Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CrazyFoool
Does united ever promote similar "sales" like DELTA has every year where roundtrip flights only cost 98k points for business class?
Unfamiliar with Delta's promo or what route that is but UA will occasionally have award promo's for different regions of the world
Hawaii, Europe, Australia, ....
But nothing on a regularly scheduled basis.

Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Does united ever promote similar "sales" like DELTA has every year where roundtrip flights only cost 98k points for business class?
There are usually one or two sales each year for Economy awards.. Business is much less common.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not really. But unlike DL, UA offers roundtrip business awards for less than half a million points year round.
jsloan, EmailKid, findark and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:59 pm

Question: is it possible to pay for United Club membership with an incidentals fee, say from the Amex Plat? Just thinking of the cheapest way to get United Club. Otherwise the Club card looks like an option.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lumsey
Question: is it possible to pay for United Club membership with an incidentals fee, say from the Amex Plat? Just thinking of the cheapest way to get United Club. Otherwise the Club card looks like an option.
Yes, that should be reimbursed by Amex. Thanks for the reminder, I think I still have credit left on my Aspire.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: UAL Mileage Plus, IHG
PQM Miles Purchased with Accelerator as part of itinerary

I just purchased a flight and opted for the additional Award Miles and Premier Qualifying Miles accelerator option as part of the itinerary. If I want to cancel the itinerary (within 24 hours of purchase), will the additional PQM still post to my account? Do I need to fly in order to also earn the accelerator PQMs? I'm trying to earn a few PQMs without actually flying.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, wrvonengel

Originally Posted by wrvonengel
I just purchased a flight and opted for the additional Award Miles and Premier Qualifying Miles accelerator option as part of the itinerary. If I want to cancel the itinerary (within 24 hours of purchase), will the additional PQM still post to my account?
Yes

Originally Posted by wrvonengel
Do I need to fly in order to also earn the accelerator PQMs? ...
No

You will find more about this in Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
and particularly in the thread's wiki.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UAL Mileage Plus, IHG
Thank you for the information - very helpful, spot-on!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:01 am

Possibly better to ask on AC forum, but...

I know that, if I book a flight on AC and use my MileagePlus number I get *A Gold benefits (I'm 1K). However, is there a way to get *A Gold benefits if I use my AP number (I've got no status with them anymore)? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd check.

It's a tiny number of miles/points so makes no difference, but using AP number keeps it active (though since AP is closing and I don't have many points there anymore, probably a moot point).
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You will not have *G benefits when traveling on *A flights using your AC FF. However, you can still visit the lounge (e.g. MLL) by providing your 1K card at the entrance. The rep will ask you if you want to replace your AC FF with your UA FF, just tell them no.

Here are some ways to prevent Aeroplan miles from expiring: https://onemileatatime.com/aeroplan-miles-expiring/
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
During the winter storms last week I was flying ORD-IAD-CMH and managed to get to the airport earlier than expected. An agent in the ORD UC was able to get me on standby for an earlier flight to IAD and said she would get me on standby on the earlier flight from IAD to CMH as well. Standby to IAD was fine (and I made it!) but when I got to IAD the United app wasn't showing me on standby for the earlier CMH flight. I asked at the UC and they said I was on the standby list for the flight to CMH, but when I checked the flight status page on the app it was showing as "You are on the waitlist." or something similar. When I got to the gate I still wasn't on the standby list. When I checked with the with GA, he said I had two PNRs (no clue what this means) and that I couldn't be on the standby list because I already had a confirmed seat on the later CMH flight (my original flight) but if there was still room after the standby passengers then I could get on. I never showed up on standby list for the earlier CMH flight but eventually after the final two people on the standby list didn't show up, a different GA asked if anyone else wanted on the flight (didn't call any names from the waitlist) so he printed me a BP and let me on.

So my two questions are:
What does it mean to have two PNRs?
What's the different between waitlist and standby? Is there a way to make sure I get on the standby list instead of the waitlist?

Sorry if these are silly questions. My United app started going crazy at IAD (showing different departure and arrival cities, my electronic BP disappeared, etc.) so I'm still a little confused as to what all was going on.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:45 pm

I noticed that the digital premier card in the United app says that it expires 1/2019 (I just gained status for the first time and it was reflected in my account today). I assume that come 1/2019 that it will change to 12/2019? Or is that not correct.

Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bman1002
I noticed that the digital premier card in the United app says that it expires 1/2019 (I just gained status for the first time and it was reflected in my account today). I assume that come 1/2019 that it will change to 12/2019?
It will change to 01/2020 early next year. They always give a one-month "grace period".
bman1002 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ebola 4
Now they appear orange, but when I confirm selection, my seat stays the same in normal J cabin. .
Yes, even if you aren't 1K/GS, the seats will be orange, but the seat selection will not go through. I think it's a poor design, especially since in the first few days they actually had them greyed out (as squares).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:59 am

I have 1042 United MileagePlus-miles and I will soon be flying United (Liberia-Houston-Chicago). Can I spend my miles on something (chocolate bar perhaps?) on board any of my flights ? Do I need to pre-order? Does my United frequent flyer card number need to be in the booking? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.