Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by frontenac551
I didn't, yet, get my first GPU back
If it's not back yet, it's likely not coming back on its own. I would call MPSC.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:06 pm

Quick question

Quick silly question on booking an award flight.

I am trying to do a business saver award in US for October (if you need more details let me know).

There are some choices where it is a mixed cabin and the mixed cabin is in the XN fare bucket. I have a Chase card, is it possible that this can be bumped up to E+ or higher with miles or cash, or when I use my chase card to pay for the award? Or is the flight/segement having an XN because there are no business/first class award seats open?

Thanks!

Last edited by jkumpire; Sep 13, 2018 at 12:08 pm Reason: I can't type
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Quick silly question on booking an award flight.

I am trying to do a business saver award in US for October (if you need more details let me know).

There are some choices where it is a mixed cabin and the mixed cabin is in the XN fare bucket. I have a Chase card, is it possible that this can be bumped up to E+ or higher with miles or cash, or when I use my chase card to pay for the award? Or is the flight/segement having an XN because there are no business/first class award seats open?

Thanks!
E+ access is purchasable for award tickets. Cash, not miles.

You are seeing XN for two reasons, if selecting a business award -- there is no business space but there is economy saver space. And it is XN vs X because there is extra economy saver space for elites and credit card holders.

Note you can waitlist for I space on the X/XN segments,
Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
If successful your E+ access fee will be refunded.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
If it's not back yet, it's likely not coming back on its own. I would call MPSC.
It actually popped back today
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
What bucket does a GS GPU pull from? Is it PN?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
What bucket does a GS GPU pull from? Is it PN?
Yes
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes
Thank you. Didn't wanna screw this one up.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I am seeing my name twice on the upgrade list. It appears there is someone with same a very similar name to me. Is there any way to tell which one I am?

I don't know if it is related to Florence but I am seeing some crazy long upgrade lists. One of my flights is not clearing upgrades with 7R and <24 hours before flight.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyguy6
I am seeing my name twice on the upgrade list. It appears there is someone with same a very similar name to me. Is there any way to tell which one I am?

I don't know if it is related to Florence but I am seeing some crazy long upgrade lists. One of my flights is not clearing upgrades with 7R and <24 hours before flight.
If you are familiar with upgrade patterns on that route, you may be able to guess with a good degree of confidence. But I can't think of any way to confirm on your own without possibly affecting your priority on the list. Somewhat for this reason, I usually look at the list just before I check in as well.

Sometimes recently they seem to like to hold off on upgrades until right around T-24 and run one sweep. But note also that they've changed the way upgrades displayed, so that you only see check marks for passengers who have already checked in at the time of upgrade, which means it's much harder to know if anyone has or has not cleared.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyguy6
One of my flights is not clearing upgrades with 7R and <24 hours before flight.
Well if you apply an instrument, it will clear immediately
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:41 am

Award Upgraded

I'm not sure what happened but I'm super thrill!
My orginal biz award booking was a mixed cabin for 2 one-way tix for 75k each. Only one segment was class I and the other two segments were X. First two segments are United metal and last is a partner flight.
So there was a time change arriving 5 mins later on one segment. I called CS and ask if i can change the departure time a little later. He was able to find a later time for class X but I told him I saw class I. After 2 mins on hold he did find class I and made the change. Next thing I know all 3 segments are class I. I didn't have to pay any additional miles. Did the agent made a mistake? If so can they downgrade or require me to pay additional miles? Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:09 am

I have an upcoming flight IAD-DEN, for which I need to check a bag. Is there no way to pay for that in advance? I don't see anywhere I can do it. Will it let me during online checkin, or do I have to do it at IAD?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingwith5
Next thing I know all 3 segments are class I. I didn't have to pay any additional miles. Did the agent made a mistake? If so can they downgrade or require me to pay additional miles? Thanks.
As long as the segments that went from X to I were each within a single MileagePlus region, the cost would have been the same anyway. They won't come after you for more miles.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I have an upcoming flight IAD-DEN, for which I need to check a bag. Is there no way to pay for that in advance? I don't see anywhere I can do it. Will it let me during online checkin, or do I have to do it at IAD?
You can't pay in advance. I think you can pay online during the check-in process.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:54 pm

I'm UA gold and have a question. I currently have an economy ticket. The "Use Miles to Upgrade" screen says I can use 15,000 miles to upgrade to first but that it's "waitlist only". I'm wondering how this compares to the CPU from gold status?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zakfischer
I'm UA gold and have a question. I currently have an economy ticket. The "Use Miles to Upgrade" screen says I can use 15,000 miles to upgrade to first but that it's "waitlist only". I'm wondering how this compares to the CPU from gold status?
You'd be much further ahead on the waitlist.

1 - A miles + copay* waitlist can clear at any time; a Gold CPU cannot clear until 48 hours before departure. (This doesn't mean that it will clear, just that it can).
2 - If it goes to the gate without clearing, a Gold member using an instrument (including miles) will be ahead of all non-GS CPUs, but will be behind 1K and Platinum instruments. So, think of it as jumping over Platinums and 1Ks who do not use instruments of their own.

* For CPU-eligible routes, the copay is waived for premier members, and not all fare classes have copays anyway, but the same principle applies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.