Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by BThumme
There's never a need to be part of a stampede though if you present yourself when the GA shows up and make your intentions known.

I just usually say "hey, i saw the flight was pretty full, I wanted to ask if it was looking like you're oversold currently." They either say, "no, we're good/even, or "ummm....we might be" and they take down my info and say to check back later.
When I am asked to volunteer at check-in, I always ask gate agent if they still need volunteers. If affirmative, I ask gate agent to double check if I am on volunteer list.

UA is doing a much better job now with over booking. Last weekend, I went on standby on an oversold flight. Initially I was #1 on the standby list, then I became #2 . Gate agent cleared a total of 4 standbys on this oversold flight.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
When I am asked to volunteer at check-in, I always ask gate agent if they still need volunteers. If affirmative, I ask gate agent to double check if I am on volunteer list.

UA is doing a much better job now with over booking. Last weekend, I went on standby on an oversold flight. Initially I was #1 on the standby list, then I became #2 . Gate agent cleared a total of 4 standbys on this oversold flight.
Correct.... to add to this, the best thing to do when suspecting that a flight is oversold is the following:

1) Check in at the 24 hour mark.
2) If prompted to volunteer (on the app or website... same thing), sign up immediately, as the list priority is based on who gets on the list first... not status).
3) If not prompted to volunteer, this means that the flight is not oversold in the cabin where you are seated..... however... ALWAYS keep checking on the app (on the little folder dropdown menu on the top right of the app, click on the checked-in reservation, click on travel options, and then click on "continue to boarding passes")... if the flight goes into oversale after you check in, it will then prompt you if you want to volunteer. It is typically easy to keep track of this if you have time by checking inventory... and if inventory continues to decrease even when the flight status shows full/full, it is likely oversold, and you can then find the prompt to volunteer.
4) Show up at the gate 1hr15min prior to departure or 1h30m before departure for wide-body, and be the first person in line when the gate agent gets set up and ready to deal with you.

These simple steps will maximize your likelihood of being first in line to volunteer.

If you show up to the gate agent with flight alternatives, that saves them time, and especially if you know of options with connections that would prevent a long stay, that helps them out. They typically don't search those out unless you ask.... this makes life easier for all parties.
jsloan, DELee and diburning like this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm not quite sure where I saw the rest of this discussion, but does anyone know whether there has been a policy change on overbooking premium cabins? I just booked onto SFO-FRA and the flight is still J9 despite all but 8 seats showing "occupied".
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
I'm not quite sure where I saw the rest of this discussion, but does anyone know whether there has been a policy change on overbooking premium cabins? I just booked onto SFO-FRA and the flight is still J9 despite all but 8 seats showing "occupied".
There could be some blocked seats... this happens sometimes.

On a couple routes, I have seen J oversell intentionally.... UA1 is one of those... likely due to the missed connection rate on that flight and others that depart late at night.

Pretty rare to see premium cabins oversold otherwise.... except for the occasional FAM that gets placed up front at the last moment.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jjmoore
There could be some blocked seats... this happens sometimes.
I checked on EF - believe "assigned" always means a real pax in the seat. It's only potentially over by 1 at current inventory, so I buy they're willing to roll the dice on a full J fare to put the cabin 61/60.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I received a phone call at about T-28 last Wednesday for a flight the next day MSP-DEN. I had a P fare first seat. They offered me $250 and connection through Chicago, maintaining my first-class seating. I may have been able to hold out for more, but I took it, and enjoyed the lie-flat seating on a 752 from ORD-DEN on Thursday. In addition to the voucher, I also got booked at an "F" fare on the new itinerary, so my PQM for the trip (300%) almost gets me back to Silver for the year.

This was a pro-active call from United. It was too early for me to have even had an opportunity to volunteer. Interestingly, the agent indicated that I was the first one that answered the phone. She had been trying to call a lot of passengers, but no one was answering their phones.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
This was a pro-active call from United. It was too early for me to have even had an opportunity to volunteer. Interestingly, the agent indicated that I was the first one that answered the phone. She had been trying to call a lot of passengers, but no one was answering their phones.
Was the call from UA late in the evening?

David
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Was the call from UA late in the evening?

David
No, the call was mid-afternoon. But the caller ID just showed an 800 number, rather than UNITED. I think this may be part of the difficulty they have with getting people to answer.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

My call came from the generic UA phone line 800-864-8331 .... this has always been the number they call me from, regardless of the reason.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
My call came from the generic UA phone line 800-864-8331 .... this has always been the number they call me from, regardless of the reason.
This was probably the case, but at other times I have received calls from United where "UNITED" has shown up in my caller ID. This time it didn't.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was on UA1180 this afternoon from EWR-ORD which was overbooked by two (and another 50 or so people on standby due to delays with other flights, but that’s a separate story).

Im absolutely kicking myself because whenever I see both business class and economy class shown as full in the app, I always speak to the gate agent ahead of time to see if there is an opportunity for a voluntary bump. This time I didn’t notice (jet lagged after a long day traveling from ZRH) and the offer was $1,000! By the time I ran from the back of the group 1 line to the podium there were already two volunteers ahead of me and I missed out.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
On Sunday I was trying to standby for a flight DEN-IAH at 11:35am. They asked for volunteers and ended up needing one person. He then made it on to the 12:35pm flight and I cleared standby and sat right next to him. He said that he was given a $500 voucher for taking the one hour later flight. Nice.
jsloan and zeer0 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
On Sunday I was trying to standby for a flight DEN-IAH at 11:35am. They asked for volunteers and ended up needing one person. He then made it on to the 12:35pm flight and I cleared standby and sat right next to him. He said that he was given a $500 voucher for taking the one hour later flight. Nice.
Good offer. My experience is that they start with $100 per hour delay. Did you hear if it started lower and went up to $500 before getting a volunteer?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
Good offer. My experience is that they start with $100 per hour delay. Did you hear if it started lower and went up to $500 before getting a volunteer?
I have seen many times when there are just 1 or 2 people needed from a larger plane... they will start at around $200 regardless of how optimal or disruptive the protection flights are. Many times they will get a couple grabbers at dirt cheap prices like this.

On regional jets or highly oversold flights (like aircraft swaps), they are known to start much higher, and I have witnessed this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:08 pm

Yesterday, flying EWR-MSP-SFO--originally booked on nonstop early morning flight, but had SDC'd to afternoon and only non-directs were available in my fare class. EWR-MSP overbooked - unsure by how many, but about 10 on standby list for ERJ-175. Forgot I'd signed up for VDB at OLCI until gate agent called my name. Ended up on direct EWR-SFO, dep one hour later but arriving SFO one hour earlier than original itinerary, with $500 voucher. E+ middle seat. Due to short time to shuttle from EWR A28 to C terminal, didn't wait around for meal voucher that was part of the package -- as SFO was my final stop, didn't need one anyway.
jsloan and zeer0 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.