Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
P.S. I'm also getting points for the VDB hotel (a Doubletree) and miles for the DEN > LAX ticket because they re-booked me in Y (Yes, Y).
You're unlikely to get any miles from UA, even though you're rebooked into Y. The process that credits the flights is going to go back to the underlying ticket, see the 0 fare, and skip credit. You might be able to get retroactive credit from another carrier, although that's hit or miss at best; you're relying on UA not doing its due diligence.

I've had this happen before (only I got rebooked from XN to F) and I didn't earn any credit for the flight -- no RDMs and no PQMs.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 7, 2018 at 8:09 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by uxb
P.S. I'm also getting points for the VDB hotel (a Doubletree) and miles for the DEN > LAX ticket because they re-booked me in Y (Yes, Y).
I'm actually surprised by this, as anytime I have had UA comp me a hotel, I did not receive points for it (Hilton both times) because it was a deep discounted bulk rate that was ineligible for points accrual. I will say, though, that XN rebooked into Y is eligible for instant upgrade if PN is available (for Silver and higher status).... always check on that after a rebooking.

Originally Posted by jsloan
You're unlikely to get any miles from UA, even though you're rebooked into Y. The process that credits the flights is going to go back to the underlying ticket, see the 0 fare, and skip credit. You might be able to get retroactive credit from another carrier, although that's hit or miss at best; you're relying on UA not doing its due diligence.

I've had this happen before (only I get rebooked from XN to F) and I didn't earn any credit for the flight -- no RDMs and no PQMs.
Mrs. Moore had a VDB exactly like this where she was on an XN award ticket and rebooked into Y... did not result in PQM/PQS. Years ago, I heard of cases where this did happen, but not now. The system always reverts back to the original award booking class.

Revenue fare class adjustment is different, and far more difficult to explain because there are many variables in play.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm actually surprised by this, as anytime I have had UA comp me a hotel, I did not receive points for it (Hilton both times) because it was a deep discounted bulk rate that was ineligible for points accrual. I will say, though, that XN rebooked into Y is eligible for instant upgrade if PN is available (for Silver and higher status).... always check on that after a rebooking.

Mrs. Moore had a VDB exactly like this where she was on an XN award ticket and rebooked into Y... did not result in PQM/PQS. Years ago, I heard of cases where this did happen, but not now. The system always reverts back to the original award booking class.

Revenue fare class adjustment is different, and far more difficult to explain because there are many variables in play.
My last hotel accommodation (winter this year) earned me some IHG points, which was handy since I needed some account activity anyway. It wasn't much of a discounted rate, though; around $150 for the night.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

I believe it just looks up the PQD associated with the segment and will refuse to credit if it is 0 (as distinct from ineligible) so that zero-fare won't earn regardless of rbd.

That being said, the credit system is still quite strange. I had a ticket with a segment that got manually reissued directly into PN and was credited as "ZP class" and earned 200% PQM (original coupon was in M).
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
I believe it just looks up the PQD associated with the segment and will refuse to credit if it is 0 (as distinct from ineligible) so that zero-fare won't earn regardless of rbd.

That being said, the credit system is still quite strange. I had a ticket with a segment that got manually reissued directly into PN and was credited as "ZP class" and earned 200% PQM (original coupon was in M).
Had a couple of these during irrops. Another thing I noticed about rebookings into Y class (for revenue tickets during irrops / VDB) is if I do NOT upgrade, I get credited for Y class (150% PQM and 1.5 PQS). If I am upgraded (whether complimentary at the gate or via instant upgrade), I go into PN class and I then get credit for ZK, ZL, or ZX with X being whatever fare class I was originally booked in.

When flying in discount first (P, Z, C, D, A) and irrops / VDB occurs.... I am always rebooked into F class or J class if p.s. flight. If the new itinerary has the same number of segments as the original itinerary, I will receive credit for the original fare class booked. If the number of segments is different, I receive credit for F or J that I am rebooked into.

Lots of real weirdness that happens when VDB / irrops occurs on revenue fares..... and I think what I have described above is probably just scratching the surface...
joe_miami likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Received $4,000 ETC today for VDB EWR-CLT.. thank you weather issues last night ex-EWR! Sounds like a combination of overbooking and a few crews needing to position in positive space to CLT to work outbound flights.
jsloan, Billiken, uxb and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Received $4,000 ETC today for VDB EWR-CLT.. thank you weather issues last night ex-EWR! Sounds like a combination of overbooking and a few crews needing to position in positive space to CLT to work outbound flights.
This takes 2nd place for highest voucher posted in this forum... nice catch. How much later is your protection flight?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Score !!!!!

Congrats
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
This takes 2nd place for highest voucher posted in this forum... nice catch. How much later is your protection flight?
Wow! I didn't realize I was in that caliber but figured it was pretty high the protection flight was 5 hours later (3:45p ET) but with 1K I was at the top of the list and cleared the 1:25, so all in-all about a 3.5 hour delay. If I had stuck with the 3:45 I would have ended up in F it looks like but that was the least of my worries with that amount of ETC.

The best part is that my original 10:05 ended up leaving almost 2 hours late due to MX... so I cannot complain one bit! First time ever agreeing or even volunteering to a VDB, safe to safe I am very happy.

ETA: also received food vouchers so grabbed a decent lunch and got some work done after I missed the 11am standby (also massively oversold).

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
Score !!!!!

Congrats
Thank you! Normally I don't have any flexibility in my plans but this was definitely a right place, right time (and definitely at a price I had to take)
jsloan, uxb, linglingfool and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I don't have any flexibility in my plans but this was definitely a right place, right time (and definitely at a price I had to take)
Or an offer you could not refuse.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Follow-up to the $6k story from the beginning of the thread: they just got back from their second international itinerary of the year, and are off to wine country soon.

The side effect of having seen this was that I recently turned down $1600 from DL to overnight in SLC (on my way to a vacation, no less) because I was holding out for a bunch more. Had I not seen the kinds of ETCs that UA has thrown around, I probably would've accepted that offer a year ago.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Right now I'm booked on UA3555 IND-ORD tomorrow. FLight was booked and shows as operated by an ERJ-175. The seat map and plane type/status show though as a 170. I know that's 6 less seats in F, not sure about Y difference. Was asked at checkin to volunteer. I'm not sure if this is a false data point or what's going on. App says the plane scheduled to operate (as of time of posting) is N636RW, which is a 170.

Thoughts on what's going on? I'm trying to move up to an earlier flight so don't think I'm going to be able to actually find out.

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Thoughts on what's going on? I'm trying to move up to an earlier flight so don't think I'm going to be able to actually find out.
Sounds like an aircraft swap. Most E170s are 6/64 = 70 seats total. There is a 9/60 = 69 seats configuration also.

They may well be oversold, but it's not a huge capacity drop, so it may work itself out.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:53 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN

I have 1880 HH points pending right now. I haven't seen anything posted to UA, but I'm sure it will be another day or two. They don't really post quickly when compared with their peers. As for upgrades, there was no opportunity for me to upgrade because the flight was already completely full. They gave someone $600 to VDB, so I could begin my journey.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uxb
I have 1880 HH points pending right now. I haven't seen anything posted to UA, but I'm sure it will be another day or two. They don't really post quickly when compared with their peers. As for upgrades, there was no opportunity for me to upgrade because the flight was already completely full. They gave someone $600 to VDB, so I could begin my journey.
I'm especially interested in your case to see if you get Y posting.. though with $0 base fare on the original ticket, I'm wondering if the new UA system will automatically populate X/XN for any base fare of $0.... who knows is this could happen in your situation.

I have also seen in the past that my base fare gets screwed up in irrops / rebooking situations, and I have received way more PQD's than originally paid on reservations that get messed up.......

Let us know what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.