Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: United
United/Air New Zealand Premium Economy

Hi guys, first post here, let me know if I need to ask somewhere else.

I travel to New Zealand regularly from Houston for work and I'm allowed to book Premium Economy class. I am already at 1K status with United this year, so I have been booking my flights on Air New Zealand's website so I can book Premium Economy. I don't earn PQDs with these flights because I book on Air New Zealand, and so next year I'm not sure how I can hit status without booking through United's website. Currently, I don't think I can book Premium Economy on United's website. I have tried calling ANZ after I booked a flight on United's website, and they aren't able to upgrade United booked tickets to Premium Economy.

Anyone have familiarity with this situation? Any loop holes I'm missing?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, dubsheep!

Originally Posted by dubsheep
Any loop holes I'm missing?
Have you tried calling? They can sometimes book things over the phone that you can't do online.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dubsheep
....I travel to New Zealand regularly from Houston for work and I'm allowed to book Premium Economy class. I am already at 1K status with United this year, so I have been booking my flights on Air New Zealand's website so I can book Premium Economy. I don't earn PQDs with these flights because I book on Air New Zealand, and so next year I'm not sure how I can hit status without booking through United's website. Currently, I don't think I can book Premium Economy on United's website. ....
You are correct you can not book NZ Premium Economy on the website today. That is likely to change once UA starts formally offering its Premium Plus / Premium Economy in 2019Q1.

In the meantime you can try booking with a UA phone agent and specifying the NZ fare class -- but NZ may be blocking UA from the cheapest fare classes.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: United
I will try calling, when I called last time I had already booked the flight. So I might be able to have them book the correct class. Hopefully Q1 they add the option on the website. It's frustrating because my coworkers who fly Delta and American to New Zealand are able to book on their respective websites. And I lose LOADS of miles by not being able to book on United. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
NZ does not permit the off-plating of their fares, so calling will not help unfortunately. You should be able to book the UA codeshare fairly soon once they are selling own-metal PE. In the mean time, given your travel load it sounds like you can manage a few more zero-PQD segments. Also consider watching SFO-AKL for R PZ space and flying UA with a GPU (if reasonable for you).
Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Just booked a multi-city itinerary through my employer's travel site (TripActions), and am noticing a few weird things.

The ORD-BOS leg is an M fare, and the BOS-SFO leg is a K fare. Both legs are on the same PNR, and United.com shows Ticketed and Confirmed.

When I click the "View ticket receipt" on the My Trips page, the receipt only shows the details from the ORD-BOS leg. There is no mention of my BOS-SFO leg at all. The ticket price, PQM's, etc are all specific to the outbound leg. Furthermore, on the Trip Details page, the miles earned, PQM, PQD and PDS all show "--". The Trip Details page does show both legs and I have selected seats for both of them. I called the 1K desk and the representative confirmed that everything looks good on their end....

Is this just an IT glitch or should I be concerned about the return?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Just booked a multi-city itinerary through my employer's travel site (TripActions), and am noticing a few weird things.

The ORD-BOS leg is an M fare, and the BOS-SFO leg is a K fare. Both legs are on the same PNR, and United.com shows Ticketed and Confirmed.

When I click the "View ticket receipt" on the My Trips page, the receipt only shows the details from the ORD-BOS leg. There is no mention of my BOS-SFO leg at all. The ticket price, PQM's, etc are all specific to the outbound leg. Furthermore, on the Trip Details page, the miles earned, PQM, PQD and PDS all show "--". The Trip Details page does show both legs and I have selected seats for both of them. I called the 1K desk and the representative confirmed that everything looks good on their end....

Is this just an IT glitch or should I be concerned about the return?
It is an odd glitch, but I wouldn't be too worried.

The return of 'view ticket receipt' is static from the first ticket issuance, so it just means there was a glitch at some point, but it doesn't mean that anything is wrong now.

For peace of mind, I might call and ask to have the receipt re-emailed. (Of course, in my experience, half the time that email never comes, but that's another question.)
SFOrunner likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:12 am

Apologies because I know this is a simple question but I'm not sure where to find the answer. For the first time I have qualified for Premier Silver. In my account it says "Congratulations, you’ve already qualified for Premier Silver level for 2019. And keep flying to reach Premier Gold for 2019." It shows that I need to fly 24,000 miles for Premier Gold. I am understanding correctly that I can fly those 24,000 anytime between now and the end of 2019 to reach gold? Or do I need to fly them by the end of this year? Thanks for helping a United newbie out.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giblet
Apologies because I know this is a simple question but I'm not sure where to find the answer. For the first time I have qualified for Premier Silver. In my account it says "Congratulations, you’ve already qualified for Premier Silver level for 2019. And keep flying to reach Premier Gold for 2019." It shows that I need to fly 24,000 miles for Premier Gold. I am understanding correctly that I can fly those 24,000 anytime between now and the end of 2019 to reach gold? Or do I need to fly them by the end of this year? Thanks for helping a United newbie out.
It has to be end of this year. Your 2018-flying qualified status from flying this year counts through 31-Jan-2020, but you'll start over at 0 on 1-Jan-2019 (for achieving status extending to 31-Jan-2021).

Enjoy the new status!

Last edited by fumje; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:36 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Enjoy the new status!
Thanks! That makes more sense. Hoping I can get to Gold next year.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gold is much better than Silver. Here's to it.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:02 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Gold is much better than Silver. Here's to it.
Silver isn't useless by any means, but unless you fly on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day, don't expect those complimentary upgrades

For those of us who don't even aspire for GS, Gold and 1K are the sweet spots, especially if you fly Int'l.

These days, I don't even aspire for 1K anymore, though I appreciated GS / 1K preboarding on my handful of flights this year.

Sadly the goalpost has been moved even further back with increased PQD starting January 1. Suppose that should increase value of 1K, methinks Gold not so much (but still way more valuable than Silver) @:-)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Silver isn't useless by any means, but unless you fly on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day, don't expect those complimentary upgrades
The last few flights I have been on have had quite a few empty economy plus seats, so I assume those would be available for upgrade? Anyway, getting to silver was sort of accidental, but I will probably be flying LHR-EWR regularly, and I would appreciate the extra baggage allowance because I love hauling things back and forth.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:31 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
The last few flights I have been on have had quite a few empty economy plus seats, so I assume those would be available for upgrade? Anyway, getting to silver was sort of accidental, but I will probably be flying LHR-EWR regularly, and I would appreciate the extra baggage allowance because I love hauling things back and forth.
As Silver you can select within 24 hours of the flight, i.e. at checkin and later. While not considered an upgrade, you do get a few extra inches for your legs and an extra inch of recline.

If you will fly a few trips to LHR, you may well qualify for Gold - one benefit I really like is access to United Club on Int'l trips
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:56 pm

One more question regarding silver/gold. If my Thursday's flight push me over the gold, when I will get gold status on UA web site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.