Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
I know this won't be a popular opinion but I'm okay if the employees get to ride in Polaris First for the remaining time it exists. It was already called "employee class" before this, upgrades were rare unless you wanted to use a GPU on a high enough fare, and intercontinental biz has been pretty full lately so it's harder and harder to get this non-rev benefit.

The fact that United is unwilling to sell the F seat while it remains is no different from how it will be in couple years when they'll be almost nonexistent and won't be able to sell them if they wanted to. They understand that people who really want to pay for F will have to find another carrier, or hope loyalty and an all-aisle access biz will trump that.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
See SFOdelayed's response which mirrored my experience. No F for sale, but I called in ahead of time to try to apply an RPU and they said it was not possible, but I should talk to the folks at EWR. On arrival, they informed me I could not be added to the upgrade list or purchase an upgrade as they were allocated "by management". And no I did not appear on the upgrade list.

Edit: I also went back and checked my email on this. I remember being particularly frustrated because I was booked on a full, absurdly high J fare, so I don't think I was "outspent". Noticed because usually we are PP and book into C ewr/sfo vv but our account was dry or something. The only people who did appear on the upgrade list were, I believe, employees (as they appeared on all 3 of the waitlists), though none cleared all the way into F IIRC, and that wasn't really my complaint.
Exhausted!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
See SFOdelayed's response which mirrored my experience. No F for sale, but I called in ahead of time to try to apply an RPU and they said it was not possible, but I should talk to the folks at EWR. On arrival, they informed me I could not be added to the upgrade list or purchase an upgrade as they were allocated "by management". And no I did not appear on the upgrade list..
I recently traveled paid Z-class SFO-IAD (return), applied RPUs ~2 weeks pre-flight and was upgraded at the gate on the outbound and morning of on the return. On the outbound there were 2 marshals, 1 other GS and 4 1K in the front; on the return there didn't appear to be any marshals up front, it appeared to be all GS.

I was on the upgrade list both times of course, because I used the RPUs.

Last edited by liddy0021; Apr 26, 2018 at 1:39 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
FYI they are clearing upgrades ahead of the gate. I just received notification that my upgrade from biz to first for SFO-CDG on a three cabin PMUA 777-200 just cleared. Ticket was booked last week and travel is for end of May; I applied a GPU so it wasn’t a free op-up.
Can confirm, although it took longer for me. 2 weeks ago, I had a waitlisted instrumental upgrade P->ON 2 clear ~3 days before the flight.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Just to add a datapoint; booked business saver ORD-BRU some time ago. 777-200 both ways, so I waitlisted for O. Both cleared about a month ago. Flew outbound on 24 April. At check-in I was still the only person showing on the seat map in F. At 24 hours the same 9 names appeared on the standby list, business upgrade list and first upgrade list. Obviously non-revs. Some time after that, but before gate control, another seat showed assigned on the seat map. At the gate, there were still 6 seats showing available in F and the same 9 names on the upgrade list. F went out full, so I am thinking there was me and another passenger on either an award or revenue ticket, and 6 non-revs.

As of right now, my seat is the only one in F shown as taken on the seat map for the return flight.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:15 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I had a discussion a few days ago with the GS manager at ORD about this.
I was (and still am) willing to buy an "A" fare for my upcoming ORD-LHR trip. All three flights are not selling F seats.
He told me I could use a GPU. Told him I don't want to use one.
He said if they do use a three-class 767, nobody will be comped an upgrade. So I asked if non-revs will get those seats.
He said most likely yes. Even though I was (and am) willing to buy F? Yes. If the buy-up is still around $800, I would gladly do it. But as you know, the buy-up can change and it could be in the thousands.
I made it very clear that if non-revs go into F and I am stuck in C, I would cancel my ticket at the gate and fly BA or another carrier with an F cabin.
Of course he didn't want to hear that, but he knows me well enough and knows that I would do that.
He said that he would call WHQ and discuss this with people who have decision-making powers with respect to this issue.
I await the answer.
I've had success with yield/revenue management and GS with the carrot and stick approach. Some years back, the round trip fares to HKG from ORD were like $10k in A and $20k in F on both UA and CX. UA was zeroed out in A for pretty much the whole year whereas CX was pretty wide open on every flight. When I pointed out to UA that it was $0 to UA or $10k to CX ($20k to UA wasn't going to fly), they opened up A seats and took the money. I wasn't nasty or snobby about it, I just asked nicely and pointed out that their competition was half the price and they obliged rather than lose the sale.

Who knows, maybe they'll take your money too if you rub it in their face enough. Just takes the right person at WHQ to see the green.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by liddy0021
I recently traveled paid Z-class SFO-IAD (return), applied RPUs ~2 weeks pre-flight and was upgraded at the gate on the outbound and morning of on the return. On the outbound there were 2 marshals, 1 other GS and 4 1K in the front; on the return there didn't appear to be any marshals up front, it appeared to be all GS.

I was on the upgrade list both times of course, because I used the RPUs.
I believe you, I was just commenting on my experience in 2016.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I had a discussion a few days ago with the GS manager at ORD about this.
I was (and still am) willing to buy an "A" fare for my upcoming ORD-LHR trip. All three flights are not selling F seats.
He told me I could use a GPU. Told him I don't want to use one.
He said if they do use a three-class 767, nobody will be comped an upgrade. So I asked if non-revs will get those seats.
He said most likely yes. Even though I was (and am) willing to buy F? Yes. If the buy-up is still around $800, I would gladly do it. But as you know, the buy-up can change and it could be in the thousands.
I made it very clear that if non-revs go into F and I am stuck in C, I would cancel my ticket at the gate and fly BA or another carrier with an F cabin.
Of course he didn't want to hear that, but he knows me well enough and knows that I would do that.
He said that he would call WHQ and discuss this with people who have decision-making powers with respect to this issue.
I await the answer.
Thanks for sharing this experience. What you describe here is exactly what I was concerned would happen. Since my original post I do see some ON class available on routes from US-NRT but would be nice if UA went the extra mile to op-up GS/1Ks and then use those opened biz class to non-revs. Can't imagine it would be that hard.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Thanks for sharing this experience. What you describe here is exactly what I was concerned would happen. Since my original post I do see some ON class available on routes from US-NRT but would be nice if UA went the extra mile to op-up GS/1Ks and then use those opened biz class to non-revs. Can't imagine it would be that hard.
That's exactly what I suggested to the manager with whom I spoke.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA, AS
None of this applies to me but I do have an idea for a temporary solution (until F goes away completely).

Based on what I am hearing UA is still making ON space available but people do not want to waste a GPU on it. I think the thing for UA to do here is to eliminate the copay for C->F upgrades, at least for GS. I doubt most GS members would balk at tossing 30k miles at a guaranteed upgrade versus the price difference to buy F.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I doubt most GS members would balk at tossing 30k miles at a guaranteed upgrade versus the price difference to buy F.
In many cases miles is still a worse deal than just buying up to F used to be. On most of the TATL routes I sell to my GS clients, the fare differential to F was between $300 and $500 each direction for a relatively close-in ticket. I'd rather take that than spend 20k miles for a TATL upgrade (especially at the low end of the range).

It's a bit of a different story for TPAC where there is far less F that is a fare differential off of business though.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
None of this applies to me but I do have an idea for a temporary solution (until F goes away completely).

Based on what I am hearing UA is still making ON space available but people do not want to waste a GPU on it. I think the thing for UA to do here is to eliminate the copay for C->F upgrades, at least for GS. I doubt most GS members would balk at tossing 30k miles at a guaranteed upgrade versus the price difference to buy F.
If I have a cruddy seat in biz on the 2-4-2 pmUA 777 I always throw a GPU at it to try to get into F. I’ve only paid out of pocket once to buy up when it was not an upgradeable fate class.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IMHO

UA Big Mistake #1 - Letting non-revs into GF
UA Big Mistake #2 - Getting rid of of GF
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:03 am

I have it on good authority that automated op-ups will be happening soon.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Ari
pointed out that their competition was half the price and they obliged rather than lose the sale.
Are UA really competition for CX?

I'm personally staggered that people would pick UA F over CX F, particularly at the same pricepoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.