Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:28 am

Sunday’s KOA flight was over 90 minutes late and the reason given on status tracker is “catering difficulties”. I guess someone had to run to Costco for peach cups? This plane came in from IAH - why couldn’t they cater the KOA flight there?!
gcashin and SkiPremier like this.

Last edited by Kreid33; Feb 26, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Kreid33
Just received the below response to an email I sent 2+ weeks ago asking for an update on the kitchen problems for my upcoming flight (early March). So fruit in April. Maybe? Such great customer service... Thanks for your money. We’re not giving you what you paid for so feel free to go buy your own lunch.
——-
Dear Mrs.
I can certainly understand your concern and disappointment as we too are disappointed that the catering is not yet back to normal.
Until we resume full service, customers and crews on some Denver-departing flights will continue to have alternative food options.

Currently, we are bringing the service back in several phases which should begin in April or May with the return of fresh fruit; followed by other fresh produce such as leafy greens and vegetables, and then finally the remainder of the menu along with Special Meals (which are currently unavailable). We are very sorry for this inconvenience. We are currently doing the best we can to offer alternative food options however you may wish to bring your own food, which you are certainly allowed to do.

thank you for your time and know that we look forward to welcoming you aboard your upcoming trip.
Well that is the most complete response from UA we have received since the onset of this issue. Thanks to the OP for posting!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Well that is the most complete response from UA we have received since the onset of this issue. Thanks to the OP for posting!
Agree! Finally something more descriptive from United.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:32 pm

Just received the below response to an email I sent 2+ weeks ago asking for an update on the kitchen problems for my upcoming flight (early March). So fruit in April. Maybe? Such great customer service... Thanks for your money. We’re not giving you what you paid for so feel free to go buy your own lunch.
——-
Dear Mrs.
I can certainly understand your concern and disappointment as we too are disappointed that the catering is not yet back to normal.
Until we resume full service, customers and crews on some Denver-departing flights will continue to have alternative food options.

Currently, we are bringing the service back in several phases which should begin in April or May with the return of fresh fruit; followed by other fresh produce such as leafy greens and vegetables, and then finally the remainder of the menu along with Special Meals (which are currently unavailable). We are very sorry for this inconvenience. We are currently doing the best we can to offer alternative food options however you may wish to bring your own food, which you are certainly allowed to do.

thank you for your time and know that we look forward to welcoming you aboard your upcoming trip.
Of course, "fresh fruit" could easily mean, "Have a banana. Or an apple. Enjoy!"
Kreid33 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
The whole catering issue is becoming a farce. At least they used to load a breakfast option of yogurt and boxed cereal, but the last three morning flights I have taken to Denver in the past ten days have only been loaded with the “cheese tray.” Don’t get me wrong, I like a European breakfast, but that should consist of real cheese and real meats, not cheese product and greasy shelf-stabilized “sausage.”

I don’t get why they don’t just offer vouchers for $15 for a breakfast at the terminal when they keep sending me ETCs for $100 or 15,000 miles. Seems so odd.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
——-
Dear Mrs.

What's absurd is it takes 7+ months to resolve this issue. They could literally build a brand new kitchen from the ground up in that time. Of course this is the company that takes a year to replace a coffee vendor, 9 months to change the ice cream bowls and 5 years to fully merge two airlines together.
demkr and Kreid33 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
I don’t get why they don’t just offer vouchers for $15 for a breakfast at the terminal when they keep sending me ETCs for $100 or 15,000 miles. Seems so odd.
We are a small subset of the customer base. Cheaper for them to give $100 in UA funny money to the occasional pax who complains rather than $15 to everyone.
FlyngSvyr likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:18 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
We are a small subset of the customer base. Cheaper for them to give $100 in UA funny money to the occasional pax who complains rather than $15 to everyone.
That is a false savings, because who knows how many F customers will be so turned off by the product (and not know / how to complain) that they'll simply not pay for F in the future.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TA
That is a false savings, because who knows how many F customers will be so turned off by the product (and not know / how to complain) that they'll simply not pay for F in the future.
Early on in this, I talked to someone in a boarding line at IAH who didn't know what had happened and thought United was just downgrading the food and wasn't happy about it. It has gone on so long that I still think United is hoping no one notices. Here in Denver, we have a pretty healthy economy so there must be some way to have fixed this. Amazon has a warehouse out toward the airport. United just needs that Prime membership and to order a couple of days ahead of each flight
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS
Just boarded DEN-IAD. Mac and cheese or lentil chili. No veggies or such.
They can’t even mix it up in over 4 months.
And agent at GS check in claimed catering is back to normal
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Because not everyone is getting the ETCs or using mileage. I complained about the food in "United First" on my DEN-HNL flight back before Christmas and got nothing. I suspect most people didn't even bother complaining. They're ahead of the voucher game if they only give 1 person out of 8 (or lower ratio) an ETC. Miles would do nothing for me as I have little opportunity to burn my award miles. I've had one flight in the last decade where I was able to use my mileage for an upgrade and it just hasn't been worth burning them on award flights for the limited personal travel I do (one major international trip per year plus one visit home to visit family at Christmas time).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Of course this is the company that takes . . . 5 years to fully merge two airlines together.
Except it's still not done, and we're coming up on the six year anniversary
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
United is pretty much the only F game in town ex-DEN.

Originally Posted by TA
Only way this hurts UA is if pax not only decide not to pay for F but leave for WN or F9. My hunch is UA isn't losing too much of their captive customer base on account of the DEN catering issues and in this economy there's enough F demand to fill the front of the planes even if folks were to opt to ride in back because their meal has been extra-crappy.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
United is pretty much the only F game in town ex-DEN....
But what about all the traffic that connects through DEN? I won't book F through DEN any more. So they lost some revenue in the trips that I've booked in Y as a result.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:51 am

DEN catering issues!

What’s going on with UA catering out of Denver? Last night I was on a DEN-SEA flight. They had “cheeseburger”, chips, some fruit cup, and cheesecake. Not the typical meal w rolls salad etc. Disappointing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.