Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
United has reconfigured its 757-300 planes to increase density, primarily by adding non E+ seats (1 fewer E+ seats, 22 more E seats).

New Configuration
Boeing 757-300 (753)
24F 54E+ 156E

Post 165 assesses Seats 7DE (and 8ABC) (summary - watch out)
The armrest between 23 B/C and D/E is movable.
The inboard armrest on 23A & F is fixed and contains the tray table.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-753

Previous thread:Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread

Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 757-300 Slimline (24F,54E+,156E-)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)

This should help with some 7DE and 8F questions.
The exit door juts a bit into row 7 but since there’s only two seats
it doesn’t encroach into your R side.
8F has pretty good leg room even with the door sticking out
in front of you but if you have long legs they will hit the door.
Galley is in front of row 7 but the bulkhead wall covering
it is far enough to allow good legroom for 7E, maybe even an
inch or two more than row 1 in FC.
7D on the aisle seems even roomier.

Slimline 753
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Do these aircraft get new F seats at the same time as the slimline Y mod, or is F on a different schedule?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by aindfan
Do these aircraft get new F seats at the same time as the slimline Y mod, or is F on a different schedule?
Yes - they receive the new domestic F seat concurrently with the Y reconfiguration.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Yes - they receive the new domestic F seat concurrently with the Y reconfiguration.
If these new seats are the ones with the plastic “granite” tray
between the seats in place of the old slide out
and the ones where the recline action moves the bottom
of the seat forward when you recline, they are
incremental at best.

Oh, there’s also a narrow slot on one side for stuff—
magazines?

Not to be cynical but I’m thinking Barcalonunger 2.0
Or maybe 1.5
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weezl
If these new seats are the ones with the plastic “granite” tray
between the seats in place of the old slide out
and the ones where the recline action moves the bottom
of the seat forward when you recline, they are
incremental at best.

Oh, there’s also a narrow slot on one side for stuff—
magazines?

Not to be cynical but I’m thinking Barcalonunger 2.0
Or maybe 1.5
The barcalounger was better, since it had a leg rest.

Also that slot is not for magazines, it is for the previous passenger's oreo wrapper.
US @ DEN likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
The barcalounger was better, since it had a leg rest.
I am almost positive that a diminutive leg rest (support) came out when I reclined. Maybe it was a connector flight I was on though...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by fumje
I'm curious about what happens with row 9 for non-Premier members. Does anyone know? It's E+ in both old and new layout, so it is indeed odd that the placeholder doesn't show it as E+ or block it as done with 9DEF (which in and of itself is also weird).

I don't have any reservations left without my MP number attached, or I might be willing to test on myself.
I just tried this recently - I am United Silver, I had a seat in Row 9 on the hybrid seatmap. When it switched over to the actual Seat Map at 48 hours out, Row 9 was Economy Plus and I was seated there for free because I had selected the seat before the seatmap changed, when it was still labeled as regular economy. To switch to a different seat in Row 9 after the seat map changed, it would cost over $100
atword likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Seems like this behavior is consistent with UA's allowing elites to select and retain E+ seats even after losing elite status (barring equipment change).

What's curious here is that in either configuration of 757, row 9 is E+ - so why is United making it not E+ for this placeholder configuration?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I have been flying this config twice a week, and I have to say that row 7D & E seats are my favorite. They still recline and it feels very roomy since there is really nothing around you or above you, and there are only 2 of you in the row. You can even store your personal item below the first class seats in the other cabin during take off and landing. I will select these seats from now on.
drewguy and chavala like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jayzala
You can even store your personal item below the first class seats in the other cabin during take off and landing.
You can what?? Maybe I was completely out of it when I boarded one of these things, but I thought there was still a galley at 2R. All of Row 6 backs onto a hard bulkhead.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
That is correct, there is still a galley, and to store your item below row 6, you'll need to unbuckle and walk a few steps to the next cabin to store your stuff away. I've often just told the FA's what I was doing, and they were fine with it.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Seems like this behavior is consistent with UA's allowing elites to select and retain E+ seats even after losing elite status (barring equipment change).

What's curious here is that in either configuration of 757, row 9 is E+ - so why is United making it not E+ for this placeholder configuration?
They seem to be listening.. this is now fixed and 9ABC are showing as E+ for me on the placeholder seatmap.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
So...is row 21 the safest advanced pick, since it is an exit row in both configurations? That, and 7D?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by legalalien
So...is row 21 the safest advanced pick, since it is an exit row in both configurations? That, and 7D?
Row 21 in the high density configuration is the only true exit row.

There is no 7D in the old configuration.

It is best to check seat map at 72, 48 and 24 hour mark. Usually correct seat map will be loaded by then. If you do not see row 20, then you know it is a temporary place holder.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by jayzala
I have been flying this config twice a week, and I have to say that row 7D & E seats are my favorite. They still recline and it feels very roomy since there is really nothing around you or above you, and there are only 2 of you in the row. You can even store your personal item below the first class seats in the other cabin during take off and landing. I will select these seats from now on.
I couldn't disagree more. Sat in 7D yesterday with my wife in 7E, and will avoid those two seats on any future flights.

Yes, you do get a bit more leg room, especially in 7D since you can extend your legs into the aisle. You're also the first out the door once the plane lands, which is nice. However, those perks come at a significant cost:
  • The orientation and tightness of the galley means you feel like you're sitting in the galley with the FA while he/she prepares the bar cart/coffee/tea (the flip side is I now know more than I ever thought I would about the details of how the bar carts are loaded and built). The FA has to pull the cart out of the galley into the open space in front of you and row 8A-C in order to assemble and prepare it, because there is no open space in the galley for prep.
  • The tightness of the galley means that while the FA in front of you is prepping, everyone else has to squeeze by, and often needs to stand in your leg room in order to get by.
  • The service carts have to turn 90 degrees to go from secured to up/down the aisle, and space is tight so you'll probably have to lean away from the aisle to not get bumped
  • You have no overhead bins above you, which means that you MUST put your bags behind you. You have to be quick and pushy once landed to get your stuff before the aisle is blocked (jayzala was able to put his/her bags in front of the last F row, but on my flight, crew bags occupied all of that space)
The galley tightness also soured the experience of people in 8A-C on my flight, and the FAs, while doing an admirable job, also looked cramped and a bit stressed.

It was bad enough I commented on the post-flight survey that UA should leave the galley as is and omit the 7D/E seats in future retrofits.

There's a couple other things worth mentioning too:
  • The overhead light is built into the roof of the plane. You'll need to be tall AND standing to reach it. It's a superwhite LED that flooded the entire row with bright light -- great if you all want to read, but it ended up disturbing my seat mate. I think the lenses in the lights are the same as the rest of the plane, so focused assuming an overhead bin to seat distance not a roof to seat distance. That wrong focal distance means light floods more area than usual. Let me say again, the lights are BRIGHT. I would hate sitting in that row trying to sleep while a seatmate reads.
  • Since you're sitting in front of a door, you have no window. There's a fisheye porthole on the exit door, but you won't see much. If you don't care about windows, though, it won't bother you
  • The galley light is above the aisle, so it's even brighter than usual sitting near the galley on a night flight, even with the cabin lights fully dimmed..
danpeake and drewguy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.