Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I think most people are like this and just want a fair price, a window or isle seat, and to arrive on time. Unfortunately for those of us that fly 200 flights a year and stay 300 nights in hotels, the travel experience becomes our life. I spend far more time in hotels than at my home and the quality of the hotel/room/bed is hugely important to me. Same with the flight experience.
While no longer that type of "Road Warrior" I still log in more air and hotel time than most and this is absolutely true. Overall I think UA has slipped when it comes to pleasing their business/high use customers. They can deal with it now but when the economy takes another inevitable drop and business travel becomes more important to them things may change. But for now it is what it is.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Pretty sure GS members cannot just call UA GS and complain about not getting their favorite seat. It just doesn't work that way.
Been GS for several years now, and as far as I can tell this is correct. It doesn't work that way at all.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PushingTin
You climb to the top of the mountain and reach 1K, only to realize that GSers are on the real mountain.
We are all chasing something that doesn't exist anymore.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I guess that's what I would do as there's nothing that you can do at this point. Did you check if your Global Entry has expired? It's for 5 years. When did you sign up for it?

Is your flight Thursday also a one-way only or was it booked roundtrip? We can call the process random but there are also some algorithms involved.
Yes, I went to the GE office during layover in IAH and they looked it up. It expired 4 days before I traveled. So I just applied to renew it Does that mean I will not get any pre check now until I renew, or do you also get them through 1K status? My KTN is always attached to the reservation via our company booking org. Would I need to remove that for now (if 1K status gets pre check) , as TSA lady said it was declined due to that KTN being out of date. thx
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonoaks
do you also get them through 1K status?
The TSA ended that pilot program last year. I haven't gotten pre-check in at least a year.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Yes, I went to the GE office during layover in IAH and they looked it up. It expired 4 days before I traveled. So I just applied to renew it Does that mean I will not get any pre check now until I renew, or do you also get them through 1K status? My KTN is always attached to the reservation via our company booking org. Would I need to remove that for now (if 1K status gets pre check) , as TSA lady said it was declined due to that KTN being out of date. thx
You won't get pre-check through your status. Therefore, your statement of "I will not get any pre check now until I renew" is accurate. Unless you're booking a multiple reservation PNR with one of the travelers having a current KTN. Then you usually will get pre-check because you are on the same PNR.

This is not an endorsement, but if you're concnerned about not having pre-check for a while, why not do the free month of Clear
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
We are all chasing something that doesn't exist anymore.
i remember thinking 1K was the top of the mountain—back when it was. Remember the secret “1K website” and photo contest? When I reached it in 2008, there was a big downturn, no fare class restrictions for GPU, upgrades always cleared and there were many promotions like DEQM that provides even more GPU’s and such.

Then along came the US merger followed by the CO merger and constant devaluations and “changes you’re going to like”.

Hitting 1K wound up being the equivalent of “drink more Ovaltine” on my decoder ring.

Xyzzy, nnn and nomad420 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You won't get pre-check through your status. Therefore, your statement of "I will not get any pre check now until I renew" is accurate. Unless you're booking a multiple reservation PNR with one of the travelers having a current KTN. Then you usually will get pre-check because you are on the same PNR.

This is not an endorsement, but if you're concnerned about not having pre-check for a while, why not do the free month of Clear
Ah, OK. So everyone in the pre check line has global entry? Is that the only way of getting it? The lines often seem longer than non pre check , so that would be crazy

How are other people on this thread get" x% of time it goes through "?

thx
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:59 am

Ah, OK. So everyone in the pre check line has global entry? Is that the only way of getting it? The lines often seem longer than non pre check , so that would be crazy

How are other people on this thread get" x% of time it goes through "?

thx
Not everyone and not limited to global entry. GE. Precheck. DoD KTN, etc. But "officially" you need to have one of these to get pre-check. Gone are the days where you could get it for being a frequent flyer. Yes, they seem often longer (especially when compared to Star Gold lines or Premium cabin lines), but pre-check moves faster as you're not body scanned. I'd wager maybe 50% faster if not more.

I don't understand your next question Rephrase?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: United, American
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I fell to Plat this year after an amazing 5 year run as a 1K. Wanna swap??
Yep. Me too. I was 1K for six years and plat for many years prior to that. This is my first year as plat again and I'm in danger of not making plat for next year. I passed up a chance to give United $2k to keep my 1K status for another year but didn't do it. I'll apply parts of that $2k to pay for upgrades to maintain Group 1 boarding then put up with the loss of the United 1K Service Desk which was really the best part of 1K IMHO.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
On one side I'm glad that I was able to pinpoint a possible reason for you not getting TSA Pre but I'm sorry that you will not get it back until you go for the GE interview as I guess that for the renewing you also need the interview. Hopefully, they'll process your application fast and you live in a location with an interview location. When I had the interview I had to drive to the interview location and worrying that I would miss my time slot, I arrived one hour early, so with the roundtrip drive it ended up wasting a full day of work. My wife was smarter. She took advantage of a planned vacation in Washington, DC to set her interview in a Federal building downtown that was three blocks from the museum she was visiting, so only wasted 30 minutes.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
On one side I'm glad that I was able to pinpoint a possible reason for you not getting TSA Pre but I'm sorry that you will not get it back until you go for the GE interview as I guess that for the renewing you also need the interview...
Not necessarily - I just renewed my Global Entry(thanks Sapphire Reserve) online and it went through with no interview after pending for a week or so. However, I did this before it expired.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:40 pm

On one side I'm glad that I was able to pinpoint a possible reason for you not getting TSA Pre but I'm sorry that you will not get it back until you go for the GE interview as I guess that for the renewing you also need the interview. Hopefully, they'll process your application fast and you live in a location with an interview location. When I had the interview I had to drive to the interview location and worrying that I would miss my time slot, I arrived one hour early, so with the roundtrip drive it ended up wasting a full day of work. My wife was smarter. She took advantage of a planned vacation in Washington, DC to set her interview in a Federal building downtown that was three blocks from the museum she was visiting, so only wasted 30 minutes.
I added a stop at IAH on a east->west coast reutrn flight for mine. Same-day appointments galore. You won't even have to leave the secure side of the airport. Highly recommend. Takes all of 2 minutes.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
So, just got to airport and noticed there is suddenly no tsa pre on either of my boarding passes - pbi to aus via iah. Never seen that before. Called 1k desk and they said that randomly happens sometimes. What is really odd is that is also missing on the return leg tonight, which is a separate one way reservation, so to me, it now seems not random . She said my KTN ( from my global entry) is in the system etc. Any ideas ? Never had this before. Thx
It happens occasionally. In my case it is about 1 in 75 flights.

It has nothing to do with booking one ways. I book almost all one ways.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It happens occasionally. In my case it is about 1 in 75 flights.

It has nothing to do with booking one ways. I book almost all one ways.
Simonoaks came back and acknowledged that the Global Entry card had expired. That's why there were boarding passes on 2 days with no TSA PRE. But already reapplied so things will go back to normal if the application is successful. And will go back like all of us to have it happen only from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.