Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Indeed not. :-)

You will get one free bag. Award tickets are considered Classic fares, no matter what the Swiss website is telling you. I have booked an LX Y award and had no problem checking luggage.
That's what I figured. Thanks!
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:13 pm

I just made Gold today, and checked in for tomorrow's flight about an hour after the status showed up on my account. My boarding passes both said Premeir Gold / UA*S and had Group 2. However, I was 1/8 on the upgrade list on a G fare, and the upgrade cleared about an hour after check-in (so it appears that the upgrade list is treating me as a Gold).

Is there anything I can do to get Group 1 and *G on the boarding pass? Only reason I care is that I'm connecting in IAD and would like to check out the TK lounge. If the agents un-check, then re-check me in, will I risk losing my upgrade?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by usflyer16
I just made Gold today, and checked in for tomorrow's flight about an hour after the status showed up on my account. My boarding passes both said Premeir Gold / UA*S and had Group 2. However, I was 1/8 on the upgrade list on a G fare, and the upgrade cleared about an hour after check-in (so it appears that the upgrade list is treating me as a Gold).

Is there anything I can do to get Group 1 and *G on the boarding pass? Only reason I care is that I'm connecting in IAD and would like to check out the TK lounge. If the agents un-check, then re-check me in, will I risk losing my upgrade?
No that is not an issue. If you look at your new BP, you should be BG1 if upgraded.

Congrats on the upgrade on first flight as UA Premier Gold
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No that is not an issue. If you look at your new BP, you should be BG1 if upgraded.

Thanks! And perhaps I should have clarified - the boarding pass shows group 1 on the upgraded segment, but group 2 on the non-upgraded segment. Not a big deal boarding in group 2 on one more segment, but I was more concerned about if I'll have trouble entering *G lounges with a boarding pass that says *S though.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! And perhaps I should have clarified - the boarding pass shows group 1 on the upgraded segment, but group 2 on the non-upgraded segment. Not a big deal boarding in group 2 on one more segment, but I was more concerned about if I'll have trouble entering *G lounges with a boarding pass that says *S though.
Do you have the United app? Does it show your status properly on the virtual MileagePlus card?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When a family member of mine first made UA Gold status near the end of one year, it was many months into the next year before the boarding passes printed consistently with 'Premier Gold, UA*G'—instead, for several months it would more often than not give 'Premier Gold, UA*S' as you describe. It's somewhat baffling that the *S printed for so long, and especially that it toggled back and forth.

However, as far as I know, there were no cases when the *G status was not appropriately recognised by a lounge. As a backup, though, you may wish to have the in-app card handy. It should display the *G status correctly.

edit add: Just saw your second message, which says you are being assigned Group 2 when not upgraded. That suggests you may have trouble — best of luck.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:41 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Yes, congrats, but do NOT get used to those CPU upgrades as a Gold.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
If SQ allows this on award tickets, then you will be able to get your UA benefits.
Yep that worked. I had the SQ add my Mileage plus # and asked for my PNR #. Then I when on UA website under trips and added PNR for the confirmation #. Then it appeared in the UA app and elite benefits worked.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Yep that worked. I had the SQ add my Mileage plus # and asked for my PNR #. Then I when on UA website under trips and added PNR for the confirmation #. Then it appeared in the UA app and elite benefits worked.
An an elite and cardholder, is there a way to force "X" fare class over "XN"? I am booking short-haul for myself, another family member might join if circumstances permit. I'm concerned about depleting XN availability as X is more commonly used.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
An an elite and cardholder, is there a way to force "X" fare class over "XN"? I am booking short-haul for myself, another family member might join if circumstances permit. I'm concerned about depleting XN availability as X is more commonly used.
That's not how that works. If you book a ticket in any Economy fare class, one seat will be removed from all inventory classes (but note that anything with '9' in Expert Mode may have more than 9 at the present time).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
You may wish to consider booking two tickets and just cancelling one if not needed.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am trying to fly to Perth (PER), Australia and on UA.com is only bringing up connections through SYD or MEL with QANTAS which is not *A. TG/NZ/SQ which are *A carriers and fly to PER do not show as options. Do I need to book through calling or is it just not possible to book an 016 ticket. Previously this has not been an issue as I would book OAL but with the $15k spend requirement (in 2019 for 2020 1K) seeing if I can do my spend with UA but UA do not make it easy. I have no desire to fly QANTAS.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
UA.com is only bringing up connections through SYD or MEL with QANTAS which is not *A. TG/NZ/SQ which are *A carriers and fly to PER do not show as options. Do I need to book through calling or is it just not possible to book an 016 ticket.
Can you find the flights on Google Flights and then click through to book on united.com?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
TG/NZ/SQ which are *A carriers and fly to PER do not show as options.
UA can't sell lower than a Y or C fare on TG or SQ. Not sure about NZ, but that's a pretty awkward routing.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I am trying to fly to Perth (PER), Australia and on UA.com is only bringing up connections through SYD or MEL with QANTAS which is not *A. TG/NZ/SQ which are *A carriers and fly to PER do not show as options. Do I need to book through calling or is it just not possible to book an 016 ticket. Previously this has not been an issue as I would book OAL but with the $15k spend requirement (in 2019 for 2020 1K) seeing if I can do my spend with UA but UA do not make it easy. I have no desire to fly QANTAS.
You're pretty restricted on the UA fare:

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   VLXTOUMB       V‡X  1076.00     ----      -/‡  -/  - PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SAN TO-PER    CXR-UA    TVL-09DEC18  RULE-PW1R IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-VLXTOUMB          SPECIAL FARE  DIS-N   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-SAP      OW-ADVANCE PURCHASE
USD  1076.00  CONS  E19AUG18 D-INFINITY   FC-VLXTOUMB  FN-     
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 18AUG18/1110  EXPIRES INFINITY

**** CONSTRUCTED ROUTING SAN-PER/UA      EF-19AUG18 DIS-INDEF
**PUBLISHED  SAN-SYD   TPRG/3    PUBLISHED ROUTING 0551
**ADDON DST      PER   TPRG/3    PUBLISHED ROUTING 0551

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
 1. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-SYD-UA/QF/JQ-BNE-UA/QF/JQ-PER
 2. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-SYD-UA/QF-MEL-UA/QF/JQ-PER
 3. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-SYD-UA/QF/JQ-PER
 4. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-AKL-UA/NZ-PER
...but...

Code:
   AND
   IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN NEW
   ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA
       THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA.
TG and NZ do not permit off-plating of their fares. I tried to get creative with other *A airlines, but e.g. NH requires SAN-SFO-TYO-SYD-PER. I think you're stuck on this one unless someone can get them to fix the rules to allow AKL-PER.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.