Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA offers Same Day Changes (SDC) for $75 (if no status) -- it is actually better than same day because once you are within 24 hours (the day before) of the original departure, you can select an earlier flight if space in your fare class is available

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki)
For more see
Thank you for sharing this great info! I have read through a lot of it but have just two more specific questions, is it better to wait until SD to do the change? And can I do this on an itinerary with 2 different confirms. Ex. I have flights booked GOT-FRA-SFO-LAX then on separate booking LAX-PHX. Unfortunately it was MUCH cheaper to book those separately but would love to be able to change the flight from SFO to go straight to PHX. When doing it as a mock change online it is quite expensive, more than what would be even remotely reasonable, so I’m wondering if a SDC would be my best course of action, and/or if it’s even be possible. Not sure if this info is needed but these flights aren’t until early Dec either so not until after my next couple of itineraries are completed at which time I’m not yet sure if I’ll be UA gold or plat. Thanks!!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:25 pm

I'll call the 1K number, but after reading a couple of "UA cancelled by account because I sold GPU" threads this weekend, I'm a little paranoid.

I've got a few GPU that will likely go unused (I don't live in the US and a lot of my flying is on non-UA metal in paid J, so hard to even get flights where I could apply them). A colleague is flying in a couple of weeks on UA (in paid J but with F on the flight), so I used one of my GPU to upgrade her. There was no upgrade space, so she went on the waitlist and I could use "Upgrade Requested". They deducted a GPU from my account.

She said that the "Upgrade Requested" no longer shows. I logged in and I cannot see it on her booking either and the "upgrade flight" option is back (allowing me to apply a GPU). The deducted GPU has not been returned to my account.

Any thoughts on what could be going on? I did not sell/trade/barter the GPU and I don't have a history of doing this (first time I've applied a GPU for someone else). I thought that we were allowed to do this (again, as long as there I don't sell/trade/barter or pretend that people are buying my advice and getting a free GPU). Did I break a rule?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by frontenac551
Any thoughts on what could be going on?
No, but I would call and try to get it straightened out. If this were UA's corporate fraud department in action, your account would already be frozen.

I thought that we were allowed to do this (again, as long as there I don't sell/trade/barter or pretend that people are buying my advice and getting a free GPU). Did I break a rule?
No you did not break a rule. I've gifted quite a few instruments. It's expressly allowed so long as there's no quid pro quo.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
No, but I would call and try to get it straightened out. If this were UA's corporate fraud department in action, your account would already be frozen.

I can log into my account and see all my points and GPUs/RPUs. I'll give them a call to check it out.

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
And can I do this on an itinerary with 2 different confirms.
No.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
If I book via Chase UR, will I earn PQDs for an all UA-metal itinerary? Can GPUs also be applied to the itinerary (W or higher)?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 764toHI
If I book via Chase UR, will I earn PQDs for an all UA-metal itinerary?...
It depends on how it books -- if it books as a BULK ticket, then no. If a published fare, then yes.
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Can GPUs also be applied to the itinerary (W or higher)?
The trick here is to get the W fare, it likely will take a human to do the booking unless you are very lucky.
Forcing the fare class also will likely avoid the bulk fares.
764toHI likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

No you did not break a rule. I've gifted quite a few instruments. It's expressly allowed so long as there's no quid pro quo.
To follow-up. I did call the 1K line. The issue is that you are no longer allowed to use GPU to waitlist for an upgrade from J to F (I think that there is no F standby list at all). Probably noted in a thread on here that I missed (I know that there are threads about UA getting rid of F, but I didn't realise the implications on using GPU for J to F on UA metal (where it is currently showing as a three-class plane)).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To follow-up. I did call the 1K line. The issue is that you are no longer allowed to use GPU to waitlist for an upgrade from J to F (I think that there is no F standby list at all). Probably noted in a thread on here that I missed (I know that there are threads about UA getting rid of F, but I didn't realise the implications on using GPU for J to F on UA metal (where it is currently showing as a three-class plane)).
This might be the thread you want:
Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

I think you got a slightly misinformed agent, and that there was some other system glitch. Assuming the fare class is D or higher, you can use a GPU.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
This might be the thread you want:
Upgrades/Access to Polaris Global First since UA Ended Polaris Global First Sales

I think you got a slightly misinformed agent, and that there was some other system glitch. Assuming the fare class is D or higher, you can use a GPU.
I think that you are correct about this since there was just a report of an FTer managing to get the upgrade from J to F for both directions just this week (was waitlisted with GPU). If the fare class for Polaris Business was not P or Z, the upgrade to F could be waitlisted by just requesting the upgrade on the website.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think that you are correct about this since there was just a report of an FTer managing to get the upgrade from J to F for both directions just this week (was waitlisted with GPU). If the fare class for Polaris Business was not P or Z, the upgrade to F could be waitlisted by just requesting the upgrade on the website.
I'll check the fare class and call again. It is letting my apply another upgrade if I look at the reservation on online (I'm not doing so), so seems like an eligible class.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll check the fare class and call again. It is letting my apply another upgrade if I look at the reservation on online (I'm not doing so), so seems like an eligible class.
Did you get your GPU back? If so, I don't see any reason not to do (unless of course you have other things in mind for it now).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Did you get your GPU back? If so, I don't see any reason not to do (unless of course you have other things in mind for it now).
I think that frontenac551 wants to do it by phone because he's worried that UA will think that he sold the GPU on the web to an unknown person. On the phone, it's easier to explain that the recipient of the GPU is a colleague. But, then, there's the risk as previously experienced that the United agent on the phone has no clue.

Maybe it would be good to know what flight, plane type and day as, who knows, they may have switched it to a converted 772 with the new Polaris seats and obviously in that plane there should be no option to waitlist an upgrade (Business to First) as there's no old First seats.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think that frontenac551 wants to do it by phone because he's worried that UA will think that he sold the GPU on the web to an unknown person. On the phone, it's easier to explain that the recipient of the GPU is a colleague. But, then, there's the risk as previously experienced that the United agent on the phone has no clue.

Maybe it would be good to know what flight, plane type and day as, who knows, they may have switched it to a converted 772 with the new Polaris seats and obviously in that plane there should be no option to waitlist an upgrade (Business to First) as there's no old First seats.
I'm a she

I didn't, yet, get my first GPU back which is why I was loathe to use another one (I've got five (well four now) that expire in January 2019, so could spare another while I wait. When I called, I was clear that I had tried to upgrade a friend and the agent had no problem with it (so no longer worried that they thought I was selling it). And the agent said that the GPU will credit back to my account.

The flight is UA932 - IAD to FRA UA on 20-September.

And, yes, the agent said that they weren't waitlisting in case the plane changes to a two-class plane. But other posters have said that this isn't true - they'll waitlist just not actually upgrade until they know the plane type.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:13 am

I'm a she

I didn't, yet, get my first GPU back which is why I was loathe to use another one (I've got five (well four now) that expire in January 2019, so could spare another while I wait. When I called, I was clear that I had tried to upgrade a friend and the agent had no problem with it (so no longer worried that they thought I was selling it). And the agent said that the GPU will credit back to my account.

The flight is UA932 - IAD to FRA UA on 20-September.

And, yes, the agent said that they weren't waitlisting in case the plane changes to a two-class plane. But other posters have said that this isn't true - they'll waitlist just not actually upgrade until they know the plane type.
My apologies. I try to write sentences without identifying gender but that one escaped my attention.

I can see that on that flight they are also showing (but blocking) the F seats in Economy which do not exist in the 3-class 772. Anyways, if when they return your GPU you don't get an agent to waitlist it, they usually decide on what plane type they will fly 48 hours before the flight. Plane type can still change on day of departure as it happened to us. I hope your colleague gets to enjoy the bigger seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.