Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Not everyone and not limited to global entry. GE. Precheck. DoD KTN, etc. But "officially" you need to have one of these to get pre-check. Gone are the days where you could get it for being a frequent flyer. Yes, they seem often longer (especially when compared to Star Gold lines or Premium cabin lines), but pre-check moves faster as you're not body scanned. I'd wager maybe 50% faster if not more.

I don't understand your next question Rephrase?
Thanks.

I mean people, who are not global entry, have been saying that they get pre check say 80% of the time , is that through the airline status or something, or can you ONLY get pre check by GE or doing the pre check application ? thx
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Not necessarily - I just renewed my Global Entry(thanks Sapphire Reserve) online and it went through with no interview after pending for a week or so. However, I did this before it expired.
Good to know. We'll have to be careful about not letting my wife's expire as she got Global Entry two and a half years before I did.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I added a stop at IAH on a east->west coast reutrn flight for mine. Same-day appointments galore. You won't even have to leave the secure side of the airport. Highly recommend. Takes all of 2 minutes.
Lucky you, not at SFO, last I checked the wait list was months long. However, they get a significant number of no shows and one of my work partners went to the office and just sat there for half a day until there was cancellation/no show and they processed him.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Ah, OK. So everyone in the pre check line has global entry? Is that the only way of getting it? The lines often seem longer than non pre check , so that would be crazy

How are other people on this thread get" x% of time it goes through "?

thx
I have Global Entry, the rest of my family does not. If any one of them fly with me (anecdotally) on any airline, they get TSA pre about 50% of the time.

My son does about 4 solo RTs (usually on SWA) a year and get TSA pre about 4-5/8 flights, apparently at random. YMMV
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I mean people, who are not global entry, have been saying that they get pre check say 80% of the time , is that through the airline status or something, or can you ONLY get pre check by GE or doing the pre check application ? thx
Global Entry is a common method but there are other ways of getting a TTN (Nexus, US military, purchased PreCheck program, ...)
There are various international programs that the CBP has cross-agreements with, such as UK's Registered Traveler
Others without a TTN can get PreCheck access -- travel on PNR of a TTN individual works many times, have been associated with a TTN individual during travel seems to provide occasional PreCheck access, ...

Also those 12 and under or over 75 get PreCheck access

But we are getting fairly off topic here, there is a FT forum -- Trusted Travelers dedicated to these program and on who qualifies.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Thanks.

I mean people, who are not global entry, have been saying that they get pre check say 80% of the time , is that through the airline status or something, or can you ONLY get pre check by GE or doing the pre check application ? thx
So, for examples, my parents and a few friends that do not have airline status get TSA-precheck 100% of the time if I book my reservation (and KTN attached) with theirs. Meaning one PNR. It seems to be a 'loophole' or 'extended benefit' whichever you prefer. You do not have to be related, do not have to share a last name, just one PNR.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

So, just as an FYI, I just got an email x after just 5 days of application, I just saw "approved" for my global entry renewal, which is cool. Does anyone know if 1. i will keep same KTN as before
2. Can I use that previous number , right now
3. How long before the new card arrives

is it common to get a renewal without an interview? Particularly for a non citizen.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My disappointment with 1K is my CPU upgrade 2 minutes after T-96 is that the notification didn't have confetti animation
Saver Award ticket booked two days ago. Upgrade into lie-flat for the redeye. Booyah. Looks like Plats, Golds and their companions and maybe some lucky Silvers will also get the good news w/ (possibly) 10 seats left.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 10, 2018 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My disappointment with 1K is my CPU upgrade 2 minutes after T-96 is that the notification didn't have confetti animation
Saver Award ticket booked two days ago. Upgrade into lie-flat for the redeye. Booyah. Looks like Plats, Golds and their companions and maybe some lucky Silvers will also get the good news w/ (possibly) 10 seats left.
nice !! I did not know you could get CPUs on award tickets, I have never even been added to the upgrade list.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice !! I did not know you could get CPUs on award tickets, I have never even been added to the upgrade list.
You must be the primary cardholder of an eligible United-branded Chase credit card. The Explorer and Club card both qualify.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I was wondering if there would be an UG on my Y leg of a saver award and it shows "Eligible for complimentary upgrade" on the reservation as soon as it was ticketed.

I thought it was because I was 1K, but reading this thread it sounds as if it is due to having a United branded CC, and to think I nearly used my Amex card. Phew!

So keeping with the thread topic, pity 1K does not provide UG benefit on award tickets.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Mar 10, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So, just as an FYI, I just got an email x after just 5 days of application, I just saw "approved" for my global entry renewal, which is cool. Does anyone know if 1. i will keep same KTN as before
2. Can I use that previous number , right now
3. How long before the new card arrives

is it common to get a renewal without an interview? Particularly for a non citizen.
I am also a noncitizen so this is good to know that same procedures seem to apply.

Separately how do you know when GE expires? Is it on the card or do you get an email?

Keeping with the topic, pity 1K benefits no longer include the GE fee.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I was wondering if there would be an UG on my Y leg of a saver award and it shows "Eligible for complimentary upgrade" on the reservation as soon as it was ticketed.

I thought it was because I was 1K, but reading this thread it sounds as if it is due to having a United branded CC, and to think I nearly used my Amex card. Phew!
Yes, it's there because of the Chase/UA credit card and the fact that you have (any level of) Premier status, not solely because you're a 1K. That being said, being 1K does have it's advantage in that your place in the upgrade queue on an award ticket is after all paid 1Ks, but higher than paid Plats.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am also a noncitizen so this is good to know that same procedures seem to apply.

Separately how do you know when GE expires? Is it on the card or do you get an email?

Keeping with the topic, pity 1K benefits no longer include the GE fee.
GE expiration date can be found on the card and can also be found in GOES.

EDIT: GOES is now TTP site. I haven't specifically found the expiration date on there yet. It's a little confusing.

EDIT EDIT: Tried logging into new TTP site. Takes me directly to the 'how to enroll' page.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: TTP site now working. Expiration date shown right here:

Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by onthesam; Mar 10, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
I have an M fare on a flight out of ORD on 03/12. Booked it on 03/06 and yet to clear thru the instant upgrade. They are offering an upgrade for $139- What's the point of offering an instant upgrade if they have no intention of opening the fare class and upgrading others before me?
All GPUs/RPUs applied this year have not cleared. All RPUs/GPUs applied for the last 4 months of 2017 did not clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.