Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Originally Posted by threeoh
If you were booking an award ticket, there would be more saver availability with her account (with attached Explorer card). But if you're doing paid tickets, I don't think it matters.
Thank you for the detailed info. I can confirm what you wrote about "more saver availability" for award tickets, actually even at less mileage.
Last year we were looking to book on mileage 1-way TLV=>SFO non stop. With my login it showed cost of 80K miles per economy award ticket. But with my wife's login (she has a Chase MileagePlus Explorer card) it showed same award flights at 40K miles (or maybe it was 42,500 miles).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IntFF
Last year we were looking to book on mileage 1-way TLV=>SFO non stop. With my login it showed cost of 80K miles per economy award ticket. But with my wife's login (she has a Chase MileagePlus Explorer card) it showed same award flights at 40K miles (or maybe it was 42,500 miles).
Yes, that's because Premiers and primary cardholders have access to enhanced saver award inventory (XN). It's a meaningful difference.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Am I correct in believing one can access the United Club in NRT with no status given the following connecting itinerary: EWR-NRT UA J connecting to NRT-PVG NH Y?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MTan
Am I correct in believing one can access the United Club in NRT with no status given the following connecting itinerary: EWR-NRT UA J connecting to NRT-PVG NH Y?
Yes; you should have access to the United Club, but you would not have access to the ANA Business lounge.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:05 pm

Forgive me if this has been answered, I can't find it though.

Selecting a Global First seat with a J class award ticket booked HNL-NRT, flying in 21 days. Previously, all GF seats were grayed out on seat selection map. Now they appear orange, but when I confirm selection, my seat stays the same in normal J cabin. I called, customer care couldn't make the change either, suggested that it may have something to do with exact plane not being confirmed yet.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes; you should have access to the United Club, but you would not have access to the ANA Business lounge.
Thanks jsloan! Yes I knew for sure no access to ANA but thought the UC would allow entry but wanted to double check before advising a friend.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ebola 4
Forgive me if this has been answered, I can't find it though.

Selecting a Global First seat with a J class award ticket booked HNL-NRT, flying in 21 days. Previously, all GF seats were grayed out on seat selection map. Now they appear orange, but when I confirm selection, my seat stays the same in normal J cabin. I called, customer care couldn't make the change either, suggested that it may have something to do with exact plane not being confirmed yet.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

Are you GS or 1K? You have to be one of those to be able to select a seat in the former First Class area.

The answer from the UA agent was not correct since other passengers have been able to select seats on flights that the plane type will only be confirmed two or three days before the flight. But there is the question of your status.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

Are you GS or 1K? You have to be one of those to be able to select a seat in the former First Class area.

The answer from the UA agent was not correct since other passengers have been able to select seats on flights that the plane type will only be confirmed two or three days before the flight. But there is the question of your status.
Thank you for the reply. No, I do not have GS or 1k status. I am aware of that restriction, what I found odd was that the seat selection changed from gray to orange recently. I did hear that upon online check-in, any status can select their upgrade.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Registered for a UA fast track program targeted to my company...I completed all their requirements however UA is saying they will not honor the fast track because the ticket codes weren't booked on 016. The T&C says the following:
  1. Members who register must complete a Qualifying Flight, which starts the Challenge Period (defined below). A “Qualifying Flight” is a flight operated by United, United Express®, Air Canada, All Nippon Airways, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, or SWISS on a ticket purchased using the applicable company’s United corporate tour code and is completed on or before the registration end date of March 31, 2019.
  2. PQS earned on flights operated by United, United Express or Star Alliance member airlines during the Challenge Period, including fare class bonus PQS, will count toward meeting the Qualifying Travel Requirements; however, any other bonus PQS or promotional PQS do not count toward the Qualifying Travel Requirements.
Is there any recourse for me here? The tickets wasn't booked on 016, however it was booked using corporate travel tool. Not sure what the corporate tour code actually means in T&C.

Thanks!

Requirements was as follows:
2 PQS 1000 bonus award miles
6 PQS Premier Silver
10 PQS 5000 bonus award miles
15 PQS Premier Gold
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
.... Not sure what the corporate tour code actually means in T&C. ....
That's the key statement --this is a code that allows UA to track the business generated by this promo and effectively requires 016 ticket stock. Seems the T&Cs are clear -- not booked with the UA promo code, not counted. Your travel department should have understood this requirement.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's the key statement --this is a code that allows UA to track the business generated by this promo and effectively requires 016 ticket stock. Seems the T&Cs are clear -- not booked with the UA promo code, not counted. Your travel department should have understood this requirement.
Thank you!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
I've got a one-way reservation with 3 passengers booked as a business saver award using my (Platinum) UA miles but all on LH metal. We're departing this coming Saturday and need to cancel 1 of the 3 passengers and get miles redeposited.

I called the Premier line today and requested the split/cancellation but the agent was worried about losing the remaining two tickets in the process. She suggested informing LH at check-in that one passenger would not be flying and then calling Premier line again after completing travel to get redeposit of miles.

I'm worried about having to pay $125 as a no-show redeposit rather than $50 as a cancellation fee prior to travel, but she assured me that she had noted on the record that I should only be charged $50 afterwards.

The thread at Splitting up partner airline award reservation seems to indicate that I don't need to be worried about LH failing to reconfirm after a split, and that I should be ok either doing the cancellation online or on the phone, but obviously I'm nervous about either approach. What would those of you with more UA experience recommend in this case?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Probably overthinking it but I haven’t run into this situation before so I thought I’d ask the experts. How’s the baggage situation handled on United Express these days?

SO and I are traveling for Thanksgiving and it’s looking like we’re going to need to max out on baggage between myself (Premier Silver, so 2 at 70 pounds each checked plus carry ons) and SO (ordinary member). Personal reasons, this is after consolidating as much as I hate to admit it - it’s what it is. Resigned to being that couple with far too many bags in the airport. Outbound leg is pretty straightforward. B738 is what’s scheduled.

The problem is that United in their infinite scheduling wisdom is only running ERJ-145s for the return leg. Will we have a problem with all our bags on the return? Spent far more time on the ERJs this year than I wish I had to know that our larger carry-ons will have to be gate checked, but that’ll be six bags in the hold between the two of us barring a holiday miracle, so I’m questioning things.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by theonewhoflutters
Probably overthinking it but I haven’t run into this situation before so I thought I’d ask the experts. How’s the baggage situation handled on United Express these days?

SO and I are traveling for Thanksgiving and it’s looking like we’re going to need to max out on baggage between myself (Premier Silver, so 2 at 70 pounds each checked plus carry ons) and SO (ordinary member). Personal reasons, this is after consolidating as much as I hate to admit it - it’s what it is. Resigned to being that couple with far too many bags in the airport. Outbound leg is pretty straightforward. B738 is what’s scheduled.

The problem is that United in their infinite scheduling wisdom is only running ERJ-145s for the return leg. Will we have a problem with all our bags on the return? Spent far more time on the ERJs this year than I wish I had to know that our larger carry-ons will have to be gate checked, but that’ll be six bags in the hold between the two of us barring a holiday miracle, so I’m questioning things.
There will be no problem. It's not considered as 6 pieces of luggage checked. It's considered 4 pieces of luggage checked. For the two carry-ons they are not really gate checked. You will get green tags for those (they are green and white). The gate agent provides those and you just attach one to the handle of each piece of luggage and detach the little receipts that has the numbers for if something happens. When you board, you will leave the carryons at the end of the jetway (near the plane, you can not miss it as you will see other pieces of luggage). The workers there will put them in the hold. When you arrive at your destination, you will wait for your carry-ons in the area just outside the plane. Do not go to inside the Terminal without your carryons.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Nov 16, 2018 at 5:35 am Reason: More description of the green tag
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:45 am

OP could also actually check (not gate check) the carry-ons at the gate if they want to. I've never gotten push-back from GA for exceeding a baggage allowance by checking additional bags at the gate -- they're usually happy I'm volunteering and making boarding go faster. Once you're waiting for 4 pieces at the carousel doesn't seem that bad to wait for 6, and will make your trip through the arrival airport easier (and no waiting on the jetway / tarmac for gate-checked bags).

Just be very clear whether you are gate-checking (green tag) or checking through. Ask the agent who is tagging the bags whether you claim them plane-side or at the carousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.