Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For domestic flight issues, use Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2018]

Previous international delayed / cancelled report threads
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2016)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)
Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2012/13)

If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated delayed/cancelled international flights (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by PittAir
Add this to the mix. Just got off UA 896 HKG to ORD...Got to gate at 3 pm.

I'm Global Services and have a 330 connection. Not that I expect too much from GS given the need to clear customs and then TSA again, but it was kind of humorous that the GS agent who met me at the gate handed me a boarding pass and said "you have Global Entry and Precheck. Run!"
I don't think running from T5 to T1 in that timeframe even in an imaginary world with no immigration, customs, or TSA (and a functioning people mover) would be possible.

I guess they were taking into account the 3:30 might take a delay, might as well get over there and see...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:53 pm

789 #3961

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Anyone know what happened with UA 891 on 8/4? Flight aware shows a diversion to HNL.
The aircraft is currently deadheading back to SFO as flight UA2756, and is scheduled to operate tonight's SFO-SYD flight UA863.

That particular aircraft seems to have had an eventful last few weeks, for a diverse set of reasons. First it blew an engine on takeoff from SFO to SYD (in the second week of July, IIRC). A week or so later it diverted a MUC-SFO flight to IAD, presumably for a crew change after what appeared to be a long (3+ hours?) MUC departure delay for weather reasons. And now, unexplained odors in the forward cabin. An expensive month for #3961 , I would guess.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
Broken 757 in Stockholm = ferry flight back to EWR via YHZ

Originally Posted by cos999
8/6 UA 2804 ARN-EWR departure moved from 12 to 14:00 due to MX. 8/6 UA 69 ARN-EWR went out full ontime and UA 2804 seatmap shows only 40 of 169 seats occupied.
8/6 UA 2804 Canceled after 4+ hour delay due to MX, now scheduled as UA2812 on 8/7. But now that flight just canceled due to
"Operational Difficulties" and will be ferried back to EWR as UA 2739 on 8/7 via a 50 minute stop in YHZ. (UA Hull N57111)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Smelly plane

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Anyone know what happened with UA 891 on 8/4? Flight aware shows a diversion to HNL.

nrg
My wife was due to fly from PVG>SFO on this equipment but the flight was cancelled. She was placed on another flight and got a Global First seat. The FA told her that someone on UA891 pooped in a blanket and then stuffed it into the overhead. No one could find the source of the smell so they diverted.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gratefulspouse
My wife was due to fly from PVG>SFO on this equipment but the flight was cancelled. She was placed on another flight and got a Global First seat. The FA told her that someone on UA891 pooped in a blanket and then stuffed it into the overhead. No one could find the source of the smell so they diverted.
Wow! Further proof that truth is stranger than fiction.
flyertalker00398284 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:13 pm

Looking at the map I am guessing about five hours out of SFO and almost three hours to HNL

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...29961#1d633573

That is quite some diversion

But no laughing matter
Passengers on SFO-PVG & return flight PVG-SFO inconvenienced
Costs incurred to UAL would not be insignificant either

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2018 at 10:02 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aspen
Looking at the map I am guessing about five hours out of SFO and almost three hours to HNL

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...29961#1d633573

That is quite some diversion
I had just landed at HNL from LAX that day and saw the Shanghai flight at the gate and knew something was up. I stopped at the UC and everyone was asking if I was on the diverted flight.

What I thought was weird, I thought that flight takes a more more northerly routing and was surprised to see it at HNL - I'd have expected it in Anchorage over Honolulu.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2018 at 10:03 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What I thought was weird, I thought that flight takes a more more northerly routing and was surprised to see it at HNL - I'd have expected it in Anchorage over Honolulu.
Winds have been very light, which allow a flat route across the Pacific. SFO-HKG last week we flew about halfway between Hawaii and the Aleutians.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:46 am

UA 83 DEL-EWR delayed today and tomorrow for 18 hours each. Insane!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Wow... lol
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
What catering issue delayed UA79 EWR-NRT by 8 hours today (10AUG)?

Flying home from a few days in NYC on business and while waiting for our delayed flight to board, I was hearing increasingly...distressed? Hostage-negotiator-esque? PAs from a few gates over which was UA79 EWR-NRT.

What first caught my ear was when an agent/supervisor mentioned that she had been monitoring the flight since 11am this morning. I should mention this was ~7:00PM local.

Putting together the pieces from the PAs apparently that was rotten food that needed to be removed from the aircraft... catering eventually came and removed the food ... catering didn't bring new food ... they weren't sure when catering would bring new food .. "no, sir, we can't just send the flight without any food, yes, I understand sir" .. catering is bringing new food now.

So I'm really curious about the root cause just because of how absurd it was starting to sound... also because the departure was delayed by nearly 9 hours (surely they went through a crew or two during that time) ... so anyone have the big picture here?

(Also curious because my wife and I will be on this flight in about 15 days for our first anniversary so my senses are heightened about anything odd that may scuttle things )
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Without looking at any internal stuff, my guess would be that there was a delay for some other reason (mechanical, crews, weather, etc) and then the food spoiled in the meantime.

I forget exactly what sort of cooling systems the 77W has, but I don't think they'd be very effective on the ground.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fezzington
Without looking at any internal stuff, my guess would be that there was a delay for some other reason (mechanical, crews, weather, etc) and then the food spoiled in the meantime.

I forget exactly what sort of cooling systems the 77W has, but I don't think they'd be very effective on the ground.
Now that the flight landed flifo on united.com the posted delay reason is "aircraft maintenance" so you're almost certainly correct -- I just thought it was odd that all of the PAs were regarding catering... but I also wasn't at the gate at 11am when things started to go down. This is definitely a case where the "expanded" flight delay reason that's been showing up in some places would have been interesting to read
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA69 ARN-EWR 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA842 SYD-SFO 789 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA892 ICN-SFO 789 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:27 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
8/16/18 UA 857 SFO-PVG diverted to SEA due to Typhoon in Shanghai. That inbound airplane was supposed to be my outbound tonight

Last edited by chipmaster; Aug 17, 2018 at 3:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.