Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

That assumes they have the capacity and capability
to cater and deliver to United’s specs, from that location. Also assumes the financials/contracts are in place.

I don’t know anything about LSG or the catering business to be honest, but based on what I do for a living, things that seem simple on the surface can be very complex once you start peeling the onion. Especially for a temporary situation that may have started short term and just snowballed from there.

Without being their contracts person, I wouldn’t know ...
But of course. I'm almost reticent to even respond in this forum anymore, because while arguments and counterpoints can be fun, they grow wearisome.

Facts: This started what, almost 6 months ago? The long term delay was known about 4 months ago, I think?

If one (LSG, in this case) wanted the business (they might?), and UA was willing to pay for it, wouldn't 4 months seem like something that might be able to be achieved? They (LSG) certainly have the kitchen space in that facility to produce it.

Or, they could just throw ETCs at the problem, subject their airport/fa staff to a nightmare, or not offer ETCs (as this thread proves), and generally make a mountain out of a molehill.

Take your pick, I really don't have a horse in this race.

If I know I won't have time to pick-up food due to meetings, I know better than to fly out of DIA during mealtimes on UA. It's really that simple.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I find it interesting that people think construction in a airport facility not owned by United is completely within the airlines control (or even much at all in United's control). I doubt this has anything to do with cost - probably more to do with unions, permits, inspections, approvals, etc.
I haven't even flown through DEN since this debacle started, but I think what has folks here most upset is that United isn't clearly communicating anything. If they even came out with a statement that said pretty much exactly what you did ("We sincerely regret that, due to factors beyond our control such as permitting and inspection delays, we are not yet able to offer the quality of food in our first-class cabins that our customers expect and deserve. Unfortunately we still have no estimate as to when this situation will be rectified, but in the meantime we are offering a variety of alternate meal options to our valuable first-class passengers.")

If they wanted to be a world-class airline (like they used to be), they would even proactively offer compensation (something like 5,000 extra award miles on every F segment out of DEN) that wouldn't really cost them that much but that would show they understand the situation is really unacceptable.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This thread has become groundhog day. For like six months now.
onthesam and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

Or, they could just throw ETCs at the problem

If I know I won't have time to pick-up food due to meetings, I know better than to fly out of DIA during mealtimes on UA. It's really that simple.
A FC meal probably costs $8-$10, so I'm not sure what good that would do to give me a $10 ETC in the airport - and if you don't have time to pick up food anyway, what good would an ETC do anyway?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A FC meal probably costs $8-$10, so I'm not sure what good that would do to give me a $10 ETC in the airport - and if you don't have time to pick up food anyway, what good would an ETC do anyway?
ETC means "Electronic Travel Certificate." For purchasing UA tickets. They were giving these out in the $125 range for complaints about DEN F catering.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:39 pm

You're right, of course! I've received $100, $200, and even one for $350 when writing in about this over the last 5 months or so, but also nothing for the 2nd offense between the $100 and $200 etc. Yup, that's right, it took me 4 times to not book a lunch or dinner return from DIA.

Regardless, what good would an ETC do if I'm not booking a UA flight when I need it?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
ETC means "Electronic Travel Certificate." For purchasing UA tickets. They were giving these out in the $125 range for complaints about DEN F catering.
I would think most people would agree that is simply gaming the system - to get a $125 future travel certificate for a missing $10 meal replaced with a near $10 meal is a bit crazy to me. This is where it gets out of hand in my opinion, these are mid-con meals, not exactly some culinary delight.

What I would agree with, with the cheeseburger, which is far superior to what they used to serve anyway (I can't think of a single mid-con FC meal the past 5 years better than the cheeseburger), is give out a card explaining the situation on the tray, that is all they really need to do.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:51 pm

I would think most people would agree that is simply gaming the system - to get a $125 future travel certificate for a missing $10 meal replaced with a near $10 meal is a bit crazy to me. This is where it gets out of hand in my opinion, these are mid-con meals, not exactly some culinary delight.

What I would agree with, with the cheeseburger, which is far superior to what they used to serve anyway (I can't think of a single mid-con FC meal the past 5 years better than the cheeseburger), is give out a card explaining the situation on the tray, that is all they really need to do.
This is where you're wrong, I'm afraid. My $350 ETC was for DEN-HNL, paid F. I got a fruit cup and the burger with no lettuce, tomato, nor pickle, because DIA. Nothing else.

I don't care what their actual cost is, and since it's not disclosed, it's irrelevant to me. They can do better, and they should've.

End of story.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This is where you're wrong, I'm afraid. My $350 ETC was for DEN-HNL, paid F. I got a fruit cup and the burger with no lettuce, tomato, nor pickle, because DIA. Nothing else.

I don't care what their actual cost is, and since it's not disclosed, it's irrelevant to me. They can do better, and they should've.

End of story.
They should do better than a $350 travel credit? Alrighty, that seems way over the top to me - I honestly don't know how anyone would not be happy with that.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:05 pm

They should do better than a $350 travel credit? Alrighty, that seems way over the top to me - I honestly don't know how anyone would not be happy with that.
Oh lord, are we still continuing with this? It was a last minute client meeting, it was FULL FARE F and it was insanely expensive, at least they took the receipt into account when considering compensation. My connecting flight to DIA was also delayed, I had no opportunity to get food, and continued to do so all the way to Honolulu.

Thanks UA!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
There are times in life when a meal is priceless. UA's very guilty in DEN, so they're hoping they can settle with ETCs to keep this quiet. Legacy indeed.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I find it interesting that people think construction in a airport facility not owned by United is completely within the airlines control (or even much at all in United's control). I doubt this has anything to do with cost - probably more to do with unions, permits, inspections, approvals, etc.....

I doubt this has anything to do with cost given it is such a small expense in the big picture of UA revenue/profit.
Dn't forget that the catering facility is also airside so there are also security requirements to contend with on top of everything else.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by artvandalay
There are times in life when a meal is priceless. UA's very guilty in DEN, so they're hoping they can settle with ETCs to keep this quiet. Legacy indeed.
Agreed 1000x. Especially when one is a vegetarian.

Should I have known better, of course.

Was I able to rely upon meal services with my ticketed carrier? Of course not.

Had I not been delayed, I would've picked up real food. This one's not my fault and to infer I've been "gaming the system" is downright offensive. I didn't choose any of these scenarios for myself.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

I’m sorry. A piece of bad mystery meat on a bun with no condiments and with a thimble of shelf stable pre packed pineapple is NOT dinner and the issue is that they continue to market the flights as such.
iluv2fly, wrp96 and Kacee like this.

Last edited by milepig; Mar 30, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:30 pm

I would think most people would agree that is simply gaming the system - to get a $125 future travel certificate for a missing $10 meal replaced with a near $10 meal is a bit crazy to me. This is where it gets out of hand in my opinion
I fail to see how complaining to UA about its ongoing failure to meet its own published meal standards on DEN originating flights is "gaming the system." UA has elected to respond to such complaints by (sometimes) giving an ETC. That is entirely UA's decision.

But you do get points this time for at least using the term "travel certificate" correctly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.