Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA
MIA - EWR today at 3:13 pm, needed 3 seats $450 offered, hotel plus next flight. In my situation, this was tomorrow on AC MIA-YYZ-YOW. There was no availability at 5:00 pm to EWR. Would not increase offer, I declined the $450, agent would not increase offer. 3 volunteers found.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
$450 to stay an extra day in MIA in March is a great offer. Guessing they had no shortage of volunteers.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sorry, read your comment as deciding to buy on that particular flight to increase the chance of VDB (as others have done in the past) -- appears I misread the intent of your post.
Thank you for prejudging me. Weird that when you realized it, you didn't pull your own post.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:38 pm

$10k compensation!!!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:12 pm

Even the passengers seek to be losing all perspective. Is this passenger really complaining about getting a 10k for being bumped ? Seiously??

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginnis/article/United-offers-traveler-10-000-to-get-off-plane-12774724.php
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
Is this passenger really complaining about getting a 10k for being bumped ?
If she's only an occasional flyer, there's little chance she'll fly that much before it expires.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
United hits 10K in denied boarding compensation for one flier

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...e-12774724.php

The first question is if she was really IDB as she claims, or did she VDB for a high offer and then expect to get the IDB compensation?

If she was IDB, why is she complaining when UA is legally mandated to inform her of her right to decline the 10K voucher for the cash/check payment that would be due to her? If she was IDB and she declined the cash/check payment due, what is she actually complaining about here?

An earlier tweet by the woman involved claims she "nabbed the last open seat on the last flight" - is it really plausible that by "nabbing" the last seat on a flight she was the lowest fare paying passenger on the flight? That doesn't make sense to me but maybe more information will come out.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by malgudi
unreal🤗
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you tihnk it means."

I suspect she is confusing terminology because United COULD have IDBed her as the lowest fare passenger and she didn't WANT to get off the plane but she bit when they offfered $10K. United likely decided (after no one bit on any lower offers) to start with offering the max to the person they'd have had to IDB anyway if no one took the VDB offer.

Congrats to her on a payday for a flight she almost didn't get a booking for anyway.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you tihnk it means."

I suspect she is confusing terminology because United COULD have IDBed her as the lowest fare passenger and she didn't WANT to get off the plane but she bit when they offfered $10K. United likely decided (after no one bit on any lower offers) to start with offering the max to the person they'd have had to IDB anyway if no one took the VDB offer.

Congrats to her on a payday for a flight she almost didn't get a booking for anyway.
That would be my thoughts as well. I find it doubtful that she was IDBed on a close in fare to begin with, but if she was, she definitely didn't have to take the 10K voucher.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:05 am

10K travel voucher for a broken seat IDB

That escalated quickly if the account is correct. Sorry I'm too new to post a link. It's on today in the sky on USAToday.com
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

But yes, it did escalate quickly - and regardless of VDB/IDB United policy now (as all of the big three to my understanding) is that once an offer goes up, it goes up for everyone - not just those who volunteer under the new offer. Ex: someone volunteers at a 1k level, then United needs more volunteers so they offer 2k. Everyone who volunteered would be eligible for 2k.
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Mar 24, 2018 at 5:52 am Reason: TOS 18 violation
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
$10k VDB is cheap for a the uncharacteristically positive publicity that it generated. United needed a good news story badly.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
$10k VDB is cheap for a the uncharacteristically positive publicity that it generated. United needed a good news story badly.
A friend text me this story this morning and said "See, the system is still broken! United should have paid her in CASH instead of a worthless voucher, and should have kept raising the amount until someone volunteered. That would have been fair. Also they shouldn't have coerced her into signing something claiming that she was 'volunteering'".

So, you can't please everyone.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by threeoh
A friend text me this story this morning and said "See, the system is still broken! United should have paid her in CASH instead of a worthless voucher, and should have kept raising the amount until someone volunteered. That would have been fair. Also they shouldn't have coerced her into signing something claiming that she was 'volunteering'".

So, you can't please everyone.
As I said above, I do not think she was coerced. I see two options here - she was IDB and she refused the cash payment United was legally obligated to offer her and ensure she understood she could accept either the cash payment due (200% or 400% of fare based on delay length) or the voucher. The other option is she heard a high offer, volunteered to give up her seat, and is now trying to claim that she was IDB in an attempt to make United look bad to get even more money out of her.

There are a lot of “ifs” and peculiarities here - she tweeted the day before that she “nabbed the last seat” - how would the last seat on the plane be the lowest fare on the flight? That does not make sense at all - unless she is making something up here.

If I were her, I’d forget this ever happened and take my few trips or one nice business/first trip to Europe, Asia, etc. and move on - before this comes back to bite her in the rear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.