Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 4, 20, 4:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 17, 5:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

is there anyway to avoid the $75 fee when booking less than 21 days
sooz is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:51 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 42,980
Get status fast
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 6:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 23
The United Chase Club card has it as a benefit, no close in award fees. However the card does have a $395 annual fee...
James603 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: CLE (mostly)
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 725
General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

I have currently booked for next week:

CLE-SFO-LAS in XN for 12.5K
and the return 2 days later
LAS-LAX-CLE in YN for 25K

on a single PNR

I'm tempted to cancel the return and take F9's nonstop LAS-CLE as part of their 2-day $19 sale.

I understand (I think) from reading the UA website that canceling for redeposit would be $75 as UA Gold.

Can I cancel only the return segments before the start of the trip? Would I still have to pay the entire $75 to redeposit only the return segments?

Can I cancel the return segments after I land in LAS, but before check-in on the return? Would there be any benefit in doing so?
Wooglin is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 10:12 pm
  #5  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
Posts: 871
1k free refunds of fees and mile redeposit goes for any and all awards, no matter the passenger, right?
GoSh4rks is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 10:29 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,803
Originally Posted by Wooglin View Post
..Can I cancel the return segments after I land in LAS, but before check-in on the return? Would there be any benefit in doing so?
Once you use part of it, the whole thing is considered used. No refund. "If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited."

You'll have to do your ticket changes before travel starts.

I'll let others comment on nuances of changing a round-trip award ticket...
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jan 4, 17, 3:30 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,160
Hi, I'm just looking to confirm my understanding of the rules:

I have a 1-way award ticket that I cancelled approx a year ago. I did not redeposit the miles.

To reuse the miles without needing to do a redeposit and pay a fee, is it correct that I must fly the one-way within 1 year of the original ticket and I cannot just rebook the ticket within 1 year for a later date past 1 year? In either case, which date is used the date of the original outbound flight or the date of the cancellation?

(As far as I understood I must complete the new flight within 1 year of the original flight, but I'm looking to be 100% sure that is true and there is no work-around.)

Thanks for your help.
lewinr is offline  
Old Jan 4, 17, 9:15 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: CLE (mostly)
Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 725
I understand if I cancel a standard award ticket from AAA-BBB-CCC, and I don't redeposit the miles... I have 1 year from original date of departure to re-use the ticket.

Do I have to book the same AAA-BBB-CCC routing, or any AAA-CCC routing that has Standard Award availability?
Wooglin is offline  
Old Jan 4, 17, 9:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by Wooglin View Post
I understand if I cancel a standard award ticket from AAA-BBB-CCC, and I don't redeposit the miles... I have 1 year from original date of departure to re-use the ticket.

Do I have to book the same AAA-BBB-CCC routing, or any AAA-CCC routing that has Standard Award availability?
Isn't it one year from date of issue?
economyplusfan is offline  
Old Jan 4, 17, 4:49 pm
  #10  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 48,878
Originally Posted by Wooglin View Post
I understand if I cancel a standard award ticket from AAA-BBB-CCC, and I don't redeposit the miles... I have 1 year from original date of departure to re-use the ticket.

Do I have to book the same AAA-BBB-CCC routing, or any AAA-CCC routing that has Standard Award availability?
1 year from ticketing and any routing can be used, need not involve AAA or BBB or CCC

Originally Posted by lewinr View Post
Hi, I'm just looking to confirm my understanding of the rules:

I have a 1-way award ticket that I cancelled approx a year ago. I did not redeposit the miles.

To reuse the miles without needing to do a redeposit and pay a fee, is it correct that I must fly the one-way within 1 year of the original ticket and I cannot just rebook the ticket within 1 year for a later date past 1 year? In either case, which date is used the date of the original outbound flight or the date of the cancellation?

(As far as I understood I must complete the new flight within 1 year of the original flight, but I'm looking to be 100% sure that is true and there is no work-around.)

Thanks for your help.
You must change within the one year, travel can be outside of the year. A new ticket will be issued.
The date is based on the day the tickets were purchased / ticketed.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 5, 17, 2:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
You must change within the one year, travel can be outside of the year. A new ticket will be issued.
The date is based on the day the tickets were purchased / ticketed.
Thanks for the clarification!

This contradicts what I was told by a telephone agent, who said the new travel must be completed within 1 year of the ticketing date (or maybe the flight date, I dont remember because that was not the principle point).

I searched the UA website and could not find it documented one way or the other. Does anybody have a link to the policy? Before I call again it would be good to be armed with something from the UA website...
lewinr is offline  
Old Jan 13, 17, 5:37 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43
Hello all. New UA Gold member (matched from AA) and trying to figure out both UA and *A. Forgive me if there's an obvious answer to this question, but I've been searching for a little while now and I can't find it:

If I book an award flight with 2 stops on a *A partner, but later availability for a 1-stop flight on UA pops up, is there a change fee and, if so, what is it? I'm trying to plan a trip to South America in December and while I'm finding Business Saver availability from TYS-EWR-YYZ-SCL on AC, I'd prefer to go TYS-IAH-SCL on UA. So I'd like to nab the AC flights while I can but still be able to change to UA if it becomes available.
silly_stitcher is offline  
Old Jan 13, 17, 6:00 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 42,980
Originally Posted by silly_stitcher View Post
Hello all. New UA Gold member (matched from AA) and trying to figure out both UA and *A. Forgive me if there's an obvious answer to this question, but I've been searching for a little while now and I can't find it:

If I book an award flight with 2 stops on a *A partner, but later availability for a 1-stop flight on UA pops up, is there a change fee and, if so, what is it? I'm trying to plan a trip to South America in December and while I'm finding Business Saver availability from TYS-EWR-YYZ-SCL on AC, I'd prefer to go TYS-IAH-SCL on UA. So I'd like to nab the AC flights while I can but still be able to change to UA if it becomes available.
Award change fees are listed here: Award Service Fees
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 13, 17, 6:30 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43
So the fees are for any change, even if the departure/destination/date are all the same?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm just very accustomed to AA!)
silly_stitcher is offline  
Old Jan 13, 17, 8:59 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 42,980
Originally Posted by silly_stitcher View Post
So the fees are for any change, even if the departure/destination/date are all the same?
Per the chart, "Fee will be charged for any change to cabin, award type, carrier, date or time."

As a gold, you would pay no fees for change 21 days or more prior to departure.
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: