Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Do united PQM rollover from one year to the next?
I believe Delta does this.
No, United does not do it.

I saw too late that Kacee has already answered your question.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 18, 2018 at 5:00 am Reason: Just added comment
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a very good bet those will be reduced to 150%, though that has not yet occurred.

Accruals are based on operating carrier.

No. You start at zero January 1.
it appears (to my untrained eye) that this is a huge plus to Delta. Must be nice for many frequent fliers to get a head start with qualifying miles each year.

Is there anything noteworthy in Mileageplus that is unique compared to other FF programs?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:25 am

it appears (to my untrained eye) that this is a huge plus to Delta. Must be nice for many frequent fliers to get a head start with qualifying miles each year.

Is there anything noteworthy in Mileageplus that is unique compared to other FF programs?
I think for me it does not matter that United does not do it as I have a harder time meeting the $12,000 PQDs than the 100,000 PQMs to get to 1K. And next year, it will be even harder when we'll need $15,000.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think it matters much, if at all, to most of us. I've never heard anyone saying they were moving their business to DL for rollover miles. Better service? Yes. Rollover miles? Not so much.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think for me it does not matter that United does not do it as I have a harder time meeting the $12,000 PQDs than the 100,000 PQMs to get to 1K. And next year, it will be even harder when we'll need $15,000.
I need to quote myself as I did not look at the numbers in my spreadsheet before answering. I was below 11 cents/PQM until September and was expecting to be just under the $12,000 PQDs for the year (with the last one of my 5 International Long Hauls being only 7 cents/PQM). But, then, in the first part of October I had unexpected domestic travel that cost 20 cents/PQM and 25 cents/PQM (not my choice, that's the lowest price UA gave me) so I met the 100,000 PQMs and 12,000 PQDs at the same time.

However, my previous comment works for my wife's travel pattern. With all travel booked until the end of the year, she was going to finish at 100,300 PQMs and $10,600 PQDs. To get over the $12,000 hurdle, she had to do a GG BUYUP to a P fare in one direction for the last International Long Haul this year.

And my previous comment works for next year when the requirement will be $15,000 PQDs.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

The biggest issue is that DL doesn't roll over MQDs, so for the many of us who see the dollar requirement as the bigger hurdle, rolling over qualifying miles is useless.

I think the biggest difference in MP right now is the number of upgrade certificates (although they are capping regional certs at 4 starting next year). You can still earn more certificate upgrades than basically any other program. They can be a struggle to use, but if you are the kind of flyer who knows how to get through all your upgrade certs it's a pretty big advantage to UA. Also not strictly FFP related, but I also appreciate that UA has a lot more transparency than AA or DL (inventory published on-site including hidden inventory buckets, tail numbers and previous flight info in the app, FLIFO with commentary lines published to ExpertFlyer).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Also not strictly FFP related, but I also appreciate that UA has a lot more transparency than AA or DL (inventory published on-site including hidden inventory buckets, tail numbers and previous flight info in the app, FLIFO with commentary lines published to ExpertFlyer).
This is a significant difference. We complain plenty about UA here, but the transparency compared to pretty much every other airline is awesome.

The other major difference these days is that DL's award prices are not only unpublished, they're in many instances off the charts insanely high - try 105k for a one way economy award to Europe within 90 days of departure (compared with 30k on UA).
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a very good bet those will be reduced to 150%, though that has not yet occurred.

Accruals are based on operating carrier.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:21 am

Apologies in advance if this question has been answered elsewhere: to access a United Lounge (at JFK) using a 1-time "Anniversary Pass," must I show a boarding pass for a United flight - or can I be traveling on another airline?
Thank you.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by lizzie
Apologies in advance if this question has been answered elsewhere: to access a United Lounge (at JFK) using a 1-time "Anniversary Pass," must I show a boarding pass for a United flight - or can I be traveling on another airline?
Moot question, UA has not flown to JFK in a couple or so years - maybe they kept the lounge for *A, but I really doubt it.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:41 am

Thank you.
There is no UA lounge at JFK.

But in general, to use the single entry pass (at airports with a United Club), you just need a same day boarding pass on any airline. Doesn't have to be UA.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.
Your question seems to be already answered, but may I ask, what is an anniversary pass? Does yours label itself specific to JFK?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Do I understand correctly that I can cancel an award ticket and redeposit the miles for a fee of $100? I hold no status.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
Do I understand correctly that I can cancel an award ticket and redeposit the miles for a fee of $100? I hold no status.
$75 or $125 depending on how far in advance you cancel. See https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Clay_C. likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
$75 or $125 depending on how far in advance you cancel. See https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Thank you! One more simple-ish question if you or someone else would indulge me: is there a full fare economy class fare on a TATL ticket that can be upgraded to business for 20000 miles? I have the impression that this is only good for standby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.