Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jm0933
United operates out of Terminal B at DIA. It does require a train ride but it's very quick, 6 or 7 minutes max including wait time to get between B and C.

The bigger wildcard in how long it takes to get from the restaurant in C to your gate actually may be how long it takes to walk from the train in terminal B to your gate, because terminal B is extremely long. They usually put larger planes closer to the center (AKA closer to the train) as the gate areas are larger but a 752 might be out a little farther, depending on gate availability.

I would take the 7 minutes for the train ride and add 5 minutes if your gate is close to the center, maybe 10 if if you have to walk halfway to the end. Very unlikely you'll have to go all the way to the end as those are usually smaller mainline planes or UX flights. There are moving walkways that are usually working but are guaranteed to be out of service if you're counting on them.
There is only 1 terminal at DEN, the Jeppesen Terminal, with 3 concourses, UA is on the B concourse and the PP restaurant is on the C concourse, easy 1 min train ride and everything is airside.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Elway's
Seems that everyone is trying to eat at Elway's these days, we got to the airport a over 90 mins before departure and with Clear and PreCheck was on the train and to Elway's rather quickly but they had a "30 to 45 min wait" (it looked packed, including the bar area) so couldn't make that work. As it turned out I had a large lunch so wasn't super hungry and ended up going to some French place that was ok, not great by any means but not terrible either. Boarding the flight I saw them loading catering including meals and for a second thought...huh did they fix things but it turned out they only had some burger on offer or they were offering F pax a choice from the Y menu snack boxes and the FAs made an announcement about the lack of fresh food. As I had eaten already I passed on the burger, as did most of the cabin, but did get a bag of chips. The FAs were actually really great and I heard them explaining the issue to a couple pax that were confused about why there was only a single choice (hamburger) - in all the service was really good and the crew did a solid job with what they had to work with. That said I'm befuddled by how both AA (LAX) and UA (DEN) cannot unscrew their catering issues after so many months...I get that these are not weekend projects but that these issues persist after 3+ months does make me wonder whose driving the bus because there's really no excuse for how long these Listeria issues have gone on and its not really fair to the FAs who have to deliver the message.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wrote in to 1K Voice after one of those inedible undressed burger meals with the prison-style fruit cup and got the following reply today (almost two weeks after I sent my complaint):

Dear Transportprof:

I'll be happy to assist you.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with the meals served in our First Class cabin on your recent flights. I can only imagine your disappointment as you were looking forward to a pleasant dining experience.

I understand we didn't meet your expectations and I appreciate your constructive comments. I've sent them on to Food Services for review so we can determine how to improve in the future.

Transportprof, we appreciate your business and Premier 1K loyalty; on behalf of our United family, we look forward to welcoming you aboard your next flight.

Regards,
Is it worth further follow up? Sounds like they lumped me in with the "didn't like his meal" category and are not recognizing that there is a particular problem out of Denver.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My speculation is that the plan is to turn as much of DEN into snack flights as they can get away witth and contract out the rest. The delay is in getting those arrangements in place. We’ll see.
onthesam likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Is it worth further follow up? Sounds like they lumped me in with the "didn't like his meal" category and are not recognizing that there is a particular problem out of Denver.
Based on comments upthread, it sounds like their first level strategy is now to ignore the DEN catering complaints.

They were probably giving out too many e-certs.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Based on comments upthread, it sounds like their first level strategy is now to ignore the DEN catering complaints.

They were probably giving out too many e-certs.
Agreed. I got e-certs for every F flight out of DEN over the last few months, then they just stopped. Stopped the e-certs and usually just don't even respond.

I had a disgusting experience with service in F last week and no response.

Last edited by zdog2x; Feb 10, 2018 at 11:32 am
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Any idea if these issues are impacting DEN-NRT? Just curious if there is any issues with their international flight, particularly with DEN-LHR starting in a few months.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
.... Is it worth further follow up? Sounds like they lumped me in with the "didn't like his meal" category and are not recognizing that there is a particular problem out of Denver.
What is the objective? To file your dissatisfaction with the DEN catering situation or to get an ETC?
If the former, no followup seems needed but if the latter, then you need to make more noise -- seems the reports of ETCs have dropped off quite a bit, UA may be getting more selective.

UA may also be looking at the number of ETCs an individual has received for this issue.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any idea if these issues are impacting DEN-NRT? Just curious if there is any issues with their international flight, particularly with DEN-LHR starting in a few months.
reports upthread confirm that NRT is receiving normal catering. I’d expect the same to be true for LHR when that starts.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any idea if these issues are impacting DEN-NRT?
Catered from IAD, where the aircraft originates.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Are there any bloggers or Twitter or Instagram feeds that could help bring some public embarrassment to UA on this to move things faster?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ryan182
Seems that everyone is trying to eat at Elway's these days, we got to the airport a over 90 mins before departure and with Clear and PreCheck was on the train and to Elway's rather quickly but they had a "30 to 45 min wait" (it looked packed, including the bar area) so couldn't make that work. As it turned out I had a large lunch so wasn't super hungry and ended up going to some French place that was ok
I grabbed a sandwich from Woody Creek last time I went through DEN.. not as upscale as Elway's but I was able to take it onto my flight and I thought it was quite good.
kale73 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is the objective? To file your dissatisfaction with the DEN catering situation or to get an ETC?
If the former, no followup seems needed but if the latter, then you need to make more noise -- seems the reports of ETCs have dropped off quite a bit, UA may be getting more selective.

UA may also be looking at the number of ETCs an individual has received for this issue.
Ideally, United would be trying to both address customer feedback and provide service recovery measures for dis-satisfied customers who paid for front cabin tickets and got these pseudo-meals. I don't intend to push it. Nor will I be buying any front cabin tickets through Denver again until this mess is resolved.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 5:42 pm

Now that I have Priority Pass, I can get a full meal at Timberline’s Steaks in the other concourse, but if I didn’t have that, and I wanted to eat beforehand, I’d head to Elway’s and ask for Johnathan. His fantastic service will make you want to kick OTG and their iPads to the curb.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I expect the gov't to waste time as they so often do, but this is purely in UA's control and lack of communication or real results is pure absurdity. We are getting beyond cost issues at this point, and more about a new direction UA has decided is the new path.
When we were there, they said something about the TSA monitoring security. So the gov probably has to sign off on any new plans. They took our name tags at the end of the day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.