Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Old Dec 29, 17, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).


New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E


Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.





https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-753

Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Old Apr 29, 19, 12:10 pm
  #241  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,476
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
Yeah, we hadn’t seen these too much at ORD until recently.
Originally Posted by augkor View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about whether either the aisle seats in 21 or 23 are better? (21CD vs 23 CD) Or are they essentially equal?
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
23 reclines, 21 does not.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito View Post
Row 21 is a true exit row with extra pitch. Row 23 is a regular E+.
Originally Posted by COEWR2587 View Post
Does Dow 21 have limited recline?
I have to admit that as a ORD flyer I have not paid any attention to this. I only flew one time on a 753 and it was in April 2018. On all my other flights to/from SFO and LAX it was always 738s and 739s.

So, now on my return from LAX on Wednesday I will be on a 753 and I have seat 21C. Is it true that that seat has no recline at all?
StuckinITH is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 1:38 pm
  #242  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 6,694
Originally Posted by augkor View Post
There is no underseat storage for either of the window seats in row 8 (A or F). A is directly next to the entry door and F has space, but the galley is the next thing forward after the space. The only way to get underseat storage in 8F would be to convince the person in 8E to share their underseat storage. Might work if you are traveling as a pair.
Perhaps a better way to put this is that only 8D and 8E have under-seat storage space because the rest of row 8(ABC, F) has no seat in front of it. This is for the new configuration. For the old one, 8ABC is the second row of seats; 8DEF is bulkhead.
drewguy is offline  
Old Apr 29, 19, 2:48 pm
  #243  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 61,983
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
...
So, now on my return from LAX on Wednesday I will be on a 753 and I have seat 21C. Is it true that that seat has no recline at all?
The row in front of an exit row has the seat recline disabled to prevent block emergency exiting.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 2, 19, 11:57 am
  #244  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,476
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The row in front of an exit row has the seat recline disabled to prevent block emergency exiting.
Yes, no reclining. But I did get the last burger.
drewguy likes this.
StuckinITH is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 2:32 pm
  #245  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Anywhere but home
Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 4,461
Boarding this plane takes forever! Over 40 min and pax still coming on board. OHB space filled up early despite numerous pax gate checking bags. Note to self: avoid this plane when possible.
FlytheTail is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 2:45 am
  #246  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,670
7D/E vs. 35C/D on an upcoming LAX-ORD flight?

In going through the thread, @prometa was clear that 7D and 7E get much light, interaction with the galley prep and exiting bypass by 8F. However, having lived through 21D (no recline) on a t.p.s. SFO-BOS 753 swap out, I'm certainly staying away from the 21 aisle seats. And, unfortunately, nothing available in 22 nor 23 aisle seats are taken.

However, 35C and 35D are available. Biggest issues as I understand it (as a 1K) for those seats are a) probably no burgers or fresh fare left by that row and b) proximity to lavs and seat narrowness due to fixed armrests. Also, are there really no power outlets in the 35 row?

For 7D and 7E, they recline, correct? Also, how cold does it get here? I've been in some of the more leaky exit rows on 752s and literally froze.

One other comment is, I'm connecting with around an hour between arrival into ORD and then back out to DCA on a 737-700. Hopefully, I'm only switching within B-gates or C-gates but I suspect I'll be doing the C-B tunnel dash no matter what.

Any/all feedback welcome and appreciated.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jun 2, 19 at 2:51 am
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 9:13 am
  #247  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago IL US
Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Posts: 944
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
7D/E vs. 35C/D on an upcoming LAX-ORD flight?

In going through the thread, @prometa was clear that 7D and 7E get much light, interaction with the galley prep and exiting bypass by 8F. However, having lived through 21D (no recline) on a t.p.s. SFO-BOS 753 swap out, I'm certainly staying away from the 21 aisle seats. And, unfortunately, nothing available in 22 nor 23 aisle seats are taken.
Yes on recline.

What is the attraction with "interaction with the galley prep," I don't understand? @prometa speaks to being smacked around by carts...

My 2 cents: opposite aisles is a clear winner.

Last edited by onthesam; Jun 2, 19 at 9:23 am
onthesam is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 11:53 am
  #248  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,995
I'd go for 7DE. Burgers won't run out. Faster off plane. I don't recall them being colder than other E+ seats (7F might be. E- is warmer because of passenger stuffing). I always have fleece with me anyway. Mid-cabin galley isn't used for prep - it's pretty much cart storage nowadays. As for getting "banged by carts" that's what happens when you stick body parts in the aisle at any row.

Downside - you have to board early to stow bags near your seat and because of this, you have to endure the rest of the boarding process where a percentage of the 10 dozen or so who might board behind you are unaware of their bags' proximity to your head/shoulder, arm at 7D. Some are also bothered by the lav queue at times.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:38 pm
  #249  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 61,983
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
.... are there really no power outlets in the 35 row? ...
All rows of the reconfigured 753 have power.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 12:40 am
  #250  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,670
Originally Posted by onthesam View Post
Yes on recline.

What is the attraction with "interaction with the galley prep," I don't understand? @prometa speaks to being smacked around by carts...

My 2 cents: opposite aisles is a clear winner.
Sorry - misquoted - yes, @prometa wasn't happy about the carts interacting with his sitting and leg space.

And thanks for confirming that there's recline in 7DE.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I'd go for 7DE. Burgers won't run out. Faster off plane. I don't recall them being colder than other E+ seats (7F might be. E- is warmer because of passenger stuffing). I always have fleece with me anyway. Mid-cabin galley isn't used for prep - it's pretty much cart storage nowadays. As for getting "banged by carts" that's what happens when you stick body parts in the aisle at any row.

Downside - you have to board early to stow bags near your seat and because of this, you have to endure the rest of the boarding process where a percentage of the 10 dozen or so who might board behind you are unaware of their bags' proximity to your head/shoulder, arm at 7D. Some are also bothered by the lav queue at times.
Thanks. After your post, I moved myself to 7D earlier this morning. Rechecking the flight now, 7E is also taken and the current gate info shows me having to dash from C15 to B12 - so the C-to-B tunnel jog/dash is currently on. Hopefully, I'll get the burger this time and make my connection as well

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
All rows of the reconfigured 753 have power.
Hmm. The table cited in the wiki appears to be associated with the slimlined 753 configuration and specifically leaves out most seats in the back as having power outlets (see last row):

David
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 11:48 am
  #251  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 61,983
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Hmm. The table cited in the wiki appears to be associated with the slimlined 753 configuration and specifically leaves out most seats in the back as having power outlets (see last row):
David
The table was for the previous version, it has now been updated.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 4:23 pm
  #252  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,670
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Thanks. After your post, I moved myself to 7D earlier this morning. Rechecking the flight now, 7E is also taken and the current gate info shows me having to dash from C15 to B12 - so the C-to-B tunnel jog/dash is currently on. Hopefully, I'll get the burger this time and make my connection as well

David
Well, I just checked in. No burger for me - I was upgraded into 4A on an RPU between LAX and ORD (which I frankly didn't expect given how poorly my RPUs have worked between the two hubs). So now I'll have to wait for a future trip to see how 7D (or 7E) or the 35C (or 35D) seats handle.

But, if current ORD gate assignments work, I'll be able to stroll from B7 to B12 to make my connection. And, yeah, every time in the past year that situation (B-to-B gate or C-to-C gate) T-24 (or even @ departure) assignments seem to be optimal for me, they've changed by the time I've landed at ORD.

My thanks to all for your feedback on this plane!

David
IAH-OIL-TRASH and Kacee like this.
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:20 pm
  #253  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,995
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
...No burger for me...
Sometimes the burger is better than the F choices. Still, nice to have the better seat (and not getting knocked in the head by passing bags).
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 7:42 pm
  #254  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,670
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Sometimes the burger is better than the F choices. Still, nice to have the better seat (and not getting knocked in the head by passing bags).
Yeah, it's amazing to me that folks haven't figured out how to not swing their bags and backpacks when they're heading down the aisle...Keenly aware of this and keep both a wary eye and my arms up ready to deflect any oncoming head whacking containers...

David

p.s. Yah, and if I don't think much of the F lunch, will request a burger from the back...
DELee is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 9:38 pm
  #255  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 12,995
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
...p.s. Yah, and if I don't think much of the F lunch, will request a burger from the back...
Which is why the burgers might not last until the cart gets to the fool in 35 C or D...
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread