Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:38 am

The UA site shows me awards on White Airways for LIS-VLC, but after selecting the flight it says availability changed. I tried random dates, either as a single segment or a connections, and it always gives an error.

Has anyone been able to ticket an award on White Airways? Does it just not work at all? Thanks.

Last edited by rrgg; Nov 30, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:50 am

Anyone can help? I have a flight AD8901 (and AD 8900) etix issued by AD (code 577) but the flight itself is operated by Agile Azul. Does it count against PQM miles? (I am Europe based so no PQD in my case).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by man4business
Anyone can help? I have a flight AD8901 (and AD 8900) etix issued by AD (code 577) but the flight itself is operated by Agile Azul. Does it count against PQM miles? ....
For *A (Star Alliance ) and UA, the flight operator needs to be *A to qualify for PQMs. *A codeshare is not sufficient.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: mileage plus
Post Exception to PQD: PO BOX outside US 50 States

Does anyone know if can use a mailing address outside of the 50 U.S. States, am I exempt from the PQD requirement for 1K status? For example Puerto Rico, etc.

Other question is, its now 12/1/18 if I change my mailing address and move outside of the 50 states, will I qualify for exempt PQD for this calendar year 2018 or will it not be in effect until 2019?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, flyturkeyfly!

Originally Posted by flyturkeyfly
Does anyone know if can use a mailing address outside of the 50 U.S. States, am I exempt from the PQD requirement for 1K status?
You have to be able to prove residency. Based on the kinds of things they look for, like a driver's license or utility bills, P.O. Box probably won't cut it.

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Where would I find the details on rules for traveing on an award ticket that has a leg missed due to mechanical issues and interlining. I was on a award flight and missed a connection due to plane issues. The gate agent booked me on an AA flight. Got to the gate and United hadnt “paid” for the ticket. AA did some calling and they said since I was on an award ticket UAL wouldn’t Interline me. I found the code
of carriage dealing with code share but this isn’t a code share agreement. All my google searches deal with interlining luggage and which airlines Interline.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kklems
Where would I find the details on rules for traveing on an award ticket that has a leg missed due to mechanical issues and interlining. I was on a award flight and missed a connection due to plane issues. The gate agent booked me on an AA flight. Got to the gate and United hadnt “paid” for the ticket. AA did some calling and they said since I was on an award ticket UAL wouldn’t Interline me. I found the code
of carriage dealing with code share but this isn’t a code share agreement. All my google searches deal with interlining luggage and which airlines Interline.
I'm not aware of any documented source. UA can absolutely put you on another airline on an award ticket, including a non-*A airline. (I've had it happen myself). From the details you provided, it sounds like UA failed to push the ticket across correctly, and then the AA agent, in trying to get it fixed, managed to find someone who wasn't in the mood to help. It's not uncommon for UA employees to make up policies that don't actually exist.

What information are you looking for? Were you able to get to your destination?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Where would I find the details on rules for traveing on an award ticket that has a leg missed due to mechanical issues and interlining.
I agree with jsloan. UA was obligated to rebook you. So the gate agent appropriately rebooked you on AA, but likely failed to properly push the ticket. From there, you were lied to, because an award ticket can absolute be pushed to another airline.

If you're interested in applicable rules, the relevant provision is UA's Contract of Carriage, Rule 24(E)(2):
Delay, Misconnection or Cancellation
  1. When a Passenger’s ticket is affected because of Irregular Operations caused by UA, UA will take the following measures:
    1. Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger; or
    2. At its sole discretion, UA may arrange for the passenger to travel on another carrier. United may also, at its sole discretion, and if acceptable to the passenger, arrange for the passenger to travel via ground transportation.
The fact you were on an award ticket makes no difference.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
The AA agent did say the money wasn’t pushed over by United but when they called they were told UA wasn’t going to Interline because we were on a award ticket. I didnt think that was true but the plane was boarding and I couldn’t get back to the UA service counter in time. (Ord we landed t1b23 and AA was t3 l6a). Called and was on hold and it didn’t appear to
be enough time to get it done before boarding closed so I had them rebook me on the 1st flight in am before the flight sold out. I am still
sitting on the tarmac of that rebooked flight with a hour plus maintainence delay. I will send a letter when I get home. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some obscure rule about economy saver awards not being eligible for Interline due to missed connections due to the airlines fault. Also 2 different gentleman that were flying the same fights did get on the AA flight but they were not on an award fare so it seemed plausible.

Lovely plane was fixed and now they found out they overloaded the plane with fuel and have to unload 1000 gallons.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will send a letter when I get home. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some obscure rule about economy saver awards not being eligible for Interline due to missed connections due to the airlines fault.
There is not, and yes, you should definitely write in and express your displeasure. The agent made up a policy to keep from having to help you.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booking Codes of published fares?

When I look at UA published fares on EF, the booking codes listed seem to bear no resemblence to reality. The letters don't even match up to things in the same cabin. What's going on? Is there a mapping somewhere?

I'm mostly interested in knowing which published fares will book into P vs which will book into Z, since there is a significant difference in PQM earning and the Z fare is often not much more than the P fare. But, more generally, I'm just curious to know what's going on.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
When I look at UA published fares on EF, the booking codes listed seem to bear no resemblence to reality. The letters don't even match up to things in the same cabin. What's going on? Is there a mapping somewhere?
Click the little "C" at the right end of the row for the fare in the ExpertFlyer display.

Nearly all North American first class fares are sold on a differential basis from an underlying economy fare, so they tend to start with the letter of that target fare. It's done this way for inventory purposes -- you need inventory in both the economy bucket and the first class bucket in order to buy the fare. That's how they're able to publish inexpensive first class seats when the Y seat is cheap and more expensive first class seats when the Y fare is expensive, even without a change in J inventory.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I'm mostly interested in knowing which published fares will book into P vs which will book into Z, since there is a significant difference in PQM earning and the Z fare is often not much more than the P fare. But, more generally, I'm just curious to know what's going on.
I think you're getting a little bit confused between the fare basis and the booking code. You can see the rbd (booking code) information for a fare in EF by clicking on the bold "C" at the far right of the table. For example, TAK4DQFN is a domestic First fare with a booking code of P, which also requires T inventory:

Code:
>$LB238                                                        
238 SFOWAS 01DEC18 UA USD  564.00 TAK4DQFN STAY---/-- BK-P     
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
TAK4DQFN  FIRST CLASS SELL-UP OW NON-REF FARES      P          
TAK4DQFN  APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES                            
TAK4DQFN  FOR ADULT                                            

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA UA  T/P   PERMITTED P   WHEN T AVAILABLE  AND           
           T     PERMITTED                                     
   VIA UA  T/P   PERMITTED P   WHEN T AVAILABLE                
   VIA UA                      NO BOOKING CODE DATA EXISTS
As a general rule, for differentially published domestic premium fares, those with an underlying Economy fare of G-T will book into P; S-V into Z; Q-U into D; and E-Y into C.

Does that help?
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! This is useful information which also answers another question I had (about what a "fare basis for a differential" was)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
Hi, hope someone can help me with a question.

I have a Lufthansa flight SFO-AMS i Biz class P. On the United lounge site it says that I can acces the Polaris Lounge when: "A boarding pass for travel in long-haul international business class on a Star Alliance member airline", but: "Access is not allowed for customers with discounted industry, airline or staff travel tickets, unless specifically stated". What is meant by "discounted airline ticket"? Is it only full fare biz (C/J?) there gain acces, and not my P class?

Thanx in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.