EWR. On arrival, they informed me I could not be added to the upgrade list or purchase an upgrade as they were allocated "by management". And no I did not appear on the upgrade list.

Edit: I also went back and checked my email on this. I remember being particularly frustrated because I was booked on a full, absurdly high J fare, so I don't think I was "outspent". Noticed because usually we are PP and book into C ewr/sfo vv but our account was dry or something. The only people who did appear on the upgrade list were, I believe, employees (as they appeared on all 3 of the waitlists), though none cleared all the way into F IIRC, and that wasn't really my complaint.

Last edited by aCavalierInCoach; Apr 26, 2018 at 9:08 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Looks like a case of they are doing things by the book, but it doesn't make it right. The exact scenario did take place on my flight referenced in my signature: Original flight was sCO 757 from CDG - EWR, which went MX on Christmas eve. They finally brought a rescue plane 2 days later, which was a sUA 767 with 3 cabins. Since the sCO crew could not work on the 767, and there was no one booked in F on the 757, the entire first class cabin was filled with the deadheading crew, leaving business class passengers, which included at least 3 1Ks, in business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.