Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The changing story of IDB on UA since the merge and post-Dao
source: BTS Data

Code:
IDB/VDB data for UA (w/o UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 8,214 27
 2017 15,917 900
 2016 14,380 929
 2015 17,373 1,817
 2014 21,469 4,395
 2013 14,095 2,592

IDB/VDB data for UA (w/ UX) 1st Qtr
 Year VDB IDB
 2018 16,973 51
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

nicely executed! Now you have to think how to utilize that ECERT
$1500 is good for 3 r.t. tickets to PEK / HKG / SIN ... I could rack up a ton of lifetime miles (and visit some cool places as well!) with that certificate!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

nicely executed! Now you have to think how to utilize that ECERT

I have 3k In ecerts now plus a $200 united vacations credit now since December. This is the first time ever getting more then 500. I was expecting some pushback for the (originally 1k) when I suggested the nonstop, since it got me in earlier, but they wasted no time.

the flight also left an hour late due to maintenace. The upgrade list showed only one given - my seat - so I don’t think they got any other takers to give up their seat. I would have missed my connection to DTW.

i have a 3 month rotation in Mexico about to start so this will help get me home a couple weekends.
Flying Machine and jjmoore like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Jan 19, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
Suppressed Overbooking

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I am now 10 months without a VDB .... and have flown more miles in that 10 month period than any other.... ever.
I can't remember the last time I got a VDB!

They drastically suppressed overbookings right after Dao and I don't think they've lifted the throttle unfortunately.

I've got an upcoming flight that's full in F and Y (UA1593 EWR-SAN 26JAN). Only selling 1 seat. Fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by sexykitten7

They drastically suppressed overbookings right after Dao and I don't think they've lifted the throttle unfortunately.

I've got an upcoming flight that's full in F and Y (UA1593 EWR-SAN 26JAN). Only selling 1 seat. Fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up!
That's what I feel has happened as well.... all the while, the DL forum is replete with VDB's.... not sure how long UA can hold out, as they are likely losing revenue to a much higher level than what they lost with Dao's settlement by not executing their statistical models into practice.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

It has been years for me now too. I miss those $250 - $350 certificates!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It has been years for me now too. I miss those $250 - $350 certificates!
April 2016 was like a cliff. I would typically get 10 VDB's a year, and had already scored a couple in early 2016.... then after the "incident"...... nothing..... and I really mean nothing (not even an opportunity). I have seen more of the flights I'm on go with empty seats (even after being full/full at t=24hr)... then standbys clear and empty seats remain. It's a different world out there now in the VDB world..
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:22 pm

That's what I feel has happened as well....
It's not a feeling. I have a friend in RM :O
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

It's not a feeling. I have a friend in RM :O
Unfortunate ....

Maybe I should fly a few DL segments this year to try to pick up some of those amex card payouts that I can then swing back to UA to spend .....
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
April 2016 was like a cliff. I would typically get 10 VDB's a year, and had already scored a couple in early 2016.... then after the "incident"...... nothing..... and I really mean nothing (not even an opportunity). I have seen more of the flights I'm on go with empty seats (even after being full/full at t=24hr)... then standbys clear and empty seats remain. It's a different world out there now in the VDB world..
I had two Flights in the last few weeks that were seeking volunteers at Check in,only to leave with empty seats and clearing standbys
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:35 pm

Friday’s ewr to HKG had oversold business. They started with $2000 ecert and a seat in economy. Then they offered a $5k cert and fly the next day. Then $8k and economy.

offered 4K cash and business next day they said no. So I took my seat. 2 year ecert always ends up being more trouble than worth.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jp12687
Friday’s ewr to HKG had oversold business. They started with $2000 ecert and a seat in economy. Then they offered a $5k cert and fly the next day. Then $8k and economy.

offered 4K cash and business next day they said no. So I took my seat. 2 year ecert always ends up being more trouble than worth.
I would have taken the $8K and have them book me next day (with hotel) and they probably would have booked you in W or higher and you could have used a GPU (or buy up) if you had one.. That's a great score (obviously you didn't think the same)..
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:49 am

I would have taken the $8K and have them book me next day (with hotel) and they probably would have booked you in W or higher and you could have used a GPU (or buy up) if you had one.. That's a great score (obviously you didn't think the same)..
my vacation for this next year is already booked-- to use $8k in vouchers needs some planning/time off. Not to mention i read somewhere typically these things dont work on *A partners.

Just didnt seem worth it to me for the hassle of the ecerts. Not sure if someone eventually took the deal or if it IDB'ed

If e-certs were good for 2 year i woudl take them more.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:13 am

No Cash for VDB?

offered 4K cash and business next day they said no.
I don't think they ever give cash for VDB (and occasionally they don't even for IDB). Especially since IDB comp is often a pittance. 4k cash would be roughly equivalent to 16k+ ETC!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

$5k and fly the next day? In a heatbeat if at all possible based on trip schedule.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If e-certs were good for 2 year i woudl take them more.
They essentially are. You have one year to buy ticket(s), which can then be used for up to one year from their issue date. If you're not ready to commit to a specific route after one year, you can buy an unrestricted (flexible) ticket and then change it when your plans firm.

Also, they can be used for travel by anyone (on UA/UAX), so you could have had an entire year's worth of gift giving taken care of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.