Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by simonoaks
What are the perks of GS over 1K? It seems like a secret club (cue funny handshake lol)
I read in a thread that if a GS wants the Polaris Business seat that I have chosen 6 months ago, the GS can call the UA GS line or talk to the gate agent and complain about not getting his favorite seat. Result: I will be booted out of my chosen seat and I will end up in the middle of the middle four seats in the 772, and in the second cabin too.

I think one of the best perks for the GS is that their upgrades come from a different inventory (PN) so it's easier than getting upgrade from the R inventory.

And they can go in the UA First Clubs (but not the Polaris Lounge unless flying Polaris) but those First Clubs are going to close when there will be no more First Class on UA and Polaris Lounges will open in more airports.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
No change fees or close-in booking fees. You still have to pay the taxes and other similar fees, which can be quite high, especially ex-LHR. IRROPS = IRRegular OPerationS -- weather, mechanical delays, etc. And most airlines charge more for international one-way flights than they do for round-trip tickets, because most of those flights are purchased by business travelers and it's an effective means of price discrimination.

Activate expert mode in your profile on United.com and you'll see those numbers on any non-award search. Note that you get the best numbers by searching one leg at a time -- search PBI-IAH and then search IAH-LIR, for example. Searching all the way through, you'll get the married inventory (useful for pricing changes, but not useful for determining the existing load), and you'll get the least-common-denomintor for R space. So, on PBI-EWR-LHR, if there were confirmable upgrade (R) space on EWR-LHR but not on PBI-EWR, a search from PBI-LHR wouldn't show it but a search from EWR-LHR would.
Been tracking, no change. Is it odd that when I just searched EWR-LHR just now, my seat that I have reserved (17A) is showing as available? Also when I go into manage reservation there are duplicate tabs on the seat screen - i.e PBI - EWR (seat 21A), EWR - LHR (Seat 17A), then another PBI-EWR tab (no seat) and another EWR-LHR (no seat.
At first, when I saw my seat available , I thought the GPU had cleared !! See Screenshot

thx

Last edited by simonoaks; Feb 28, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been tracking, no change. Is it odd that when I just searched EWR-LHR just now, my seat that I have reserved (17A) is showing as available? Also when I go into manage reservation there are duplicate tabs on the seat screen - i.e PBI - EWR (seat 21A), EWR - LHR (Seat 17A), then another PBI-EWR tab (no seat) and another EWR-LHR (no seat.
At first, when I saw my seat available , I thought the GPU had cleared !! See Screenshot

thx
(You might want to remove personal details from the screenshot).

The duplicate tabs are normal -- behind the scenes, each of those flights is in your record twice; confirmed in Y and waitlisted in J. You can't select seats for waitlisted legs, so everything seems normal there.

However, if your seat is showing as available on the EWR-LHR leg when doing a new search, I would definitely go into the change seats screen, select a different seat, and then select my preferred seat again. It may not mean anything, but it can't hurt to try to get UA's systems synced up before somebody else ends up assigned to sit on your lap.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
(You might want to remove personal details from the screenshot).

The duplicate tabs are normal -- behind the scenes, each of those flights is in your record twice; confirmed in Y and waitlisted in J. You can't select seats for waitlisted legs, so everything seems normal there.

However, if your seat is showing as available on the EWR-LHR leg when doing a new search, I would definitely go into the change seats screen, select a different seat, and then select my preferred seat again. It may not mean anything, but it can't hurt to try to get UA's systems synced up before somebody else ends up assigned to sit on your lap.
Ah, makes sense. Thx !
When it clears (and if no email is sent) does it show up as cleared in the manage reservations section, where it currently says 'upgrade requested'?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ah, makes sense. Thx !
When it clears (and if no email is sent) does it show up as cleared in the manage reservations section, where it currently says 'upgrade requested'?
Yes. It would say "United Polaris business (R)" or similar.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

So, just got to airport and noticed there is suddenly no tsa pre on either of my boarding passes - pbi to aus via iah. Never seen that before. Called 1k desk and they said that randomly happens sometimes. What is really odd is that is also missing on the return leg tonight, which is a separate one way reservation, so to me, it now seems not random . She said my KTN ( from my global entry) is in the system etc. Any ideas ? Never had this before. Thx
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
TSA wants to enroll more travelers and gives fewer free pre for frequent travelers with airline status. My TSA Pre percent is still over 50% (see my signature line).
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:42 am

So, just got to airport and noticed there is suddenly no tsa pre on either of my boarding passes - pbi to aus via iah. Never seen that before. Called 1k desk and they said that randomly happens sometimes. What is really odd is that is also missing on the return leg tonight, which is a separate one way reservation, so to me, it now seems not random . She said my KTN ( from my global entry) is in the system etc. Any ideas ? Never had this before. Thx
Maybe you were targeted because they were one way reservations.

In reality this is not a valid reason to be disappointed with 1K. It can happen to Global Services too. It's not in the control of United. The whole process is controlled by the TSA.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Mar 5, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I read in a thread that if a GS wants the Polaris Business seat that I have chosen 6 months ago, the GS can call the UA GS line or talk to the gate agent and complain about not getting his favorite seat. Result: I will be booted out of my chosen seat and I will end up in the middle of the middle four seats in the 772, and in the second cabin too.

I think one of the best perks for the GS is that their upgrades come from a different inventory (PN) so it's easier than getting upgrade from the R inventory.

And they can go in the UA First Clubs (but not the Polaris Lounge unless flying Polaris) but those First Clubs are going to close when there will be no more First Class on UA and Polaris Lounges will open in more airports.
Pretty sure GS members cannot just call UA GS and complain about not getting their favorite seat. It just doesn't work that way.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
TSA wants to enroll more travelers and gives fewer free pre for frequent travelers with airline status. My TSA Pre percent is still over 50% (see my signature line).
I have be KTN via my global entry. Have never not has tsa pre on my previous 200 flights. My work agent said it went over to united ticketing ok, but it is not coming up on boarding pass. United does not know why. ONE flight could be the random thing they do , apparently, but two flights, that does not seem random. Then what, I wait to my ewr flight thursday and see if that boarding pass has it or not ? ......
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:58 am

I have be KTN via my global entry. Have never not has tsa pre on my previous 200 flights. My work agent said it went over to united ticketing ok, but it is not coming up on boarding pass. United does not know why. ONE flight could be the random thing they do , apparently, but two flights, that does not seem random. Then what, I wait to my ewr flight thursday and see if that boarding pass has it or not ? ......
I guess that's what I would do as there's nothing that you can do at this point. Did you check if your Global Entry has expired? It's for 5 years. When did you sign up for it?

Is your flight Thursday also a one-way only or was it booked roundtrip? We can call the process random but there are also some algorithms involved.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: *
If you go into the reservation you may find that your known traveler number is not attached. This is most likely if you booked the flight through a third party and if so you need to go into.the reservation and manually add it or you won't get precheck.

Did you buy your ticket on united.com or elsewhere?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ani90
If you go into the reservation you may find that your known traveler number is not attached. This is most likely if you booked the flight through a third party and if so you need to go into.the reservation and manually add it or you won't get precheck.

Did you buy your ticket on united.com or elsewhere?
this is my guess. We had some 3rd party bulk tickets where the MP#s were attached but it did not pull our KTN#s from the profiles. After manually attaching them TSA pre appeared just fine.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by cfischer
this is my guess. We had some 3rd party bulk tickets where the MP#s were attached but it did not pull our KTN#s from the profiles. After manually attaching them TSA pre appeared just fine.
Indeed I have had situation where I got to airport and realized no TSA pre on my boarding card. I just 'unchecked' in myself and then went to reservation and put in my KTN and then checked myself in again and the TSA pre appeared. If the OP does this, I suspect he or she will be fine.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
Indeed I have had situation where I got to airport and realized no TSA pre on my boarding card. I just 'unchecked' in myself and then went to reservation and put in my KTN and then checked myself in again and the TSA pre appeared. If the OP does this, I suspect he or she will be fine.
Interesting go round but I have been told by the TAs that TSA Precheck is not a guaranteed but a courtesy and that intermittently they will pull your "TSA Pre" status. It happens to me perhaps once a year and given how much I travel I haven't tried your "uncheck/recheck-in" technique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.