Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEN first class catering issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I find it interesting that people think construction in a airport facility not owned by United is completely within the airlines control (or even much at all in United's control). I doubt this has anything to do with cost - probably more to do with unions, permits, inspections, approvals, etc.....

I doubt this has anything to do with cost given it is such a small expense in the big picture of UA revenue/profit.
Just a few comments since I'm local and done plenty of work at airports as both a contractor and as a manufacturer supplying material, including DIA. All of what you have assumed is wrong. Union labor isn't required, and security clearance is relatively quick. Inspections don't take any longer than any other project, nor do permits. But none of this is required anyway, as they aren't building a new facility. Given the length of time since this started, this now seems intentional on UA's part, nothing else.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I got a fruit cup and the burger with no lettuce, tomato, nor pickle, because DIA.
What do you think you would've gotten otherwise? I fly HNL-SFO, HNL-SFO-XXX, HNL-DEN-XXX, or HNL-EWR at least 40x times per year. I can speak from firsthand experience, whatever upgrade in food you think you;d get, just doesn't exist. The fact you got a $350 credit, which I'm fairly sure is 5* restaurant prices+, is incredible to me. (I also think the $200 credit I often get on the HNL-SFO is fairly ridiculous also for no personal device entertainment). Think about it, when I go to my favorite restaurant and they say, we are out of the Prime Rib, they don't give me a coupon for $100 for my next visit. If I go to the store and they are out of Milk, I don't get a coupon, etc....

I don't believe for a second, anyone flies DEN (not DIA) to HNL for the food - it is all about the lie flat bed. They would've given you any of the buy on board boxes in the back also.

It is so much ado about nothing except a money grab from fliers.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
They would've given you any of the buy on board boxes in the back also.

Not that there is any need to pile on here, but these statements feel way off base. When I recently complained, it was for two reasons on two itineraries through DEN ... the first was when I connected from the East Coast to SFO, the first flight had only the snack basket and the DEN-SFO the burger and no snack boxes in the back to pull from (despite asking). I can’t eat red meat, so I went 7 hours with nothing other than packaged nuts on a $1100 Paid F fare. Days later was an issue where I again connected from the South to SFO with only 25 min in DEN, and only the snack basket was offered on both segments, even though hot food was offered in Y to GS/1K. Ridiculous logic. Again, a $1050 paid F fare. I received a $200 ETC total for both incidents ... quite honestly, as a GS I spend $70k a year and don’t want the certificate at all ... just want a decent, honest, competitive F meal for the crazy fares being charged ... or in the very least some direct communication about the issue to allow me at least to make my own food plans.
PACLipper, narvik, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by jm0933
Polaris flights shouldn't be affected, I believe they're bringing in the catering from elsewhere for those routes.
I can confirm. I don't know where the food came from but it was the same I have experienced on other Polaris flights. Phew....
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I can confirm. I don't know where the food came from but it was the same I have experienced on other Polaris flights. Phew....
Which leads credence to the argument that when it is important to provide half-way decent catering out of DEN, UA can make it happen. Domestic F clearly isn't one of their priorities.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
What do you think you would've gotten otherwise? I fly HNL-SFO, HNL-SFO-XXX, HNL-DEN-XXX, or HNL-EWR at least 40x times per year. I can speak from firsthand experience, whatever upgrade in food you think you;d get, just doesn't exist. The fact you got a $350 credit, which I'm fairly sure is 5* restaurant prices+, is incredible to me. (I also think the $200 credit I often get on the HNL-SFO is fairly ridiculous also for no personal device entertainment). Think about it, when I go to my favorite restaurant and they say, we are out of the Prime Rib, they don't give me a coupon for $100 for my next visit. If I go to the store and they are out of Milk, I don't get a coupon, etc....

I don't believe for a second, anyone flies DEN (not DIA) to HNL for the food - it is all about the lie flat bed. They would've given you any of the buy on board boxes in the back also.

You keep getting corrected here on a number of falsehoods and wild accusations, so I'll just continue the trend:

1.I know what I would've gotten otherwise, and if you fly those routes so often, so do you. If not, you can look in the meal threads pre-October 2017 and see for yourself. What would make you think I was looking for an upgrade? You don't even make any sense with this comment.

2. When you go to your favorite restaurant, they have other things on the menu that you probably like. If they don't, you can drive to your 2nd favorite restaurant. On United, there is nothing else on the menu and you don't have the option at 38,000 feet to switch to another plane that might have different catering.

3. Of course no one flies out of DIA for the food (by the way, I used DIA as a reference to the airport, not a flight, as Denver International Airport is it's name), but we all have to eat, that's just the way our bodies are designed. And they would've given me any of the buy on board boxes in the back, if there were any. That was explained as a catering error to me, which really sums up this whole situation quite nicely.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just received a phone call from United from a very nice lady who called to apologize for the lackluster catering on my flight, and to offer a $125 ETC. She also said she would follow up with their food service manager.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Which leads credence to the argument that when it is important to provide half-way decent catering out of DEN, UA can make it happen. Domestic F clearly isn't one of their priorities.
I think it has more to do with how important the food is on international flights, than how unimportant it is on domestic flights. Poor food on a 3-4 hour domestic flight is annoying, but people would be raising hell if they were charging people for international J and not providing a decent meal service. I can see the news story now: Couple saves up thousands for their dream honeymoon, pays for Polaris - which is United's favorite product to advertise - and United serves them a microwaved cheeseburger rather than the food on the poster.

United is often dumb when it comes to PR, but they aren't that dumb.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Not trying to elicit snarky response here but can someone tell me why:

1. The company has not communicated what the underlying issue is to PAX or FAs?

2. The company has not clearly communicate the time frame to a resolution?

Betting there would be real pressure to resolve this faster if DEN was not a captive UA market.
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:38 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Not trying to elicit snarky response here but can someone tell me why:

1. The company has not communicated what the underlying issue is to PAX or FAs?

2. The company has not clearly communicate the time frame to a resolution?
There was some discussion a while back that possibly UA is not at liberty to discuss publicly the issue because of pending litigation. I don't know that it was ever confirmed as true, or just a possible explanation, or even plausible versus straight incompetence / lack of priority.
fezzington likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kreid33
Flew DEN-KOA last Wednesday and spinach and feta pizza, chips, fruit cup and cheese cake was the only meal option. Much worse for those in coach - wifi was down and many IFE systems were as well. They had no BOB burgers, pepperoni pizza or anything beyond snack boxes. Not sure what happened to make catering even more terrible. The FA blamed “the kitchen having issues today” of course. I was like you mean even more issues than normal and he laughed. FAs were nice about it - I know it’s totally out of their control so we just laughed about it.

Also, I really got a kick out of my “mai tai” which I believe was rum mixed with fruit cup juice ��.

My kids were less than thrilled with the spinach and feta pizza. All they had instead were snack boxes, fruit cups and cheese cake. Really was a long flight without decent food service or even an arrival snack beyond chips. We planned to eat at Timberline in DEN but we ended up running from our connection straight to the plane due to a medical emergency on our ORD-DEN flight.

Just got home last night and will fire off an email to them this week. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and get some points or a credit for 5 paid first seats. The seat was comfortable and the FAs kind but that meal service really takes away from the special flight experience I was giving my mom in celebration of her year after brain cancer diagnosis and surgery. On the positive side big island was amazing! Highly recommended Mauna Kea Beach Hotel if you’re planning a trip! It’s a beautiful and special place!

finally heard back from united and got 4 $75 credits for my 4 paid F tickets and 10k miles for my mileage redemption (yyz-koa via DEN). Not much but I have no status just their credit card which I’ll be ending at next AF. They have a problem not being truthful - maybe it’s a legal matter but I’m still annoyed that everyone from CR to FA play the this isolated incident card until you call them out. Oh well. This was a special occasion for my family so it is what it is and next time I’m splurging for the special experience I’ll go Delta or AC.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I flew DEN SFO on widebody and was served fruit out of a plastic cup. It was disgusting for first class. Along with no pillows, blankets, and headphones delta is looking much better for f service. United used to have great catering and now it is awful. It reminds me of PMCO food I had to endure out of IAH when continental was still around. I really hope they improve their food service out of denver soon! Maybe Delta will move their SLC hub to denver soon!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TA
There was some discussion a while back that possibly UA is not at liberty to discuss publicly the issue because of pending litigation. I don't know that it was ever confirmed as true, or just a possible explanation, or even plausible versus straight incompetence / lack of priority.
Not sure what kind of litigation would preclude telling customers or FAs that there is a problem or a timeframe for resolution.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I was told by 2 different UA personnel in DEN that the inaugural to LHR had the Business class catering spoiled prior to departure and ended up giving out gift certificates to Elways. Anything along those lines to be truthful?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I was told by 2 different UA personnel in DEN that the inaugural to LHR had the Business class catering spoiled prior to departure and ended up giving out gift certificates to Elways. Anything along those lines to be truthful?
I call fake news. For starters they’d give out vouchers and not specific gift certs.
N104UA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.