Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 5:21 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by rktj
I see. On this particular flight, PZ space has been opening up 3-4 days before departure. Theoretically if this same trend happened for my flight, I would be better off monitoring things and jumping on it if an when space opened up as opposed to adding myself to the waitlist beforehand?
Well do you know for a fact that the PZ space is opening up before any of those on the waitlist have been processed, it might be after. IME the waitlist is visible about ~70 hours before a flight. But looking at a snapshot then won't necessarily let you know if anyone has been upgraded. You typically just disappear off the upgrade list once upgraded. So the seats sold will increment and available space decrement.
rktj likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:14 pm

Hello! Love the forum, long time lurker.

I'm hoping to get your guidance on chances of clearing our Pluspoints upgrade for the following flight. Specifics:
+ UA 58 (SFO - FRA) on May 30. Fare class S (Economy)
+ United 1K member
+ Pluspoints upgrade to Polaris waitlisted for myself and my wife

Expert mode currently reveals the following for this flight:
J8 JN8 C7 D4 Z2 ZN2 P1 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O8 ON8 A2 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K0 G0 XN9 X0

Thanks in advance!
Old May 6, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyingsquirrel1
Hello! Love the forum, long time lurker.

I'm hoping to get your guidance on chances of clearing our Pluspoints upgrade for the following flight. Specifics:
+ UA 58 (SFO - FRA) on May 30. Fare class S (Economy)
+ United 1K member
+ Pluspoints upgrade to Polaris waitlisted for myself and my wife

Expert mode currently reveals the following for this flight:
J8 JN8 C7 D4 Z2 ZN2 P1 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O8 ON8 A2 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K0 G0 XN9 X0

Thanks in advance!
If you're connecting on this itinerary, you need to search just SFO-FRA by itself.

If those are the nonstop numbers, your chances are zero, but I suspect they're not.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, these are the nonstop SFO-FRA numbers.

If you don't mind, could you explain why the chances are zero? I still see 12 open Polaris seats when I search.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, these are the nonstop SFO-FRA numbers.

If you don't mind, could you explain why the chances are zero? I still see 12 open Polaris seats when I search.
There are only 8 seats left in Polaris (J8) and 8 seats in P+ (O8). P1/PN0 is a bad sign, PN0 meaning that there are no GS UGs available, and the algorithm is predicting that they'll sell more seats, either through cash upsells or last-minute purchases. I don't know that your chances are actually zero, but they're very low. Have you waitlisted for P+?
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...If you don't mind, could you explain why the chances are zero? I still see 12 open Polaris seats when I search.
Almost a month away. Only 8 seats left for sale (seat map means nothing and J8 tells the story). UA will potentially oversell PremiumPlus, and clear oversell into Polaris. They will also upgrade anyone in PremiumPlus wanting upgrades before you. Any GS in coach (or anyone they are sponsoring) looking for upgrades will clear ahead of you. Any 1K on a higher fare basis than your lowly S fare will clear ahead of you. And they can easily sell 8 more Polaris tickets outright in 3 1/2 weeks. Your chances are virtually zero - seriously. And if you're counting on UA releasing upgrade seats in advance - that's not going to happen. Correspondingly, that means virtually 100% chance of sitting in coach, unless you're waitlisted for PremPlus, and even that could be dicey.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, tstauck and 1 others like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 6, 2024 at 2:15 pm
Old May 6, 2024, 2:12 pm

Thank you for the explanation. This is very helpful.
Old May 6, 2024, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Almost a month away. Only 8 seats left for sale (seat map means nothing and J8 tells the story). UA will potentially oversell PremiumPlus, and clear oversell into Polaris. They will also upgrade anyone in PremiumPlus wanting upgrades before you. Any GS in coach (or anyone they are sponsoring) looking for upgrades will clear ahead of you. Any 1K on a higher fare basis than your lowly S fare will clear ahead of you. And they can easily sell 8 more Polaris tickets outright in 3 1/2 weeks. Your chances are virtually zero - seriously. And if you're counting on UA releasing upgrade seats in advance - that's not going to happen. Correspondingly, that means virtually 100% chance of sitting in coach, unless you're waitlisted for PremPlus, and even that could be dicey.
Agreed with all of this -- and I'd just add to it that even if there were 12 seats available in Polaris instead of 8, it wouldn't change my calculation much. Even if they didn't sell another ticket, and didn't sell any discounted buy-ups at check-in, on an S fare, OP might not be in the top 12 of the waitlist on that flight. But the truth is that most long-haul business class travel is purchased within a month of travel; I'd be a bit nervous if there were 24 seats available. 8-12 -- no chance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
How likely will the upgrade clear (understand its hard to predict), but the flight is in May with plenty of inventory.

Also, if it is going to clear, any chance I would know before I fly?

I wonder how they handle Polaris Lounge access - i assume if my waitlist hasnt or doesnt clear, until "day of" , then any lounge access depends on the time it clears right?

Would be a shame if i am in Houston for a 4 hour layover and the waitlist clears 2 hours before departure i guess (?)

Just wondering what other folks have experienced
the flight is now 11 days out, and there are a full 19 seats in Polaris (been a while I've seen that much inventory in Polaris so close to date)

I am booked in Premium Plus, and paid around $350 to get myself on a waitlist.

Any guesses as to whether or not i will get the upgrade?
Old May 7, 2024, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, how about this?

June 7, ORD-FRA
Booked in V and using GS Pluspoints to waitlist for P+ and Polaris
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C6
  • D2
  • Z2
  • ZN2
  • P2
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O8
  • ON8
  • A0
  • R0
  • RN0
Old May 7, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
the flight is now 11 days out, and there are a full 19 seats in Polaris (been a while I've seen that much inventory in Polaris so close to date)

I am booked in Premium Plus, and paid around $350 to get myself on a waitlist.

Any guesses as to whether or not i will get the upgrade?
How do you know there are 19 seats available in Polaris? If going by seating chart, it is unreliable to make that assumption. You'll need to enable expert mode and search that route and post what comes up, the most you'll see confirmed as available will be J9.

What route is it, what fare are you in now (A, O, R), and what status are you? All of these will help FT better give you your chances.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
How do you know there are 19 seats available in Polaris? If going by seating chart, it is unreliable to make that assumption. You'll need to enable expert mode and search that route and post what comes up, the most you'll see confirmed as available will be J9.

What route is it, what fare are you in now (A, O, R), and what status are you? All of these will help FT better give you your chances.
Yes, I was going by the seating chart itself. I am not sure what expert mode is, I havent used it before!
IAH-EZE
I am in R class (Premium Plus), I paid around $340, and I am Premier Gold
Old May 7, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Yes, I was going by the seating chart itself. I am not sure what expert mode is, I havent used it before!
IAH-EZE
I am in R class (Premium Plus), I paid around $340, and I am Premier Gold
Assuming yesterday you said the flight was 11 days out, so as of today, the May 17th flight, here's the inventory for flight 819 (expert mode is a setting you can enable to see the fare inventory):

The P=0, PN=0 isn't great. I'll let the experts chime in on their thoughts for it clearing.

SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: United Plat
Both LHR-LAX flights leaving Sunday, May 12 have PZ>J. What is the chance to be cleared?

Old May 10, 2024, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Both LHR-LAX flights leaving Sunday, May 12 have PZ>J. What is the chance to be cleared?
Search the flight by itself, without a connection, to see the actual J and PZ values.
sfo3388 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.