Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flockavelliFT
I'm currently based in Germany but will relocate to the SF Bay Area in 2019 at least for 1 year. My plan is to go for UA 1K in 2019.
My question: is there any need to update my location to the U.S. as there might be any relevant mail sent? Or special promos only to people with U.S. addresses? Outstanding credit card offers which I might miss out (I do have a 750+ credit score currently) on? I really didn't think so, but wanted to make sure.
I am aware that keeping German location will allow me to bypass the PQD requirement.
Consider reading this thread:
Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

I would not advocate misrepresenting your address, but if you can claim to retain ties of some kind to your German address, it certainly seems beneficial for the MP program.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:13 pm

Three quick, probably stupid questions. I'm based in Canada, and with the upcoming Air Canada upheaval in 2020 I'm focusing on earning with United for now.

1. My wife doesn't have a MileagePlus account and isn't really interested in one. If I book an itinerary with United for the two of us, would her potential PQM/PQD earnings go off into the ether, or would they be credited to me?

2. For flights booked through United on AC metal, is there still the option to purchase a last minute upgrade while checking in on Air Canada's website?

and lastly

3. This is more of a general question. If I book a domestic Canadian flight through United.com on AC metal, does that constitute Cabotage?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sameruval
Three quick, maybe stupid questions. I'm based in Canada, and with the upcoming Air Canada upheaval in 2020 I'm focusing on earning with United for now.

1. My wife doesn't have a MileagePlus account and isn't really interested in one. If I book an itinerary with United for the two of us, would her potential PQM/PQD earnings go off into the ether, or would they be credited to me? ...
only credited to the traveler. Might as well set up the account for the RDMs

2. For flights booked through United on AC metal, is there still the option to purchase a last minute upgrade while checking in on Air Canada's website? ...
Probably a better question for the AC forum -- some carriers restrict the offers to their tickets and some will do it for any ticket stock

.... 3. This is more of a general question. If I book a domestic Canadian flight through United.com on AC metal, does that constitute Cabotage?
Cabotage is a flight operator issue, who ticketed the flight does not matter. However, UA may not ticket such a flight.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Cabotage is a flight operator issue, who ticketed the flight does not matter. However, UA may not ticket such a flight.
Thanks for the answers!

Interestingly it seems I would be able to book itineraries such as YYZ-YOW and YYZ-YHZ through the United website (obviously on AC metal with AC flight numbers) for better RDM earnings as compared to what I'd get with Aeroplan, but the Air Canada website won't let you even search for domestic flights within the United States even if there was a flight on United metal between the two destinations.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:20 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Interestingly it seems I would be able to book itineraries such as YYZ-YOW and YYZ-YHZ through the United website (obviously on AC metal with AC flight numbers) for better RDM earnings as compared to what I'd get with Aeroplan, but the Air Canada website won't let you even search for domestic flights within the United States even if there was a flight on United metal between the two destinations.
i picked YVR-YYC and looks like UA will indeed sell the flights.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Thanks for the answers!

Don’t forget to double check AC’s site anyway. Some carriers restrict their cheapest fares to be ticketed exclusively on their own ticket stock, so weigh the cash difference (if any) vs the accrual rates to MP. As for your upgrade question, I’ve found that if the flight number on your ticket is a native AC number, you’ll sometimes get the offer box when checking in online, but not if it’s a UA codeshare (e.g. UA8XXX)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:21 am

I have an award flight for 3 adults which I may need to cancel. Is the cancellation/redeposit fee of $75 (for gold) for the entire ticket, or per passenger?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by leonidas
I have an award flight for 3 adults which I may need to cancel. Is the cancellation/redeposit fee of $75 (for gold) for the entire ticket, or per passenger?
The latter, per passenger -- all ticket fees are per passenger

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The latter, per passenger -- all ticket fees are per passenger

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html
Thanks. Hopefully I won't need to cancel. This is why I always book award tickets with Avios or Southwest miles when travel plans are tentative. UA loves to nickel and dime you.
RNE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by leonidas
UA loves to nickel and dime you.
UA's fees for general members are comparable to DL and AA's. Non-US programs do tend to charge less.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I don't think there's a dedicated thread for this - but does anyone have any experience booking award tickets via UA for ZH? I know there are problems w/CA every now and then, but curious about ZH.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:09 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
Dynamic award pricing during search?

Hey guys,

Just had this occur to me, which is very strange.

Trying to book a domestic round trip ticket using mileage plus miles. Selected the flights, total came to 25K. took a bathroom break, came back, searched the same flights again and now it's 37.5K! It was not even a 15 min break. Tried logging out, incognito mode, different IP etc.

Are these a part of United's "dynamic award pricing" shenanigans? Any use to waiting till the morning hoping for it to come back down? Or did I just magically time my searches around the scheduled pricing update?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aviator88
Are these a part of United's "dynamic award pricing" shenanigans? Any use to waiting till the morning hoping for it to come back down? Or did I just magically time my searches around the scheduled pricing update?
Someone else may have booked in that span, but keep checking - sometimes the lower price will come back, sometimes it won't.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator88
Trying to book a domestic round trip ticket using mileage plus miles. Selected the flights, total came to 25K. took a bathroom break, came back, searched the same flights again and now it's 37.5K! It was not even a 15 min break. Tried logging out, incognito mode, different IP etc.

25K domestic RT is a saver award, 37.5K is an everyday award -- looks like the saver award inventory disappear (perhaps booked by someone in the meantime?)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Tangential note: the LAX MLL tends to reject non AC boarding passes when they are crowded regardless of access qualifications. I have tried on three occasions and have yet to step beyond the front desk. Never argued the point because they did indeed look quite crowded, and when leaving T8/7 already, it seems worth walking the additional 10 minutes to TBIT.
You haven't missed much.

Or, if you are coming back from *A, just keep walking to UC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.