Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by merges
I changed to a SFO-NRT flight, UA 837. But now I'm confused about the relationship between Flight Status capacity numbers, the seat map, and fare availability.
Originally Posted by jsloan
The flight status is messed up, unfortunately. At J9, there are definitely at least 9 seats available. UA does not systemically oversell J, and certainly not by 7.
I see flight status has corrected, and now shows J booked 50/60, with 28 on the list
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mattg85
Any thoughts on chances of UG on UA 5 11/1? I am 1K but waitlisted from W fare for both PremPlus and Polaris using husband’s GS PP.

2 weeks out and seems like P9 is a good sign…
Pretty much a slam dunk. With GS PPs you are waitlisted for PN, not PZ. The flight is P9 and O9R8 meaning they are selling a ton of premium seats. In fact I'm very surprised you haven't gotten the upgrade yet. It should come any day now IMO.

-RM
mattg85 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Pretty much a slam dunk. With GS PPs you are waitlisted for PN, not PZ. The flight is P9 and O9R8 meaning they are selling a ton of premium seats. In fact I'm very surprised you haven't gotten the upgrade yet. It should come any day now IMO.

-RM
Original reservation was for 11/2 and only I switched to UA5 yesterday so I’ll let UA off for not upgrading me immediately

Overnight got bumped to Prem Plus and still shows RN1 but no upgrade to Polaris yet. Hopefully that’s overnight tonight!
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:18 pm

I'm hoping for some help to figure out the best way to book SFO-HKG-BKK - I have lowly silver status, and am trying to figure out if my chances would be better to buy an award ticket for myself and my partner for 60.5K each and hope for a premium economy buy-up for about $300-500 OR would it be better to pay $775 cash for economy and then upgrade waitlist for J for $600 + 30K miles (with backup to upgrade to just PE for 30K miles alone). We're flying around mid Jan on a Thursday if that might make a difference. Here's the current available fare classes. It's a mixed upgrade so HKG-BKK would be economy regardless. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A Silver has zero chance of getting into Polaris cabin SFO-HKG off a waitlist.
technique likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by dharps
Any advice greatly appreciated!
If you buy PE and upgrade to business with miles you’re ahead of all the 1K’s (but not GS) who buy economy and upgrade. This is your only shot really unless you get very lucky and still definitely not a sure thing.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:12 pm

Thanks! I'm sure Polaris is definitely out of the question, but wondering if the better way to try to upgrade from economy to PE is to get an economy award ticket and look for a cash upgrade, or buy a cash ticket and get on upgrade waitlist with miles? Or is even an economy to PE upgrade super unlikely?
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA
Is SFO--FRA/MUC hard to upgrade with PlusPoints late Nov? or is it better to reposition to ORD/IAH/EWR/IAD first? I heard SFO is brutal, but so far I still see some P openings in those flights.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:34 pm

Out of curiosity, how far in advance does UA "usually" release PZ inventory?
("usually" meaning I'm already assuming it's completely variable )

I snagged a US-AU flight with PZ inventory on 2/21/24, but so far daily searches on a return either NZ-US or AU-US hasn't shown any PZ inventory whatsoever.
I flew AKL-SFO in August this year (booked in June in R) and upgrade cleared a few days prior to the flight.
Not so sure if taking the gamble in summer is as smart or if a random PZ spot will open up closer in.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W
Out of curiosity, how far in advance does UA "usually" release PZ inventory?
Usually? That would be "never."
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone have a sense of how difficult Y (K fare) -> Polaris would be with a MUA mid-November? I assume impossible, but figured I'd maybe try it anyway (or see what the TOD buyup is, but if I MUA then I'm pretty sure I lose the ability to see the TOD upgrade)
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Anyone have a sense of how difficult Y (K fare) -> Polaris would be with a MUA mid-November? I assume impossible, but figured I'd maybe try it anyway (or see what the TOD buyup is, but if I MUA then I'm pretty sure I lose the ability to see the TOD upgrade)
Status? Route? Day of week?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:50 am

Status? Route? Day of week?
I'm holding a K fare, SFO-ICN on Saturday, 11/4, status is Gold still, won't hit Plat until mid Dec at this rate.

Weighing some other options at this point, maybe cancel and rebook on KE for the nonstop.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I'm holding a K fare, SFO-ICN on Saturday, 11/4, status is Gold still, won't hit Plat until mid Dec at this rate.

Weighing some other options at this point, maybe cancel and rebook on KE for the nonstop.
Inventory on that fight is J8, meaning that there are only 8 J seats available after accounting for any PE oversales. (PE is sold out, which is often an indication that it's oversold).

Your upgrade chance with an MUA is essentially zero.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:33 pm

Inventory on that fight is J8, meaning that there are only 8 J seats available after accounting for any PE oversales. (PE is sold out, which is often an indication that it's oversold).

Your upgrade chance with an MUA is essentially zero.
Yeah that's what I figured. Oh well. It's only 13 hours. Can't be any worse than the regular SFO-HKG/SFO-SIN mileage runs I did pre-pandemic.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.