Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Interesting go round but I have been told by the TAs that TSA Precheck is not a guaranteed but a courtesy and that intermittently they will pull your "TSA Pre" status. It happens to me perhaps once a year and given how much I travel I haven't tried your "uncheck/recheck-in" technique.
We're way off topic, but, your statement is spot on. Unless of course being 1K means Precheck should be almost perfect

Precheck is NOT guranteed, no matter if you have GE, Nexus, the best security clearance, etc. It is a courtesy. There are some 'mistakes' that occur that will remove Pre from your reservation/boarding pass and some remedies that one can do to try and fix this, but at the end of the day, you really can't point the finger at UA. Their systems merely submit passenger information to the database and return with a valid Pre or invalid Pre. The reasons (welcome to the government) are very difficult to trace.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by nomad420
Interesting go round but I have been told by the TAs that TSA Precheck is not a guaranteed but a courtesy and that intermittently they will pull your "TSA Pre" status. It happens to me perhaps once a year and given how much I travel I haven't tried your "uncheck/recheck-in" technique.
But have you actually checked that when it has happened to you that your KTN was indeed appended to the reservation? If so what you say is correct. If not, if you append it then you probably will get precheck.

Of course they will claim it is a courtesy as an excuse a way out when the system fails, but then why spend money marketing a courtesy? The way to show it is not guaranteed is to randomly (or in targeted fashion) pick pax for additional screening - which they do from time to time
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
Of course they will claim it is a courtesy as an excuse a way out when the system fails, but then why spend money marketing a courtesy? The way to show it is not guaranteed is to randomly (or in targeted fashion) pick pax for additional screening - which they do from time to time
UA is not claiming it as a courtesy when in reality it isn't. They didn't pull that statement to push liability off themselves. It is a true statement.

As someone who has had to deal with these types of databases in the past, it is a courtesy. Yes, you pay for it. It is still a courtesy only.

Why spend money? Because it reduces lines / wait times in some locations. Passengers (leisure more than business travelers) have a better overall experience when lines are 'balanced' and one isn't disappropriately long. Pre check pushes people out of one line and into another.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
UA is not claiming it as a courtesy when in reality it isn't. They didn't pull that statement to push liability off themselves. It is a true statement.
it may be a true statement but does not necessarily, or indeed likely, explain what happened with the OP. It is though the easiest answer to give.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat.., Lifetime Delta SC, UC, MM
I"m not disappointed with 1K so far this year. Having been downgraded to Plat. because of my frugal spending in the last three years, only a last minute J ticket rush trip to London last fall put me over the PQD since the miles were already there. Yesterday I used two GPUs by asking the 1K agent to get me a short notice trip to London over Easter weekend with W fares although domestic was waitlisted but still got my favorite 21C seats both ways. Saved me lots of time and money. Don't think as plat. I would have received the same treatment. Didn't happen last fall.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
I'm still finding 1K is very worthwhile. Just got an email confirming a GPU for two end Nov SFO-ICN, which was surprising.

Overall I seem to be over 50% success rate for GPU's on intl flights. But you have to have realistic expectations on what will clear - assume success rate on the SFO-SIN is dismal due popularity. I was waitlisted last year for months, figured it wouldn't clear to rebooked and cleared immediately onto the new Polaris SFO-TPE instead.

Certainly on domestic RPU's & GPU's they clear less frequently than previous, but then when they are selling F for a minimal additional outlay it's no surprise.

Other primary benefit for me is an agent I can call who wants to help me get where I'm are going when things go awry - that's worth it's weight in gold. And priority auto rebook on flight canx is great.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by janddouglas
I'm still finding 1K is very worthwhile. Just got an email confirming a GPU for two end Nov SFO-ICN, which was surprising.

Overall I seem to be over 50% success rate for GPU's on intl flights. But you have to have realistic expectations on what will clear - assume success rate on the SFO-SIN is dismal due popularity. I was waitlisted last year for months, figured it wouldn't clear to rebooked and cleared immediately onto the new Polaris SFO-TPE instead.

Certainly on domestic RPU's & GPU's they clear less frequently than previous, but then when they are selling F for a minimal additional outlay it's no surprise.

Other primary benefit for me is an agent I can call who wants to help me get where I'm are going when things go awry - that's worth it's weight in gold. And priority auto rebook on flight canx is great.
Of course YMMV, but the agent issue is one small benefit I do like. Don't get me started on RPU/GPUs, they are almost less than worthless for the business traveler with little to now flexibility. I won't even attempt to use them on TATLs and TPACs anymore. Too many bad experiences where UA hung me out until the last minute and then no clearance and I get stuck in E+ on SFO -SIN and have to work immediately in Singapore. Not gonna happen anymore. I do like the no change and cancellation fees on award tickets as others noted. But would I buy up from Plat for example just to get 1K now......NO.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
You climb to the top of the mountain and reach 1K, only to realize that GSers are on the real mountain.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by PushingTin
You climb to the top of the mountain and reach 1K, only to realize that GSers are on the real mountain.
But aren't GS peep complaining as well? LOL, I'm making GS by June w/ 4 million companion miles
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Key for happiness - low expectations.
kit125 and laxmillenial like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Exactly! My parents don't know anything about airline status, barely fly 2-3 times a year, and are always so surprised when I do the little things to help them out. And when I travel with them, being in E+ and boarding early with plenty of bag space is an absolute joy to them. And the few times an upgrade clears, even better. They expect nothing other than to get to their destination somewhat around the time on the ticket and when they receive more, it makes their day.

The little things folks.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by invisible
I know that works for golf...

I did have a CPU clear last week. It was on a 175 and they didn't cater it for dinner... but it was still nice. That 1A seat is as good as a private jet to me.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made 1K last year for the first time in 6 or 7 years based upon a lot of US-China and China-EU trips on UA and LH last year. The only time I tried to use a SWU since then I paid extra to buy up to W on PVG-GUM-HNL and ended up getting the PVG-GUM upgrade on a hurting 737 and then sat at #1 on the GUM-HNL waitlist while the 3 remaining seats disappeared at check-in (I assume to buyups). I was never offered a buyup which I would have probably paid. I did get a nice free sandwich and a shot of whisky on the GUM-HNL flight whilst crammed in the 3-4-3 economy class so all was not lost. Anyhow, not getting offered the buyup and having to pay the extra for W seemed like a scam to me and I'll just book biz on whatever airline is cheapest or use miles going forward. Thankfully I'm 1MM so I'll keep Star Gold which is the only real value of status on UA for me these days.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Exactly! My parents don't know anything about airline status, barely fly 2-3 times a year, and are always so surprised when I do the little things to help them out. And when I travel with them, being in E+ and boarding early with plenty of bag space is an absolute joy to them. And the few times an upgrade clears, even better. They expect nothing other than to get to their destination somewhat around the time on the ticket and when they receive more, it makes their day.

The little things folks.
Haha the first time we as a group (when I started being travel leader) had a rental from Hertz they couldn’t believe we could just get a text, walk up to the car and drive off. They, and I, remember those 20-45min wait at rental counters when we would go on family vacations.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

The little things folks.
I think most people are like this and just want a fair price, a window or isle seat, and to arrive on time. Unfortunately for those of us that fly 200 flights a year and stay 300 nights in hotels, the travel experience becomes our life. I spend far more time in hotels than at my home and the quality of the hotel/room/bed is hugely important to me. Same with the flight experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.